Haiku or 007?

rewdee

Newly Enlightened
I was planning to get a haiku until i stumble across the 007 that is double in price but have a unique unconventional design. Both lights are highly spoken for. I know a little bit about the haiku but the 007 is completely new to me.

Any recomendation? As for usage, i just love lights but have no real use for one :)

Thanks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I was planning to get a haiku until i stumble across the 007 that is double in price but have a unique unconventional design. Both lights are highly spoken for. I know a little bit about the haiku but the 007 is completely new to me.

Any recomendation? As for usage, i just love lights but have no real use for one :)

Thanks.

Here's a couple of threads to get you started ... :devil:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?322131-McGizmo-Haiku-An-Ideal-EDC-An-Essay

[URL]http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?341170-quot-Ode-to-a-Spy-quot-or-quot-Why-the-SW-GG-Spy-IS-worth-every-penny!-quot-VERY-PHOTO-HEAVY!![/URL]

Last edited:

rewdee

Newly Enlightened
Any side by side comparison? Or maybe with other popular lights? 2x123 side by side sounds abit fat.

scout24

Flashaholic
Talk about opening a can of worms!!! :) I own and enjoy both, and they each have their place. Both created by wildly talented, driven men with their own vision of what portable edc lighting should and can be. The Haiku is stone axe reliable, has the best pocketclip in the business, and is designed as an ergonomic tool for lighting within the thermal constraints of it's mass, giving runtime, beam quality and usable light over pocket rocket power. Same with the 007, just with different vision. (minus the pocketclip.) The 007 is more advanced technologically, allowing but not necessitating user adjusting of it's levels from barely visible to "wow"... Both have intuitive UI right out of the box, maker support second to none should you need it, a choice of emitters for different preferences, and fantastic build quality. You need not program the 007, I'd bet there are a good number out there that get left on the default settings for their entire lives, but the capability is there. Though the 007 appears "chunky" to some, to hold and use one is to understand how well it works in the hand. A small holster or pouch works well for carry, as does a dangler or suspension clip of some sort, which is my preferred carry method. Both are a joy to carry and use, and you owe it to yourself to try both if you can at some point.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Talk about opening a can of worms!!! :) I own and enjoy both, and they each have their place. Both created by wildly talented, driven men with their own vision of what portable edc lighting should and can be. The Haiku is stone axe reliable, has the best pocketclip in the business, and is designed as an ergonomic tool for lighting within the thermal constraints of it's mass, giving runtime, beam quality and usable light over pocket rocket power. Same with the 007, just with different vision. (minus the pocketclip.) The 007 is more advanced technologically, allowing but not necessitating user adjusting of it's levels from barely visible to "wow"... Both have intuitive UI right out of the box, maker support second to none should you need it, a choice of emitters for different preferences, and fantastic build quality. You need not program the 007, I'd bet there are a good number out there that get left on the default settings for their entire lives, but the capability is there. Though the 007 appears "chunky" to some, to hold and use one is to understand how well it works in the hand. A small holster or pouch works well for carry, as does a dangler or suspension clip of some sort, which is my preferred carry method. Both are a joy to carry and use, and you owe it to yourself to try both if you can at some point.

What an excellent summary!

nbp

Flashaholic
I cannot comment on the 007 (though I'd love to try one some day!) but I am a big fan of the Haiku and the Ti Tri EDC as well. Fantastic EDC lights. My thoughts on both these are linked in my sig.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too own both. Well One Haiku and at the present 2 007's and contemplating a 3rd.
As above, both are brilliant lights. I use both regularly, however, the 007's get most of the pocket carry.
I prefer it loose in my right pants pocket.
You can't go wrong with either, but I would venture to guess, since you have asked this question, you might end up with both.
BTW, My Haikyu is the XPG version. I used it on my walk last night to help another couple look for thier dog. With the XPG it lit up a good portion of the soccer field as I swept the beam from end to end. No dog located, but I was reimpressed with this light on high. I know my 7's have tons of light too, but I had forgotton the throw on the Haiku is very useful.
Good luck on your hunt.

rewdee

Newly Enlightened
Thats what i am trying to avoid: getting both! Even if i get them both, eventually i am only going to keep one. Since getting the hds clicky, i have been selling my other similar sized lights.

I cant afford both, so i need to chose carefully :)

How bulky is the 007? Comparison pics?

Thanks.

rewdee

Newly Enlightened
I know in the end i have to decide for myself. Just wanted to hear some opinions. I have heard alot about the good. How about the bad?

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparison pics?

p1000308.jpg

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have an HDS, I would go for the SPY007.
Reason, it is a "different" light. Not bulky at all. I always carry it in my front right pocket. Very often with dress pants.
Like the HDS you can program it, but totally different.
It tail stand really easily. I often use it instead of a table lamp. So easy to go from OFF to high, or in between and quickly.

Cons, you do need to practice with the bead to open the tail cap. It's easy, but if the bead is off a bit, it's tricky ( ie not looking trying to do with one hand).
Difficult to hold in your mount, but it has a rail adaptor. ( i use this with a mini gorilla pod, works great)
If you go XML, you will need IMR batteries to get the full punch of 3A.
You might not want to tell your friends what you paid for it.

rewdee

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, thanks for the info and comparison pics. I am leaning towards the spy but its a lot of money (saved 3/4 way there) and i am afraid that i cant bring myself to carry the light (scratches and stuff). I know there is a SW GG finish but for another 400, its out of question.

Back to reading...