should i be concerned really at this loss ?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all,...;)

i have a good old fenix PD32, and joining this site, I found out about KLARUS, and in particular the XT2C.
my fenix has 315 lumens on turbo, and the XT2C has 470 on turbo right?.

should I be sad im missing out on the extra 155 Lumen loss?. does it matter that much?.

i still really like fenix.

thanks.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
hi all,...;)

i have a good old fenix PD32, and joining this site, I found out about KLARUS, and in particular the XT2C.

should I be sad im missing out on the extra 155 Lumen loss?. does it matter that much?.

thanks.

Brightness perception is logarithmic, not linear.

My Fenix PD30 is currently my favorite EDC. When I heard that there were some brighter lights available I compared the PD30 to something with about 75 more lumens and I was underwhelmed by the brightness difference for the price. That's when I learned about how brightness perception works.

The PD32 is a great light. The question is whether the XT2C delivers that much more in perceived brightness. Considering that 100 lumens does not appear twice as bright as 50 lumens, you need to weigh the cost/performance benefits.

Is there any chance of comparing them in person?

Bwolcott

Enlightened
its def brighter but the pd 32 throws further due to the xpg led vs the xml is the klarus, so really they are totally different lights, if you read more you will find out about even more lights that will blow the klarus away as well

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short answer: No. Longer answer: Noooooooo. There's so much more to a flashlight than just the lumen number in actual use unless your use is just bragging rights. Tint, beam profile, even size and UI affect utility. It's easy to have way too bright nowadays for some tasks. (That floody high lumen light can wash out night vision and show you all the stuff nearby but obscure the distant object you want to see or you can practically blind yourself on high looking at something very close.) Different tasks in the dark have different needs. Finding a light that hits a sweet spot to fulfill a bunch of uses is an art not measurable by one number. Figuring out what's useful in different situations is part of the learning and fun. The great thing is it's not that hard to indulge the "This one goes to 11" urge nowadays like starhalo said. I'd just encourage you to experiment with some different lights besides just hunting a touch brighter. Eventually you'll learn what you like and use.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
I feel the same. I'm fairly new to the game and the lumen factor was the first thing I would base a light on. But now I'm beyond that. I look to see if the light is a thrower (xpg) or more floody (XML). Then you go into the light itself. Is it a deep reflector? Shallow? Orange peel? Smo? Then I ask myself what I need the light for in terms of purpose. Then the ui. The ui is probably %70 of the decision. Then carryability. Will this be pocket carried? If so can it fit comfortably?

vectren45

Newly Enlightened
I've been down that rabbit hole also. Flood or throw. EDC or tool box, etc. Brighest is not always the best.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the fenix PD32 too, gave it away after I got the 4seven X 2-123.
If you used the 470 lumens light for a while then you use the 315 lumens light, you thought your 315 lumens light run low on battery.

hi all,...;)

thanks.

wjv

Enlightened
Lumens are just one measure.

For example. .

The PD32 is 315 lumen, and is rated for a throw of 141 meters with a cd of 3,200

Yet the Fenix E25 is only 187 lumen, but is rated with a throw of 156 meter and a cd of 6,112

So the E25 (on paper) is only 59% of the PD32, but yet throws 15 meters farther, with double the intensity.

Lots of factors to consider other than the lumens.

Additionally, the E25 has a 26 hour run time on low (27l) but the PD32 has a 200 hour run time on low (9l).
Which one works for you depends on your needs.

- lumen
- throw
- intensity
- run time
- size
- UI
- battery type
- quality

and so on. . .

I have a PD32 and my MagLite XL50 with 104 lumens easily out throws it because it has a focus-able head. But my PD32 can light up my entire back yard (and I live in an acre) far better than the XL50.

skynyrds first

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the light scene too, and on a big learning curve, but the advice been given by the members is very true. I too went for a big output, but never use it. The 25 lu low is plenty and it has a good flood on it, being an xml u2 led. There's so much to learn, but this is the place to do it. great site.:twothumbs

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all,...;)

thanks.

For the same reflector size, 300-400 is hardly noticeable. If it had a bigger reflector or extremely big gap in lux output, then you'd notice the difference.

For example, a 300 lumen thrower will appear brighter than a floody 400 lumen light because the lux of the 300 lumen light is much higher.

for the uninitiated, lux is the intensity of the light. the more concentrated the beam, the higher the lux.