Jetbeam        
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: G5 Maelstrom

  1. #1

    Default G5 Maelstrom

    Is the Maelstrom G5 worth $59 new, or would you spend your money on something more current ? Also do they work well with 18650's ?

    Thanks Bruce

  2. #2
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    I had one a few years ago, and I thought it did quite well. It throws about 250 yards, but there is a very slight dimmer area in the center of the hot spot. Not bad, but it is there. You don't really see it unless you are just pointing it at a wall.

    The really nice thing about it is that on the lower setting around 25 lumens, the thing really still projects quite well for average use, and lets you get a lot of useful run time off a set of batteries because you don't have to crank it up to high all the time.

    The beam is rather narrow, and made to be on the throwy side, but the spill is fairly decent and useful.
    It will work fine on a 18650.
    I'd say it's worth $59, if you want a mid-size 18650 thrower in the XPG category.

  3. #3

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    If you do pick one up. I'd buy the textured reflector to smooth out the beam.
    Last edited by AZPops; 10-21-2012 at 05:06 PM.

  4. #4
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Posts
    443

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    I dont think you'll find a better rifle light for the price of $60 shipped. I got one in yesterday and the quality is amazing. I think it would work good for a search and rescue light too. Im liking the UI

  5. #5

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    Yeah for sixty bucks, this would be a good one to send off to Wayne to have a XP-G2 put in it, then ad a textured reflector!

  6. #6

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    What is the best 18650 for the G5 ?

    Thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    I had one a few years ago, and I thought it did quite well. It throws about 250 yards, but there is a very slight dimmer area in the center of the hot spot. Not bad, but it is there. You don't really see it unless you are just pointing it at a wall.

    The really nice thing about it is that on the lower setting around 25 lumens, the thing really still projects quite well for average use, and lets you get a lot of useful run time off a set of batteries because you don't have to crank it up to high all the time.

    The beam is rather narrow, and made to be on the throwy side, but the spill is fairly decent and useful.
    It will work fine on a 18650.
    I'd say it's worth $59, if you want a mid-size 18650 thrower in the XPG category.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Posts
    443

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    ones with button tops (AW 2200mah). Flat tops need a spacer. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...=1#post2518668

  8. #8

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    What is the best 18650 for the G5 ?

    Thanks
    This is almost like asking what is the best flashlight to buy. I think AW is over rated and prefer Eagletac 3100's. There is a ton of information on the 18650 on these forums. Best if you look up above and google your question. Probably even better to just buy from same vendor. That way when the light arrives, you will have your batteries. Going Gear sells Ealetacs at a good price.

  9. #9

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    I was going to have the Eagletac 3100's sent with the two G5's I ordered yesterday, but they were out of stock. I have a new xstar wp6 II with the xstar 3100 batteries for my K 40 thrower. Would that also be a good battery for the G5. From what I read on the old G5 thread, you should use 18650's on high instead of turbo because of the regulation ?

    Thanks Bruce

    Quote Originally Posted by Yourfun2 View Post
    This is almost like asking what is the best flashlight to buy. I think AW is over rated and prefer Eagletac 3100's. There is a ton of information on the 18650 on these forums. Best if you look up above and google your question. Probably even better to just buy from same vendor. That way when the light arrives, you will have your batteries. Going Gear sells Ealetacs at a good price.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* Overclocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,587

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    Is the Maelstrom G5 worth $59 new, or would you spend your money on something more current ? Also do they work well with 18650's ?

    Thanks Bruce

    think of it this way. how many lights were ACTUALLY designed to be weapon-mounted? very few. most lights have a PCB on the positive end of the battery that gets RAMMED by the battery during recoil. LOTS of surface-mount components on that PCB. the maelstrom g5/x7 are designed differently

    let's quote david chow here:

    the G5 and X7 were designed from ground up to be a
    weapon-mount light. It's dimensions and it's unique industry-first
    battery clamping mechanism that supports both 2xcr123a and 1x18650 and
    the optional digital remote switch tailcap were all part of the weapon
    mount design. As far as field testing, we've put thousands of rounds
    with a rifle mounted with the G5 without issue.

    Whats important is that you cinch down the tailcap tightly before use.
    That secures the battery with the body of the light and ensures that
    the battery doesn't produce a "hammer effect" found in other lights
    that suspend the battery between springs. That could destroy your
    battery inside the light possibly causing a problem with the entire
    light. We completely solved that problem with our unique design that
    accommodates both 2xcr123a and 1x18650.

    -David

  11. #11

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    I was going to have the Eagletac 3100's sent with the two G5's I ordered yesterday, but they were out of stock. I have a new xstar wp6 II with the xstar 3100 batteries for my K 40 thrower. Would that also be a good battery for the G5. From what I read on the old G5 thread, you should use 18650's on high instead of turbo because of the regulation ?

    Thanks Bruce
    Their out of batteries because I just bought a bunch of them. Sorry about that!

    Go here:

    http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...mary%20UK.html

    For help to pick out a battery.

  12. #12

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    Thanks for the help.

    Bruce

  13. #13

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    Where are these available for $59.00?!

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* jonnyfgroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    548

    Default Re: G5 Maelstrom

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    Where are these available for $59.00?!
    http://goinggear.com/clearance?manufacturer=37
    "Push back the night" - Bob Weir

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •