Princeton-Tec EOS converting to bike light

69tr6r

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have an EOS headlamp. Does anyone know if it can be converted to a bike light? The light assy looks the same between the models.
Thanks.

rojos

Enlightened
If you're asking about the mounting hardware for the Eos vs the Eos Bike, they are different.

PrincetonTec

Newly Enlightened
If you're asking about the mounting hardware for the Eos vs the Eos Bike, they are different.

Correct, the back half of the housing is different on these lights. The headlamp version is meant to be attached to a 1" strap or webbing. The bike version has a system that allows one to switch between handlebar and webbing brackets.

A possible solution: remove the head strap (there are slots in the bracket to allow this) and use a 1" velcro strap to attach to helmet. Hope this helps.

-PTEC

69tr6r

Newly Enlightened
Correct, the back half of the housing is different on these lights. The headlamp version is meant to be attached to a 1" strap or webbing. The bike version has a system that allows one to switch between handlebar and webbing brackets.

A possible solution: remove the head strap (there are slots in the bracket to allow this) and use a 1" velcro strap to attach to helmet. Hope this helps.

-PTEC

I was hoping I could buy the parts from the bike light, but I guess that's not possible. The velcro sounds like it might work, I'll have to take a look at that. I wanted to mount to the handlebar though, any suggestions?

Thanks!

rojos

Enlightened
I wanted to mount to the handlebar though, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Get a 2xAA flashlight and a Twofish or similar handlebar block. Brighter and longer running than an Eos. And will be more stable on your bars than whatever rig you make for your Eos.

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
Get a 2xAA flashlight and a Twofish or similar handlebar block. Brighter and longer running than an Eos. And will be more stable on your bars than whatever rig you make for your Eos.

I agree - You'll get way way better performance out of something cheap that uses components from this decade. Wear the EOS on your head while you ride for additional visibility, but use a modern flashlight (XM-L or similar diode) with a generic handlebar mount as your main light. The EOS might give you enough light to see by when your eyes have adjusted to it, but a bright flashlight will make you much more visible in traffic.

The EOS is still fine, but it isn't great any more. It was great in 2004.