G5 Maelstrom

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Is the Maelstrom G5 worth $59 new, or would you spend your money on something more current ? Also do they work well with 18650's ?

Thanks Bruce

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one a few years ago, and I thought it did quite well. It throws about 250 yards, but there is a very slight dimmer area in the center of the hot spot. Not bad, but it is there. You don't really see it unless you are just pointing it at a wall.

The really nice thing about it is that on the lower setting around 25 lumens, the thing really still projects quite well for average use, and lets you get a lot of useful run time off a set of batteries because you don't have to crank it up to high all the time.

The beam is rather narrow, and made to be on the throwy side, but the spill is fairly decent and useful.
It will work fine on a 18650.
I'd say it's worth $59, if you want a mid-size 18650 thrower in the XPG category.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do pick one up. I'd buy the textured reflector to smooth out the beam.

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
I dont think you'll find a better rifle light for the price of $60 shipped. I got one in yesterday and the quality is amazing. I think it would work good for a search and rescue light too. Im liking the UI

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah for sixty bucks, this would be a good one to send off to Wayne to have a XP-G2 put in it, then ad a textured reflector!

RBH

Newly Enlightened
What is the best 18650 for the G5 ?

Thanks

I had one a few years ago, and I thought it did quite well. It throws about 250 yards, but there is a very slight dimmer area in the center of the hot spot. Not bad, but it is there. You don't really see it unless you are just pointing it at a wall.

The really nice thing about it is that on the lower setting around 25 lumens, the thing really still projects quite well for average use, and lets you get a lot of useful run time off a set of batteries because you don't have to crank it up to high all the time.

The beam is rather narrow, and made to be on the throwy side, but the spill is fairly decent and useful.
It will work fine on a 18650.
I'd say it's worth $59, if you want a mid-size 18650 thrower in the XPG category.

Yourfun2

Enlightened
What is the best 18650 for the G5 ?

Thanks

This is almost like asking what is the best flashlight to buy. I think AW is over rated and prefer Eagletac 3100's. There is a ton of information on the 18650 on these forums. Best if you look up above and google your question. Probably even better to just buy from same vendor. That way when the light arrives, you will have your batteries. Going Gear sells Ealetacs at a good price.

RBH

Newly Enlightened
I was going to have the Eagletac 3100's sent with the two G5's I ordered yesterday, but they were out of stock. I have a new xstar wp6 II with the xstar 3100 batteries for my K 40 thrower. Would that also be a good battery for the G5. From what I read on the old G5 thread, you should use 18650's on high instead of turbo because of the regulation ?

Thanks Bruce

This is almost like asking what is the best flashlight to buy. I think AW is over rated and prefer Eagletac 3100's. There is a ton of information on the 18650 on these forums. Best if you look up above and google your question. Probably even better to just buy from same vendor. That way when the light arrives, you will have your batteries. Going Gear sells Ealetacs at a good price.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Maelstrom G5 worth $59 new, or would you spend your money on something more current ? Also do they work well with 18650's ?

Thanks Bruce

think of it this way. how many lights were ACTUALLY designed to be weapon-mounted? very few. most lights have a PCB on the positive end of the battery that gets RAMMED by the battery during recoil. LOTS of surface-mount components on that PCB. the maelstrom g5/x7 are designed differently

let's quote david chow here:

the G5 and X7 were designed from ground up to be a
weapon-mount light. It's dimensions and it's unique industry-first
battery clamping mechanism that supports both 2xcr123a and 1x18650 and
the optional digital remote switch tailcap were all part of the weapon
mount design. As far as field testing, we've put thousands of rounds
with a rifle mounted with the G5 without issue.

Whats important is that you cinch down the tailcap tightly before use.
That secures the battery with the body of the light and ensures that
the battery doesn't produce a "hammer effect" found in other lights
that suspend the battery between springs. That could destroy your
battery inside the light possibly causing a problem with the entire
light. We completely solved that problem with our unique design that
accommodates both 2xcr123a and 1x18650.

-David

Yourfun2

Enlightened
I was going to have the Eagletac 3100's sent with the two G5's I ordered yesterday, but they were out of stock. I have a new xstar wp6 II with the xstar 3100 batteries for my K 40 thrower. Would that also be a good battery for the G5. From what I read on the old G5 thread, you should use 18650's on high instead of turbo because of the regulation ?

Thanks Bruce

Their out of batteries because I just bought a bunch of them. Sorry about that!

Go here:

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary UK.html

For help to pick out a battery.