• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Questions & FAQ - Oveready / TorchLAB

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Welcome to Oveready / TorchLAB. Please posts questions here on subjects that do not already have a dedicated thread or are to small and/or broad for a new thread.

Here are some of the more frequent (FAQ):

Who are these guys and what's with all the names?

We are a partnership of 3 guys, operating under 3 umbrellas:

Oveready / ElectronGuru / Dan - planning, sales, assembly, etc.
TorchLAB / Moddoo / Tom - mechanical engineering, production, etc.
LuxRC / Serge - electrical engineering, etc

Also on our team is Craig, who handles machining and Sarah, AKA FlashlightWidow, handles shipping and customer care (the Oh Drat! patrol).

Are custom bored bodies thinner than factory cut bodies?

We cut SF bodies to an inside diameter of 18.65m (coincidence with 18650). This is thinner than the original SF bore and thicker than most '18mm ready' setups, which are often cut to 19mm. Counterintuitively, we would expect shops making a light from scratch that needed to be larger on the inside to also make it larger on the outside, but these same shops also have to deliver compatibility with SF tailcaps. This means that 18, 18.65, and 19 cut bodies are all the same outside diameter, so each increase in inside diameter is accompanied by a decrease in thickness in the walls of the body. So in practice, custom bored SF bodies (and Moddoolar bodies which we cut to the same inside diameter) are thicker/stronger than most bodies made for 18mm cells (which are cut to 19mm for cell maximum compatibility).

Is your HA any good?

Hard anodize (type III) comes in a variety of thickness, resulting in a variety of durabilities. The closer you get to maximum thickness (20 mils), the more difficult and expensive the process. Doing it right requires special training and equipment. Our HA is produced by a shop that does nothing but industrial HA, all day long. The thicker it gets, the darker it gets, so even looking at the color of a finish can tell you its durability:
.0005 < - typical type II (including silver)​
.0006​
.0007 < - limit for ha light colors​
.0008​
.0009​
.0010​
.0011​
.0012 < - limit for ha dark colors (other than black)​
.0013​
.0014​
.0015​
.0016​
.0017​
.0018​
.0019​
.0020 < - OVEREADY spec​

What's with all the stock outs?

We are a small operation. Much of what we create is experimental, with no known demand and little to no sales history. To keep risk and costs down, everything is made in relatively small batches. When something sells out, it may have taken weeks, months or years to do so. Some sells out, never to be requested again. Others sell out, creating ripples of activity.

We prioritize new production based on current demand (which can change) but may lack the capacity to produce multiple items at the same time. So even when something is seen in advance to be running out, replacements take longer to arrive.

In general, items without finishes (like solid brass) and do not require assembly take the least time. Multi part items with finishes (HA/TiAlN) and that require assembly and testing (especially LED/engines), take the most time.

Why don't you ship every day of the week?

The people who pull, pack, and ship every order are the same folks who are buying parts, putting them together, and managing inventory. Even starting a shipping run takes up hours, hours that can be spent preparing more of our best products and more new products. Shipping three days a week (usually MWF) concentrates our shipping efforts, allowing us to spend more of our time, making more of the stuff you love.

Why don't you accept deposits/prepayments?

Deposits sound like a very easy and effective idea. Accept money for something before its ready to ship, invest the money into the product, then deliver first to those willing to take the risk early. If life were predictable, this would work well. But the world is full of unknowns and surprises. Production delays, quality variances, cost overruns, design changes.

All deposits do is trade the uncertainty of missing out for the uncertainty of delays and lost money. CPF history is littered with builders who took customer money and ended up not delivering finished product. They are seldom heard from again.

All OR/TL items are provided on a first come, first serve basis. If something goes wrong during production, we alone bear the risk, hassle, and expense. For the best shot at new items, please subscribe to our email list.

Why don't you make clips out of Ti?

We prefer making clips out of stainless steel because ti is more expensive, slows production (unless you use a grade that doesn't hold its shape) and takes more time to produce each clip. In return, its usually 2 grams for SS vs 1 gram for Ti, so the main benefit ends up being bragging rights, something we don't pursuit.

Why don't you have a phone number?

We do everything ourselves and lack the resources to operate in real time, being available during specific hours of each day. Email allows us to work any hour, any day, shifting time and priorities to keep up with needs. Tracking is also enhanced, providing history on every issue and conversation - all in one place.

Why are your prices so [low]?

Raising prices would solve many issues (including those above). It would reduce demand so stock lasted longer, we would allow us to make larger quantities of parts, we could hire people to do the work for us. We could invest more into production, development, and growth. It would also mean less of what we make ending up in the hands of those who need it most. We have a passion for making the best lighting tools possible and want those tools to be put to the best uses possible - helping you.

The alternative to achieving all this (at the same or even lower price points) is off-shoring our production. While appealing for various reasons, it would also mean longer production cycles (slower changes/updates), increased design (IP) theft, design/production issues (including lower quality control), and most importantly, would not be in keeping with our own values.

Why doesn't a $50 Peak look as polished as a $50, imported light?

Its not possible to make a custom light in the US for $50. Peak only can because flashlights are a secondary business. The area that pays the bills is their machine shop. Flashlight parts, then, are made by people and on machines that are largely already paid for. This keeps costs down, but it also means there isn't enough time or money to make extra parts, hand inspect every facet for imperfections, in anything comparable to the army of production and inspection assistants that $50 per unit will buy overseas. What there is enough time for is cutting a light out of solid stainless steel, ready to bang into your keys all day, every day, for years - without fail.

Last edited:

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
Re: Oveready addicted... Am I alone ???

Hmmm.. By definition, you can't be addicted if you can't even get your first fix!

Every time I go to their site, nothing is in stock. What's the deal? They really need to up their production. They are losing money.

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
Re: Oveready addicted... Am I alone ???

Hmmm.. By definition, you can't be addicted if you can't even get your first fix!

Every time I go to their site, nothing is in stock. What's the deal? They really need to up their production. They are losing money.

I will second that. I can never purchase anything from them because they are always out of stock.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Oveready / TorchLAB - FAQ

Please post general questions here.

How about product questions that currently do not have a dedicated thread for them?
I had a question on the AA Delrin battery sleeves:

Custom Delrin Sleeves allow you to install AA batteries into flashlights designed for larger batteries, with no rattle.

I currently have a Delrin 2AA -> 17mm adaptor from another seller, unfortunately it freely slides out of the SF C3 flashlight body during a battery change.
Are your 17mm & 18mm adaptors a reasonably snug fit in the SureFire hosts so as to stay in the flashlight body when the 2 AA's are being slid out?

Thanks,

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

How about product questions that currently do not have a dedicated thread for them?

Good point, OP updated.

I had a question on the AA Delrin battery sleeves:

I currently have a Delrin 2AA -> 17mm adaptor from another seller, unfortunately it freely slides out of the SF C3 flashlight body during a battery change.
Are your 17mm & 18mm adaptors a reasonably snug fit in the SureFire hosts so as to stay in the flashlight body when the 2 AA's are being slid out?

Sorry, no. 2AA/17 sleeves are sized for G3's, which have a smaller ID. Your best options are boring the C3 for 18's, then running a 2AA/18 sleeve or asking Martin to custom cut you one.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Thanks for the quick reply. When you have a moment, if you could post the OD for your 17mm & 18mm sleeves, that would be great, thank you.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

17's are 17.10 and fit best is bodies at about 17.30
18's are 18.36 and fit best is bodies bored to 18.65

nbp

Flashaholic

The custom HA-BK 6Ps/C2s you have: is the anodizing a 'flatter' black than the type II black that comes standard on the 6Ps? I'm looking for more of a "stealthy" look. I don't like how shiny 6Ps are normally, plus obviously it doesn't wear as well as type III, and I don't have the heart to carry a matte black cerakoted light and ding it up.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

In general, type II is always glossier than type III. In terms of hosts, you can expect:

factory type II black - glossy
or custom type III black - semi gloss
factory type III black - matte

factory type III natural - semi gloss (these seem to have a special coating)
or custom type III natural - matte​

Our custom HA/BK 6P and C2's are a deep black, usually described as 'stealthy'. Its produced by a shop that does industrial HA (exclusively) and holds up well vs other coatings (including other HA). The same coating is used on all TL Triples.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

17's are 17.10 and fit best is bodies at about 17.30
18's are 18.36 and fit best is bodies bored to 18.65

Hi,

Just to confirm, your C2 bodies are bored to 18.65mm?

I picked up an Overready bored C2 from CPFMP and am looking for 18650 3400mAh cells?

HKJ's site shows the 3400s to be a bit fatter than their 3100 counterparts, and some up to 18.7mm thick.

I just want to make sure the cells I choose will fit.

Thanks

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Oveready / TorchLAB - FAQ

Yes, 18.65mm. The result are bodies thicker than most 'ready made' 18mm bodies, but they do require thinner cells.

We size our bodies to work with AW cells. AW 3100 cells have fit 100% of the time. We are expecting AW 3400 cells to fit as well.

Other brands use thicker wrappers/wires/PCBs, creating issues. We've seen problems with other 3100's and expect the same with some 3400's. 3400s are still very new, but I expect to know more next month.

phoneguy

Enlightened
Re: Show your Oveready lights!

WOW...
This looks to be the only light one would need. (LOL) Too pricey for me but this is an incredible light that would be perfect for my job.I need to go to their site and see if the head will fit my worn out Jetbeam military.

Bryan

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Re: Oveready / TorchLAB - Questions

WOW...
This looks to be the only light one would need. (LOL) Too pricey for me but this is an incredible light that would be perfect for my job.I need to go to their site and see if the head will fit my worn out Jetbeam military.

Most of the cost of a Moddoolar light is in the head itself. And the head only works with Moddoolar bodies. And the cost difference of the head (vs the Triple drop in) is in the bezel ring and lens.

The cheapest 'step in' price for the Triple engine is the Triple/60, assuming you already have a suitable host.

phoneguy

Enlightened

Most of the cost of a Moddoolar light is in the head itself. And the head only works with Moddoolar bodies. And the cost difference of the head (vs the Triple drop in) is in the bezel ring and lens.

The cheapest 'step in' price for the Triple engine is the Triple/60, assuming you already have a suitable host.

Thank you for the info, I have no host for a drop in. This is on my " someday" have to have list...
Great product !!

Bryan

brunt_sp

Enlightened

I see you now have the AW 18650 3400 mAh on the site. Is the diameter the same as the 3100? and therefore do they fit in your E2E tubes?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Oveready / TorchLAB - Questions

Great question. Removing the label from a test cell, the AW 3400 fits 1 of my 4 (25%) E2 sample bodies. Its close but i would not consider the E2 compatible with sizes other than 26/29/31.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh so the AW 3400 mAh is more like the other protected 3100/3400 Keeppower/redilast/callie's cells in that it's rather wide I'm guessing?

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh so the AW 3400 mAh is more like the other protected 3100/3400 Keeppower/redilast/callie's cells in that it's rather wide I'm guessing?
Not necessarily, here they don't specifically fit the E2 which is not a normal 18650 light and probably not bored as much as normal 18650 lights.
He's mentioned that they do fit other bored lights.

AW are usually some of the thinnest/shortest 18650s around.