Help!!!!!!!! I can't open a flashlight

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help!!!!!!!! I can\'t open a flashlight

I have a D cell body for an ARC-LS head. The part where the ARC head screws on comes off to change the battery. I used one of those things that uses a rubber strap to torque things off. I broke two of them on this. Does anyone have any suggestions???

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Re: Help!!!!!!!! I can\'t open a flashlight

Get a better strap wrench??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

You're pretty limited if you don't want to risk marking/damaging the part...

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can try using a couple of pieces of leather and fold it over itself like a strap wrench. (I used to use a leather belt to get my oil filter off, that way)I should be a little tougher than the rubber. If that doesn't work you can get a plumbers strap wrench. It has a nylon like strap.
Hope this can help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about channel locks with cloth between the D cell holder and the pliers? The cloth is to protect the pack and the channel locks are to give you a much better grip and leverage.

mahoney

Enlightened

This method has worked for me on a few occasions. Take a block of wood and drill or cut a hole in it the same diameter as the round or cylindrical object. Then saw the block in half through the hole producing two blocks each having a half-circular groove in it. Then clamp the round object in the bench vise between the wood blocks. Sometimes it helps to wrap a bit of rubber or friction tape around the object before clamping. If a strap wrench on the other part isn't working and you need to use two sets of blocks to open something, you can clamp the other set with a carpenter's handscrew or a couple of c-clamps. So long as you don't crush your cylinder you can generate a lot of turning force with this method without leaving a mark .

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

argggg, it won't open.

I was wondering, this battery as been in this body for about 6 months. This light I think is air tight. I wounder if internal pressure is causing thread lock.
Do you think getting it cold in a freezer then just getting the cap warm might loosen it up. I was also wondering if I should drill a tiny hole in the bottom to relieve any internal pressure is a good idea. I have heard of those hydrogen build up nightmares with a single AAA, I am thinking a D Cell would make a better bomb yet.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Usually, a bit of heat applied to the part with the female threads works for most things(makes it expand a little). Not sure its a wise thing to do if you think you have hydrogen gas in there.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

what exactly is the problem? the threads are too tight?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

I'd try putting it in the freezer. It won't hurt it. If that doesn't do it try the freezer then putting it in hot water (NOT boiling). I don't think the thermal shock will hurt the insides.
I hope that helps, it sounds well stuck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Be careful, I remember my Arc AAAA (mod battery tube from CNC Dan I believe it was) popped like a checker bomb upon opening when I screwed it on snugly and let it sit for a few weeks. Not knowing where to get those little gas-absorption pills to put one in there, I now leave the head loose when I am not using it at least intermittently.

Drilling a tiny hole sounds like a good idea (wearing goggles); if done neatly and hydrogen build-up is the culprit here, it will never happen again with the "relief valve" you just "installed" using your drill.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

or the batteries might have leaked, corroding the threads and fusing the head and battery tube together.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I second chamenos. It would take a hellava lot of pressure to keep you from turning it. I would recommend a couple cycles of freeze/heat (propane torch to *just* sizzle when you spit.) Also, you could tighten a worm gear hose clamp (radiator hose type) around the cap and apply a pipe wrench to the outside of the clamp. The wood blocks in the vise are a good idea for the body. You can use some rosin to increase the grip. Good luck!

Larry

TheBeam

Enlightened

Try some oil, and get Craftsman strap wrenches. (free replacements)

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks, since this is an inside only light. I will drill it first and see if anything vents. Then I will try all the ideas from the mildest to the most extream until I get it done. This thing made a great light for some purposes. A D cell will run and ARC rev 1 a real long time.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

if the battery did leak it might have eaten up the circuit board of the LS head...good luck; i hope that's not the case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chamenos, these packs don't let the battery touch the Arc LS head at all. They can't, as C and D cells are way too big to fit in the LS head. Duh!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

charles, i was not aware of how the battery tube was constructed so it wasn't that obvious to me that the batteries would not be able to corrode the circuit board. i was suggesting one of the possible ways a leaking battery could ruin a light with a more conventional design.