Jetbeam        

Thread: G5 Maelstrom

Default G5 Maelstrom

Is the Maelstrom G5 worth $59 new, or would you spend your money on something more current ? Also do they work well with 18650's ?

Thanks Bruce

Flashaholic*

Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

I had one a few years ago, and I thought it did quite well. It throws about 250 yards, but there is a very slight dimmer area in the center of the hot spot. Not bad, but it is there. You don't really see it unless you are just pointing it at a wall.

The really nice thing about it is that on the lower setting around 25 lumens, the thing really still projects quite well for average use, and lets you get a lot of useful run time off a set of batteries because you don't have to crank it up to high all the time.

The beam is rather narrow, and made to be on the throwy side, but the spill is fairly decent and useful.
    It will work fine on a 18650.
    I'd say it's worth $59, if you want a mid-size 18650 thrower in the XPG category.

If you do pick one up. I'd buy the textured reflector to smooth out the beam.
    Last edited by AZPops; 10-21-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Flashaholic

I dont think you'll find a better rifle light for the price of $60 shipped. I got one in yesterday and the quality is amazing. I think it would work good for a search and rescue light too. Im liking the UI

Yeah for sixty bucks, this would be a good one to send off to Wayne to have a XP-G2 put in it, then ad a textured reflector!

What is the best 18650 for the G5 ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    I had one a few years ago, and I thought it did quite well. It throws about 250 yards, but there is a very slight dimmer area in the center of the hot spot. Not bad, but it is there. You don't really see it unless you are just pointing it at a wall.

The really nice thing about it is that on the lower setting around 25 lumens, the thing really still projects quite well for average use, and lets you get a lot of useful run time off a set of batteries because you don't have to crank it up to high all the time.

The beam is rather narrow, and made to be on the throwy side, but the spill is fairly decent and useful.
    It will work fine on a 18650.
    I'd say it's worth $59, if you want a mid-size 18650 thrower in the XPG category.

Flashaholic

ones with button tops (AW 2200mah). Flat tops need a spacer. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...=1#post2518668

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    What is the best 18650 for the G5 ?

Thanks
    This is almost like asking what is the best flashlight to buy. I think AW is over rated and prefer Eagletac 3100's. There is a ton of information on the 18650 on these forums. Best if you look up above and google your question. Probably even better to just buy from same vendor. That way when the light arrives, you will have your batteries. Going Gear sells Ealetacs at a good price.

I was going to have the Eagletac 3100's sent with the two G5's I ordered yesterday, but they were out of stock. I have a new xstar wp6 II with the xstar 3100 batteries for my K 40 thrower. Would that also be a good battery for the G5. From what I read on the old G5 thread, you should use 18650's on high instead of turbo because of the regulation ?

Thanks Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Yourfun2 View Post
    This is almost like asking what is the best flashlight to buy. I think AW is over rated and prefer Eagletac 3100's. There is a ton of information on the 18650 on these forums. Best if you look up above and google your question. Probably even better to just buy from same vendor. That way when the light arrives, you will have your batteries. Going Gear sells Ealetacs at a good price.

Is the Maelstrom G5 worth $59 new, or would you spend your money on something more current ? Also do they work well with 18650's ?

Thanks Bruce

think of it this way. how many lights were ACTUALLY designed to be weapon-mounted? very few. most lights have a PCB on the positive end of the battery that gets RAMMED by the battery during recoil. LOTS of surface-mount components on that PCB. the maelstrom g5/x7 are designed differently

let's quote david chow here:

the G5 and X7 were designed from ground up to be a
    weapon-mount light. It's dimensions and it's unique industry-first
    battery clamping mechanism that supports both 2xcr123a and 1x18650 and
    the optional digital remote switch tailcap were all part of the weapon
    mount design. As far as field testing, we've put thousands of rounds
    with a rifle mounted with the G5 without issue.

Whats important is that you cinch down the tailcap tightly before use.
    That secures the battery with the body of the light and ensures that
    the battery doesn't produce a "hammer effect" found in other lights
    that suspend the battery between springs. That could destroy your
    battery inside the light possibly causing a problem with the entire
    light. We completely solved that problem with our unique design that
    accommodates both 2xcr123a and 1x18650.

-David

I was going to have the Eagletac 3100's sent with the two G5's I ordered yesterday, but they were out of stock. I have a new xstar wp6 II with the xstar 3100 batteries for my K 40 thrower. Would that also be a good battery for the G5. From what I read on the old G5 thread, you should use 18650's on high instead of turbo because of the regulation ?

Thanks Bruce
    Their out of batteries because I just bought a bunch of them. Sorry about that!

Go here:

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...mary%20UK.html

For help to pick out a battery.

Thanks for the help.

Bruce

Where are these available for $59.00?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    Where are these available for $59.00?!
    http://goinggear.com/clearance?manufacturer=37