How can I make a Surefire Mini Scout M300A a throw monster?

rezin23

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if I should wait for the new Mini Scout light that is supposed to come out or just buy one now. I would like to get this light to 15,000 + Lux.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk to milkyspit about a "creemator" mod with a copper heatsink and a high drive leveo. Mod will bust out 12000 lux easily. Greatest limiting factor is the size of the head. Cant get a tighter beam from nearly any other optic or reflector that will fit in the kx2 head.

Carclo optics announced a new optic that will*just* fit in a kx1/2 head. Its ~22dia*15mmdeep. With xp-e the initial specs are somewhere about 5* beam and ~50 lux per emitter lumen. Overdrive an xp-e r2/3/4 at 1.4A and youll theoretically get nearly 14000 lux. With xp-g its ~8* beam and about 30 lux/lm. Probably slightly tighter hotspot and 20-30% increase in lux per lumen with the new xp-g2. Nice thing about the xp-g and especially the g2 oover the xp-e is much greater eficiency and output. So from that optic although lower intensity per lumen with a "g" led over the xp-e, the increase in overall output will mean an increase/match lux numbers, plus a larger more useful beam and brighter spill.

Unfortunately, search as I might I cant find anyone selling these new optics. Id expect it soon though. Its been about a year since it was announced.

rezin23

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, are there any other heads I could put on it?

N/Apower

Enlightened
I've played your game, what is the usage? Maybe I can save you some frustration.

How important is:

Throw
Spill
Regulated runtime
Durability of the lens/optic
Weight
Size

rezin23

Newly Enlightened
I've played your game, what is the usage? Maybe I can save you some frustration.

How important is:

Throw
Spill
Regulated runtime
Durability of the lens/optic
Weight
Size

This is going on a 6.7 lb. AR15, I would like it to be durable, light weight, and have good throw. Spill is less important and I carry extra batteries so run time is not a huge issue.

Thanks!

N/Apower

Enlightened
This is going on a 6.7 lb. AR15, I would like it to be durable, light weight, and have good throw. Spill is less important and I carry extra batteries so run time is not a huge issue.

Thanks!

Just how much throw do you need? The M600C that I have was notably more powerful than the M300A. Also, the M300A is said to run for 1.4 hours or some such embelishment, and yeah, I guess it does, but it drops out of regulation very quickly in my experience (owned one). The M600C will stay in regulation for +- 90 minutes.

Now, as to throw, the M600C I have has thrown equal to, or out-thrown every 6P module I have (XP-G2 LOP reflector by Nailbender, 5000K 375-ish OTF, XM-L by EDC-Plus 440OTF, those are the two meanest ones) EXCEPT! for my XP-G2 SMO reflector by Nailbender. It has nearly twice the lumens (half the run-time in regulation), and a near identical beam profile, and out-throws it by what I consider a noticeable but realistically insignificant margin. Maybe another 10-15 meters?

The M600C as it sits with an RDS and good darkness should be a 80-110m light depending on your vision.

I dumped the M300A and went M600C because it, to my eyes, looked like a 50-75 lumen boost, probably came close to doubling my regulated run-time (surefire's run-times are "until it drops to 50 OTF lumens"), and only added about 1-2oz, IIRC. The extra length of the M600C goes forward, so it doesn't matter to me. Even on my 10.5" SBR, it is a safe distance from the muzzle mounted on the end of the 7" VIS rail, based on the mock-ups I have done with measurements (SBR still in jail) on my 14.5" setup, so the length is kindof "free". Barrel is there, anyway. The weight is only a bit.

Now, I guess none of this helps you do anything with your M300A, but what I am saying is that on 1 CR123, you are going to be very limited either on power, or run-time, and definitely both compared to a 2-cell, which for size/weight is "free" for our application as outlined above.

After all my playing around, I am running the OEM KX2C head.

Your other option is to wait for this alleged 250 and 500 lumen scout, or buy the already released 500 lumen X300U.

Barring that, I would try to find an oldschool M30 malkoff and run the VME head, that will give you throw that is pretty similar to an OEM M600C, although my M600C does out-throw my Malkoff M60 by a slight margin.