How do I mod my p6o drop in flashlights to use AAs instead of CR123?

andrewj

Newly Enlightened
I want to get away from cr123s for safety reasons. I only use surefire batteries but it just isn't worth exposing my family to risk. Can someone help? thanks. I have just some cheap deal extreme flashlights, but I really like the red LED thrower for night hunting.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
3xcr123's and 2xAA's are the same length. You can buy a sleeve or make one with something as simple as rolled up card stock or poster board. The Sleeve is to make up the difference between the cr123's 16mm diameter and the AA's 14mm. You will also need to get a module that operates in the new voltage range.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a Rayovac DIY2AA LED. It supports P60 dropins with a bit of shimming. The head may require a strap wrench to remove, then take out its own lamp.

Rat6P

Enlightened
As mentioned you need to get an appropriate dropin (voltage range suited to your needs). There are heaps around.

Like Think2x said 2aa is 3cr123. This is probably the easiest mod.

FM has made specific aa hosts. He also has an 18500 body that would be perfect for 1aa.
Dereelight and Solarforce have specific tubes as well.

If you want to use a 2cr123 light for aa you will only get one battery to fit, but still a relatively easy mod. Just like think2x mentioned find something to roll up the same length as the battery tube. Find a metal spacer half the length of a cr123 cell to complete the circuit. Use you imagination. I have used cut down bolts etc and molded silastic around them to ensure a good fit. Or just wrap them in tape. I have some ball bearings that came from 4 sevens for charging rcr123 in an ultrafire charger - these do the job perfectly.

Or you could make up a sleeve/adapter that allows you to use a single aa or a single cr123 without carrying any extra parts around. I did post some pics of one I made up a couple of years back if you can find it. It worked with a 2cr123 light.

Obviously with a single alkaline/Nimh aa you will not get nearly the output you are used to with your cr123's etc.

Maybe sell you current lights and start again with lights more suited to your chosen battery chemistry

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned you need to get an appropriate dropin (voltage range suited to your needs). There are heaps around.

Like Think2x said 2aa is 3cr123. This is probably the easiest mod.

FM has made specific aa hosts. He also has an 18500 body that would be perfect for 1aa.
Dereelight and Solarforce have specific tubes as well.

If you want to use a 2cr123 light for aa you will only get one battery to fit, but still a relatively easy mod. Just like think2x mentioned find something to roll up the same length as the battery tube. Find a metal spacer half the length of a cr123 cell to complete the circuit. Use you imagination. I have used cut down bolts etc and molded silastic around them to ensure a good fit. Or just wrap them in tape. I have some ball bearings that came from 4 sevens for charging rcr123 in an ultrafire charger - these do the job perfectly.

Or you could make up a sleeve/adapter that allows you to use a single aa or a single cr123 without carrying any extra parts around. I did post some pics of one I made up a couple of years back if you can find it. It worked with a 2cr123 light.

Obviously with a single alkaline/Nimh aa you will not get nearly the output you are used to with your cr123's etc.

Maybe sell you current lights and start again with lights more suited to your chosen battery chemistry

Personally, I want an FM 1x123 body, Z44 head, Z41 stock tail, Z41 tail with Zerorez Shorty installed and a Malkoff M31LL. With that setup I can run from 1x123 (standard tail) or 1xAA (Zerorez Shorty tail) working voltage is 0.8-3.0, should be a good battery drainer.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a similar configuration for a G3 and a M31LL. The adapter tubes from Oveready are perfect.

Latest posts