AW RCR123A for Quark Pro QPLC?

walkngdude

Newly Enlightened
Hi I just bought a Quark Pro QPLC and I also have a Arc LSH-S modified (a guy from this forum serviced and changed the led) that take cr123 batteries. I want to get rechargeables and a charger but after reading here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?328738-Rechargeable-CR123-in-Quark-Mini-X I see CR123A lithium-ion batteries might be a bad idea.

Are there other rechargeable options that I can use or should I just start buying batteries in bulk?

I've got a handful of other LED lights that all take AAA and AA's that I use Enaloops with.

Thanks
Marc

Arc led aaa, Arc LSH-S modified, Fenix L1D, Fenix LD01, EagleTac P20A2, Sunwayman M40A and Quark Pro QPLC

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Quark Pro (and Tactical) are different than the Quark Minis. The QPLC is rated for 4.2V so 1xRCR123/16340 is fine for the light.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever the manufacturer suggests is what I'd stick with unless your in a gambling mood, I've bought 4sevens lights since their inception and I use to know every light model and every letter or number in it's name it was simple and the old website was fun, to be honest I don't even know what the QPLC is and I wish 47's would go back to the old model names. Looking at your link I guess the QPLC is the Mini X.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
QPLC. Quark Pro Lithium Clipless (0.9-4.2V)
ML-X. Mini Lithium Xml (0.9-3.0V)

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
Yeah they work real good on rcr, brighter. I recommend getting high quality batts like AW. My quark bounced them off overdischarge limiter often.

walkngdude

Newly Enlightened

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Set for 4.2V and 0.5A for the batt you linked to, you want to charge below the capacity of the batt, ie, < 1C.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
A RCR123 will be at 4.2v fully charged and will be ready for recharge by 3.6v.

Last edited:

walkngdude

Newly Enlightened
Cool, thanks.

They are protected so what, do they shut down at 3.6, do they dim or something or do I meter them every now and then? Also with my eneloops after I charge them I through them in a tray where I have about a dozen and they sit there for a long time until I need them. I assume that these RCR123's don't work that way or do they? How do I keep one ready for replacement?

weez82

Enlightened
Cool, thanks.

They are protected so what, do they shut down at 3.6, do they dim or something or do I meter them every now and then? Also with my eneloops after I charge them I through them in a tray where I have about a dozen and they sit there for a long time until I need them. I assume that these RCR123's don't work that way or do they? How do I keep one ready for replacement?

All your questions have been answered and there is lots of info already out there. I highly recommend looking in the battery sub forum and read the stickies or use the cpf google search option.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, thanks.

It is better not to discharge your protected RCR123's until they shut down, if you notice any dimming then recharge, if you have a meter then check them periodicly and try not to discharge below 3.7v. Li-ion batteries do not have a memory effect so you can top them off often, deep discharges are unhealthy for them.

LI-ion batt. will hold their charge better than the Eneloops.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with the above ^^ try not to let the protection circuit tell you when to charge, periodically meter the batt. You get a pretty good feel at how long the batt lasts. However I would try to avoid fully charging Li-ions and then let them sit waiting to be swapped into use.. After high heat, the greatest stress factor for Li-ions is a high state of charge - both reaching 4.2V and sitting there. Read up on Batteryuniversity.com. In the end, however, batts are cheap and you should weigh in the convenience factor.