Are duracell LSD still duraloops?

UserName

Newly Enlightened
I've been gone a while. Could someone give me some current info?

Are duracell's LSD NIMH AA and AAA batteries still rebadged eneloops if they're made in Japan, and have white tops?

If so, is there a way of knowing if they are the 2nd or 3rd generation eneloops?

I was shopping for some online, and noticed the packaging has changed since the last time I bought any (probably going to go to walmart anyway, to make sure the ones I get are white tops)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I believe so although I haven't seen the new packages, hopefully someone else will chime in here.

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
Amazon is doing a $3 off sale, 4 pack $6.52 if I recall correctly, and people are reporting the batteries are made in japan white Eneloops.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy more of the 'Duraloops' if it wasn't for the wrapper. It looks too much like a standard Duracell. It's too easy to mistake it for an Alkaline and pitch it. Especially by someone else less knowledgeable in the household. There's no mistaking the white, blue and otherwise colored Eneloops.

UserName

Newly Enlightened
I maintain a rack of charged batteries, librarian style. The kids know they can help themselves to fresh batteries, and there is a jar for returning spent batteries (depleted nimh and spent primaries alike). I return rechargeables to their place after charging, and dispose of spent primaries, and no one in the house throws any battery in any trash can.

I got my supply of almost exclusively duraloops a few years back when there was a glut of them on ebay. I won several auctions for prices near $1/battery.

The amazon sale sounds like a great deal if I can make certain it is white tops.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'd buy more of the 'Duraloops' if it wasn't for the wrapper. It looks too much like a standard Duracell. It's too easy to mistake it for an Alkaline and pitch it. Especially by someone else less knowledgeable in the household. There's no mistaking the white, blue and otherwise colored Eneloops.

Take a colored permanent wide tipped marker and paint a stripe down two sides of the rechargeable batteries so it is obvious they are different than disposables to everyone. I use red marker to mark cells that are lower in capacity or won't charge on some of my chargers to differentiate them from others. If I am suspicious of a battery I sometimes mark a band near the top of the battery that can be wiped off with alcohol if it is proven to be good later.

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
Dura loops are in almost every store here. There is another kind of Duracell rechargeable on the shelves too, they are the regular non LSD type and I believe they have a black top. But if you are buying pre charged or LSD then I think it's safe to say they will be white top Duracell.

UserName

Newly Enlightened
I was at walmart yesterday, and the only duracell rechargeables I saw were their non-LSD batteries (~2600mah?), although that may be due to poor selection, as the walmart I was at was not a super center (anyone remember those?)

The branding on them has changed, now they are "stay charged with duralock" instead of just "precharged". I haven't been to a store that had them in stock to look at them in person, so I don't know if they have changed or not. It used to be the things to look for was made in japan vs made in china, and white tops vs black tops.

I bought several packages 3 years ago. One of them was black tops. I kept that one package for comparison purposes. They have proven to be much less impressive (this was expected), but it is needless to say, I do not want to end up with another package of these when duraloops can be had for the same price.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was at walmart yesterday, and the only duracell rechargeables I saw were their non-LSD batteries (~2600mah?), although that may be due to poor selection, as the walmart I was at was not a super center (anyone remember those?)

The branding on them has changed, now they are "stay charged with duralock" instead of just "precharged". I haven't been to a store that had them in stock to look at them in person, so I don't know if they have changed or not. It used to be the things to look for was made in japan vs made in china, and white tops vs black tops.

I bought several packages 3 years ago. One of them was black tops. I kept that one package for comparison purposes. They have proven to be much less impressive (this was expected), but it is needless to say, I do not want to end up with another package of these when duraloops can be had for the same price.

Walmart has their batteries scattered all over the place last time I saw duraloops there they were in the camera department but not with the other batteries in another spot out of the way on the side of the photo making area or whatever it is.

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I can't seem to find dura loops at my Walmart and it is a super center. They seem to have exclusively energizer and ray o vac. There were some displays with the new and more expensive duralock alkalines but the main battery cubes have rayovac and energizer. I didn't see any duracell rechargables. The best places for dura loops here is the drug stores like rite-aid, Walgreens and CVS. Watch the paper for sales and they will cost less than Walmart and Target.

I would avoid Kmart for batteries, they seem to have the oldest untouched stock here, as they have batteries that are clearly years old on the shelf.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure anymore. I saw some today that claimed only 400 charges that had white ends. They also had similar wording to the alkalines written on the packaging. I think they said something like Duralock technology on them. I think they are using the same wording to denote longer shelf life and their new leakproof technology like their new alkalines, even though NiMH cells don't leak like alkalines and low self discharge batteries have now been around for years. If in doubt, go to Costco and get a 10-12 pack of genuine Eneloops for $20.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I can't seem to find dura loops at my Walmart and it is a super center. They seem to have exclusively energizer and ray o vac. There were some displays with the new and more expensive duralock alkalines but the main battery cubes have rayovac and energizer. I didn't see any duracell rechargables. The best places for dura loops here is the drug stores like rite-aid, Walgreens and CVS. Watch the paper for sales and they will cost less than Walmart and Target.

I would avoid Kmart for batteries, they seem to have the oldest untouched stock here, as they have batteries that are clearly years old on the shelf.

It is possible that walmart stopped carrying them I haven't seen them lately but I quit looking there for batteries long ago and don't even remember the last time I bought batteries at either Kmart or Sears since now they are the same company.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not sure anymore. I saw some today that claimed only 400 charges that had white ends. They also had similar wording to the alkalines written on the packaging. I think they said something like Duralock technology on them. I think they are using the same wording to denote longer shelf life and their new leakproof technology like their new alkalines, even though NiMH cells don't leak like alkalines and low self discharge batteries have now been around for years. If in doubt, go to Costco and get a 10-12 pack of genuine Eneloops for $20.

No Costco within 200 miles of here maybe 250 miles if there is one in Dallas or closer if they have one in Missouri or Kansas perhaps.

UserName

Newly Enlightened
I got a package of 16 eneloops on amazon to satisfy the need in the short term. Long term, I'm looking for about 30-40 more, but I don't need them right now, so I have time to shop for the best bargain. That may include keeping a watchful eye on Black Friday events.

The thing I like about knowing I can find them at walmart is that frees me up to buy them online. They (at least 2 years ago were) are the exact same sku/upc number on the package. I can't inspect them prior to purchase if buying online, but it is possible to then also buy some at walmart, and switch them out, if need be. I don't like to do it, but it takes the risk out of buying a bunch online when you know if they show up and are not eneloops, it can still be fixed.

UserName

Newly Enlightened
In the case of LSD nimh batteries, I think being old stock is a moot point. Especially if you have a Maha or LaCrosse charger which gives one the capacity to refresh stale cells.

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
Old stock can still be a problem. I had a battery that came with an old Microsoft mouse that was basically DOA, this was a brand new sealed package mouse. I was able to refresh the battery but it took about 5 refresh cycles with a LaCrosse BC700 to get it up to speed. Normally a battery only takes one refresh cycle to get it up to speed but this one took many. After the first cycle it only had about 200mah, which would be a basically dead cell for a AAA. Had I not put the battery on for additional cycles I would have dismissed it as dead and tossed it. I don't know how many people would be willing to go through 5-8 refresh cycles for brand new batteries that should work out of the package or maybe 1 refresh cycle to get them up to capacity.

Most people have really bad experiences with rechargeable batteries. A lot of devices contain built in batteries but there are still a ton of regular battery operated toys and electronic toys. For these most people will grab a pack of alkalines from the shelf and buy more when needed. Judging by my experience there are people out there that will say an item is dead just because they don't feel like changing the batteries.

The dura lock and power seal batteries seem to be extremely expensive for batteries. I don't see how much better than regular alkalines they can be but they are advertising the heck out of them here. I mean they will still leak, right? An 8-10 pack costs $7.49 or more! I don't ever remember alkalines being this expensive! I can get a pack of 4 of Duraloops at the drug store for 6.49 when watching for sales and coupons. AAA is even worse, with some stores here selling a 4 pack of alkaline for $4-5. AAA's go really fast too so this represents a very poor value in my mind. Rechargables are a must for AAA.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Even at $1 each for AA/AAA alkalines if they were able to make them that absolutely did NOT leak... period... EVER I think they would be rather useful until Lithium primaries drop from 2 times that in price. For low drain uses alkalines are well suited but the leakage problems literally ruin the savings for many people (me included). I just had a second alkaline battery leak in the same remote control for a stand fan. This was an energizer AAA it didn't have any date on it and says Made in China on it and measures 1.48v along with a 1.50v one with it (identical).

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
Yeah lithium is a bit expensive, target charges 9.84 here for 4 energizer ultimate. I want to get a pack for some remotes since they are really handy for that, but I can get Duraloops for cheaper. If they made alkalines or some other type of consumer cell with a no-leak guarantee I would run right out and buy some. I am going to watch the sales and coupons and see if I can get a deal or at least a small price reduction on the lithiums.

I did hear that maglite will replace your light if you are using energizer or Duracell alkalines and they leak. I did buy a maglite and its a good thing I did as Sandy was supposed to hit my area today but no power outage yet and I am very grateful I have not had to use the light yet. The storm is subsiding now so I think I will be safe.

timbo114

Enlightened
I've been gone a while. Could someone give me some current info?

Are duracell's LSD NIMH AA and AAA batteries still rebadged eneloops if they're made in Japan, and have white tops?

If so, is there a way of knowing if they are the 2nd or 3rd generation eneloops?

I was shopping for some online, and noticed the packaging has changed since the last time I bought any (probably going to go to walmart anyway, to make sure the ones I get are white tops)

You'll want to look for the words "PRE CHARGED" (is the key phrase) and Made in Japan the rear of the new pkg.
The cells that Amazon recently delivered to me were indeed white top DuraLoops.
I cannot speak to the specific generation of the cells.

UserName

Newly Enlightened
I've now looked at 3 walmarts and not found ANY duracell precharged, be they eneloop or otherwise. I haven't had time to search exhaustively, as every trip has been on my lunch break when a service call takes me nearby (can look about as long as it takes me to walk around the store eating my sub), but I'm doubting they've got it anymore.

The last cells I got were eneloops at the best deal I could find online (amazon last time). I think I'm just going to keep doing it that way. Then I'm sure what I'm getting.