Mindnumbingly absurd court ruling and example of utter stupidity...Italy Earthquake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK,

In Italy, stupidity rules over common sense, agree or disagree ?

manslaughter conviction of six earthquake experts in Italy
for failing to give adequate warning of the 2009 earthquake
in the city of L'Aquila that killed 308 people.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ridiculous.

What kind of precedent does this set, in a society that is too litigious anyway?

Common sense needs to come into play, it could save alot of time and money.

Ishango

Enlightened
A fine example of how a judge does not understand the science behind the matter he/she is supposed to judge. I overheard a discussion on my local news radio with a expert on the matter and he said it is impossible to accurately predict an earthquake like this. It seems more like a miscommunication problem. If I understand correctly they never said there would not be an earthquake, they just said their measurements indicated that the chances were low.

i.e. I have a chance of being hit by a meteorite at about a rate of one in 20,000,000,000,000 (one of the first Google results for this question). It is thus highly unlikely, but it could happen (I sure hope not). If anyone tells me this is the chance I can get hit and it then happens, I wouldn't hold it against them.

Great support action of their boss to immediately resign. Let the government predict the following earthquake themselves (without the support of scientists) and see how well they could do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.