Jetbeam switch acting up!

Megatrowned

Enlightened
So I have a RRT-0 I have been EDCing for at least a year. It has been a wonderful light and until now has given me no problems. But just last night I noticed this. As I press the switch (past the point of clicking, kinda like "bottoming it out") it gets brighter! Then when I let go of the switch, it dims down again! What gives?

This is especially noticeable when using a Enloop. Still does it on a cr123, but not as noticeable. Is it time for a new switch? Note: both batt were good when this happened. Wasn't a lo batt.

Also, while I'm asking, this light has always flickered ever so slightly while on whenever I used a rechargeable LiOn (not on primaries). Anyone know why?

Thanks,
Austin

Edit: if this is a sw prob., how do I get it out?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think ive experienced a similar problem with an older rtt-0 r2 version.
when i click it, it comes on, but when i release the switch the light flickers and dies...

i realized i had to tightened the bezel more, so it could be the contact points? try cleaning it up, and make sure the bezel is tightened up well.

tam17

Enlightened
When you've isolated the switch as a culprit, you can try to apply some contact cleaner for fine electronics inside the switch, and do some clicking afterwards (battery removed first). Quality contact cleaners are plastic & rubber-friendly. (Never use WD40 or similar!!!)

And, just in case, order the new switch. Jetbeam ones are notorious for their short lifespan.

Cheers

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I will agree that Jetbeam has some dodgey switches in their line up but, I don't think that's the problem here. I had the exact same issue with another light of mine and found that the retaining was loose, again... You can, and should, clean your switch for maintenance purposes but, I think that tightening the retaining ring will solve all of your problems.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Do you mean for the switch? I've been wondering how to get it out...

The easiest way I found is to use a pair of needle nose pliers that has fairly thin tips so they fit in the notches inside your tailcap. I don't know whether or not JetBeam uses reversed threading on their switches so just use trial and error to figure out which way it tightens and loosens. If you don't have a pair of needle nose pliers that will fit, you can always use a fork and bend the prongs until you get the shape you need. Just tighten the ring down until you can't turn it anymore and that should solve any connection issues that you've been having. Also, if you want to take the switch out and clean everything down and put it back together, that would be helpful too.

Oh, and if you decide to use a fork, use one hat you won't get in trouble for bending. Your wife/girlfriend might have a thing or two to say about the re-purposing of her silverware :whistle:

Last edited:

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Going to try this. And our silverware is only a wedding gift, no harm in using that, right? :crackup:

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Ok, so I found a pair of tiny needle nose pliers. The silverware has been spared, this time... Jetbeam has some wierd curved notches on the retaining ring around the tail cap (they must have a special tool for this). With much pressure and force, it came off!

I removed the switch, and the more I looked at it, the more it reminded me of a McClickie. So I borrowed one from another light, and...I fits! Perfectly! Going to be ordering one for this light.

Thanks all :twothumbs

fyrstormer

Banned
Sounds like the switch was just loose. If you look at the design of the switch, when you press down on it, you also press the metal contact against the inside of the battery tube. When you release, it can lose contact if it isn't tightened properly.

By the way, tightening the retaining ring does nothing to secure the switch itself. The retaining ring only secures the silicone cover. The switch must be tightened separately.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Sounds like the switch was just loose. If you look at the design of the switch, when you press down on it, you also press the metal contact against the inside of the battery tube. When you release, it can lose contact if it isn't tightened properly.

By the way, tightening the retaining ring does nothing to secure the switch itself. The retaining ring only secures the silicone cover. The switch must be tightened separately.

In my experience, I have found that tightening the retaining ring fixes what ever contact issues I was having with the switch.

I removed the switch, and the more I looked at it, the more it reminded me of a McClickie. So I borrowed one from another light, and...I fits! Perfectly! Going to be ordering one for this light.

Thanks all
happy14.gif

No problem at all Megatrowned, hope everything works out well with the new switch.

fyrstormer

Banned
Tightening the retaining ring will press the switch into place if it is very slightly loose, but that's all. If this is something you have to do from time to time, removing the retaining ring and tightening the switch itself should put a stop to the problem for much longer.

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Thanks for the link. Since a McClickie fits, I'm just going to stick one in. Really can't top it (a "silent" version would be cool though). Plus, telling a non-flashaholic that it has a "McClickie" in it just sounds cool :D