Fireman Looking For La.Screw Flashlight Parts found Your forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

REXMAN

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jim From N.W.Pa. Retired Fire fighter Loc #1, New to This Internet Stuff. Anyways got This La.Screw 3D,Brakes Down To 3,2 Or 1 Cell's,One Day After A Big fire Where The Light Was Used To Punch Threw A Wall.I Broke The Lens & And Got Something On ItThat took The Chrome Finish off,Tryed To Find A New reflector,All I Could Find Was Metal And Didn't Fit To Work In My Light.Mine is Plastic ,Set The Bulb In The End Set Down In Screw On End Cap, So Tryed Paint ,Never Used Again,So Now Looking For Parts For My Old Friend,The Bottom Of The Reflector Has Strange Pattern Around To Bounce back The Light I Think.Ps Right Now Looking For The other reflector Center Of lens. So Would Like To Find Parts If Still Can Be Had. The Light Was Like The Light Sword (In Star War's The movie) And Saved many In Fires With It's beam. Carry A Micro Stream In Pocket,And A Backup 200 Lumis AA,In A Pouch,,Be looking Around Any One With A Source To Find parts PM Me Thanks. Jimmy:wave:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
The quick and easy way to get parts for a lesser-known light is to scrounge EBay for another copy of it, to use as parts.

Firefighters swing axe and save ***; they get to type pretty much however they want..

First part +1, that's a good way to try and find a replacement part. With some of these off brands replacement parts aren't always available and it may become cheaper to replace the whole light then to replicate the parts.

Second part +10

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are able to find a reflector that physically fits, you can modify the beam pattern. It's easy to go from too-throwy (Laser) to more-floody (Area light). One method is to spray a bit of clear-coat spraypaint into the reflector. You might do a dab in the center of an over-throwy reflector so that it lights an area like you need.

As far as punching through walls, there aren't many big-light front windows that are meant to withstand that. Some flashlights have 'strike bezels,' sort of a raised metal ring, that helps protect the glass. If you can't find an exact match, you may be able to find a close-enough match somewhere in a plumbing store.

fyrstormer

Banned
Firefighters swing axe and save ***; they get to type pretty much however they want..
Sure, when they're swinging axes and saving asses.

Anyway, based on some quick research, LA.Screw "Smoke Cutter" flashlights have been out of production for years, possibly decades, so finding replacement parts is pretty much impossible now. Exact measurements of the reflector (diameter, depth, and rear opening size) might allow a replacement reflector to be fitted, but as far as I know, all the modular reflectors we can get our hands on these days are designed for LED emission patterns, which won't work with incandescent bulbs. In that case, the light would need to be modified to use an LED emitter, which would actually be a pretty good upgrade compared to the original incandescent bulb.

I see nothing on eBay right now. Maybe something will come up later. A saved-search for the product name might find something in the next few months.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
google image search revealed this image...

L.A. Screw Products, 3D is the second light from the left.

firstlove.jpg

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a rebranded Maglite.

Nope. Had a couple of different design features that the Mags lacked. Most notably was a shock isolated bulb which also contributed to them producing more of a "smoke cutting" beam that produced little spill light to reflect back in smoke or fog. If I recall correctly it also meant that they didn't have the adjustable beam that the mags did.

fyrstormer

Banned
Nope. Had a couple of different design features that the Mags lacked. Most notably was a shock isolated bulb which also contributed to them producing more of a "smoke cutting" beam that produced little spill light to reflect back in smoke or fog. If I recall correctly it also meant that they didn't have the adjustable beam that the mags did.
But is it close enough that a Maglite reflector would fit, even if the cam on the back of the Maglite reflector has to be cut off?

EdTor

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this forum. I posted elsewhere that I was the L.A. Screw Products manufacturers rep. and also their distributor from 1979. I sold thousands of Smoke Cutters & Code Fours and also bought the Qualtech (Luma Tech, Pharo Tech) factory which converted them and other H.D. lights (Kel-Lite, Maglite, etc.) to rechargeable.

_Qualtech_ is still viable and I do have many parts for Smoke Cutters, Code Fours, Kel-Lites and Maglite, etc. if anyone needs some.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
EdTor, can you provide a way to contact you? I have an old Smoke Cutter that I'd like to get working again. Thanks!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Keeping and eye on this thread. EDTor needs to build up his post count so PM's can be used for such queries. His post looked more like spamming than help, but not sure.

Bill

grillflame

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an old thread, but would love to get a smoke cutter made up. Saw some advertising in the 80's and loved the extending sections and removeable switch.
Any chance{;-)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Man! What a jip!!

I was hoping this would lead to good info for another recent request for a smoke cutting light enquired about a week or three ago on the 'reccomend a light' page.

Not that it's a useless thread by any means.

Post 12 for example helped me understand some stuff that'll likely lead to future ocd purchases..my future collection of incan smoke cutters for example...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.