space needle and maglites

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
just a quick question.

what is a space needle?
i've done several searches for pictures and it looks like a maglite. are they the same things? or is it a modded maglite?

thanks

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a highly modded and very bright Maglite made by Mr Bulk.

Link to space needle construction pics.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
impyboy said:
just a quick question.

what is a space needle?
i've done several searches for pictures and it looks like a maglite. are they the same things? or is it a modded maglite?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi impyboy,

Here is what you want to know in a nutshell.

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
wow, that was a quick response.
thanks for that.

that looks like a cool mod
i would love to do that to my 4C maglight.

is this something i can do myself, or does Mr Bulk have the skills and parts for the mod?

thanks

-Impyboy

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
mr bulk does have the skills an parts, but you can do it yourself as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

it's actually a pretty simple mod, as far as mods go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Well, if you buy a HotLips heatsink from HotBeam, it is a rather straightforward mod (although I myself would not have attempted this as my very FIRST mod), but if you have to make your own heatsink, that may be a different story -- unless one has prior metalworking experience. In fact I am amazed at the number of machinists and electronically-minded members CPF has garnered recently. This is an already great place becoming even better...

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
is there any way i can obtain more info on this mod?
i live in australia, and as you can imagine, it is fairly difficult getting the parts here, and can also get fairly expensive ordering overseas.

I've noticed that maglite have a new type of globe available with a prefocused beam. but is still krypton. what kind of globe does the spaceneedle mod take?

I've put a halogen bulb into my 4C mag, and that makes a significant increase in brightness. If only i could get a xenon bulb that will fit!

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddly enough, im waiting for delivery on a couple of parts sent from your part of the world. HotBeam is the guy you want to speak to, as he is in Oz, and also sells all the parts needed for such a mod. He'll even sell you one ready-made if youre unsure of your soldering skills.

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
oh goodie!

i'll try to get in touch with him.
soldering shouldn't be a problem, being involved with electronics previously /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

guess the hardest part is getting the parts. but i guess it's not as hard as it first seemed.

thanks for all your help, guys!