New Fenix LD22 low mode = mid mode??

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
I just got an LD12 and a LD22. The LD22 low mode is == the Mid mode. Pressing the mode sw mid, mid, high, turbo....

I am testing with NEW duracell procell alkaline batteries. The LD12 works find so it is simple to compare. Any ideas before I return it for a replacement.

bummed out...

RJF

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
If you do a little searching (using the search box) you'll find out that the LD20/22 dont work so well with fresh alks or lithiums. The LD20/22 work best off eneloops or other LSD NiMh batts. Should stay away from alkalines anyways. Poor performers and prone to leakage.

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
I just found another thread. I have eneloops coming in the mail. Please excuse my quick trigger. I am learning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a legit question if you just received those lights even if the same issue is discussed over and over again.
It's probably been brought up for the older LD20 LD10 so if you did a search for the LD12 and DL22 you might no easily find a reply.
With Eneloops you won't have the same problem and your light will be safer! : )

Last edited:

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
Labrador72

Thanks for the reply. This forum is rather extensive and the search is not so great. BUT the google search on the other side of the screen works better. I also read a lot on my tablet or my phone so I do not have the forum UI in front of me.

It put a bad taste in my mouth so to speak to have a new light not work right with the batteries that the manufacturer says we should use. I am going to use NiMH batteries in it and I will have them tomorrow. IF that does not fix it then the light goes back.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course is your choice but really I wouldn't send the light back because of this "issue".
If alkalines didn't leak, I would consider this a limitation. The reality is, alkalines would be prone to leaking in any flashlight so even if you replaced your LD22 with another light that keeps the lower modes even with fresh alkalines, you'd still be risking to throw away a $50 flashlight because of a battery malfunction: in my opinion is not worth it.
I hardly ever use alkalines and never paid attention the time it takes for the alkaline voltage to go down enough for the low mode to work properly but I think with my LD20 is a couple of minutes on turbo would do the trick.

Good luck and enjoy your new light!

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
That is a great attitude and i agree. I really like the two new lights i bought and they will be safe.!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix's narrow voltage range does have one plus... they should be more efficient and have better runtimes at a given lumen level than a wide voltage light like a Quark, for example.

Course going direct drive on a lithium primary can be a pain... it's the best batt for storage and extreme temperature applications.

Burgess

Flashaholic
:bumpit:

lovecpf

UPDATE . . . . .

I'm wondering if the brand-new 2015 version
of the Fenix LD22 flashlight STILL has this limitation
of losing Low Mode if using Energizer Lithium L91 cells !

Because that would not be acceptable to me.

:shakehead

Anyone ? ? ?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
No idea but I can tell you that my HL30 had the same problem with Energizer AA lithium batteries - never tried with alkalines. Eearlier This year I bought the newly released HL30 2015 model and even the newer model loses the Low with Energizer batteries until voltage drops which takes a lot of use on Med or High. Considering I tend to use headlamps with Energizer lithium, especially for running, I wasn't too happy to see no change with HL30. No idea about the new LD22 but I wouldn't hold my hopes too high!

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
This problem of losing low mode is common on many 2xAA light...........not just the Fenix LD22. The issue is that the forward voltage drop of an LED is around 3.20v to 3.25v. Two brand new cells can be over that voltage............specifically the Energizer L91 lithium batteries. Since the voltage is under the Vf of an LED most of the time, the driver circuit is best accomplished with a boost type circuit. No point in making the driver more complicated for the short time the cells are still above Vf. For me the 2xAA form factor for LED lights is one of my least favorite. The only 2xAA lights I have are the glove box lights in the vehicles where they don't get used much.

Last edited:

Latest posts