New scalloped bezels not as tough?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone noticed that the new Surefire scalloped bezels seem to chip much easier than the old ones?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I notice that on the hardly used L4 on my desk. Someone tell me what purpose those scalloped edges serve. I have not ket up with the minute details.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
well ... I was told that if left on accidently while sitting bezel down on a desk you would be able to notice it instead of burning the batteries down ...
bernhard

richpalm

Banned
Surefire will be introducing an aggressively scalloped bezel for the M3 in 2004. Looks great-it is designed for use as an impact weapon-same as the TID (tactical impact device) that you hear about.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
richpalm said:
Surefire will be introducing an aggressively scalloped bezel for the M3 in 2004. Looks great-it is designed for use as an impact weapon-same as the TID (tactical impact device) that you hear about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if this will be the new standard (on stock M3's) or if it will be available as an upgrade? Thanks

-Mike

Catapult

Enlightened
I think the scalloped bezels look better. The regular usual circular bezels seem a little boring to me. Although the scallops are not aggressive, you can also use them as a very light impact device if you really need to. Try tapping yourself with it (although I do not recommend it). It's sharp! However, I do agree with the additional corners and edges showing wear more quickly. There's a downside to everything.

FNG

Enlightened
I think the scalloped bezels are useless. I dont think I have EVER left a light on with the bezel down, on any type of light.

alanz

Newly Enlightened
I find the scalloped bezel a great idea. I HAVE left a light on with the bezel down, and run down the battery.

So, I'm glad my e2e has the scallops, and would prefer all my future lights have them (or some other way... some LEDLensers have tiny holes drilled in the bezel)

llvo

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
richpalm said:

[/ QUOTE ]

really? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Actually I prefer a 5W LED flashlight with aggressive bezel - no bulbs to break

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Years ago when the price of CR 123s was NO LOWER than $8.99 + tax, I learned to be quite conservative with usage of flashlights that utilized them - namely the Surefire 6P. The price of CR123s now obviously is a non-issue.

A greater concern, for those that occassionally are at risk of injury or greater in certain situations as part of how they make a living, is that a light left on may make it a useless tool if the batteries are depleted. Worse yet, if it is left on, it makes the operator a target.

It became a habit that, when not in use, I did NOT activate it; especially when holstered or in a pocket. Nor have I placed the light on a table; activated or not. I have taught this practice to those that have reported to me.

It is now so engrained in my daily regimen that it is 2nd nature. I cannot recall the last time I left a flashlight activated bezel down on a desk. That is how important a flashlight has been for me.

For those that HAVE left an activated light face down on a desk, I suspect that they have other tasks MUCH more important than the current state of operation of the light. They can then afford to be without it altogether.

The scalloped bezel, as the function so described in earlier posts, is then aimed at the population segment where little regimen is placed on the training during usage. The bezel as a safety feature is then VERY appropriate and akin to the idiot buzzer on my refrigerator that activates when I leave the door open too long.

For me, it is a superflous feature, however, I understand its importance to others. The bezel, as well as the rest of the flashlight, is aimed at the civilian market.

Darell

Flashaholic
I never dropped a non-scalloped bezel on the concrete - so I can't really compare what I recently did with my L4.

BUT - I just dropped my favorite L4, bezel down, onto concrete from shoulder height. You have to look pretty darn close to see any damage. A speck of HA is missing from the size of the bezel, and the there is a slight indentation at the point of impact. With the force that it hit, I was fully prepared for the thing to require major reconstructive surgery. But as it is, I just reholstered it and went about my business. Freaking amazing.

Kinda bummed actually - I'm looking for a LSIII host. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just realized that my last post drifted off topic.

I have not noticed any discernable difference in the wear of the scalloped bezel vice the standards models. But then I do not own a L4 nor have I worked with it long enough observe such minute details.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend who once had his Z3 on without realizing it. The bezel was facing downwards. He only realized it after about an hour later when even his batteries are near exhaustion. By that time, it was too late. The lens covering the bezel head had already melted slightly and now there is a bulge right in the centre of the lens.

From that time onwards, I always discipline myself to check that the light is off when not needed and it has becomed second nature.

I don't see a need for the scalloped head myself but there may be others who does. I guess the scalloped head is not only to act as a reminder in the event the light is left on with the bezel down, but it also played an important to dissipate heat a little to delay over heating.

Andy Ho

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure the bezel will be such an important added feature for me as the LOTC was.

I was hunched over my computer writing a report with my 9P in my pocket. I guess I had compressed/depressed the switch enough to turn on the light.

My partner walked into the room and noticed my jacket pocket glowing. I don't know how long the light had been on, but when I took it out of my pocket it switched off just as I dropped it on the floor. The body of the 9P was so hot I nearly burned my hand. I let it cool off on the floor for 3 or 4 minutes. I tried to pick it up and it was still so hot I dropped it again. After another minute of so it was cool enough that I could pick it up with two fingers on the tailcap.

Lens melted, SF sent another no questions asked. I should have ordered a LOTC for it at that time.

I've never set my light down on it's head again on or off!

The only thing I've got with the new bezel is a KL4 head on my E1e. I've only had it for a week so I can't say yet if there is any premature wear.

GregR

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard from a few sources that it is best not to position a flashlight with the battery polarity (positive end) facing down as it will degrade the battery power fast. In the case of SF flashlights the bezel should not be placed in the downward position for a prolonged period of time.

Did you guys noticed why the belt clip was designed in such a way that causes the bezel to face upwards? The belt clip was meant for prolonged carrying of the flashlight whereas the lanyard was meant for short term carrying. That is why there are holsters made for your SF flashlights if in the event you need to carry it for a long period of time.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Andy Ho
Singapore

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
As mentioned in previous posts, I am an anal person. I am extremely cautious when using my Surefire's because I like to keep them in mint condition as long as possible whether they are a tool or not.

I have noticed that, despite my efforts to keep the light looking new, my L4 has numerous chips around the sharp, scalloped edges. My E2E, which I've had 4 times longer, has no chip whatsoever around the bezel, and it has been used a lot.

If Surefire is to continue moving to this scalloped bezel they need to add a machining step to round the sharp edges around the bezel to the HA doesn't chip as easily.

I am already looking around for an E2E bezel to put on my L4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The scalloped bezel looks nice, and may serve a purpose for a select few, but those sharp edges need to go.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
E2E4ME,

I understand your need to try to preserve the aesthetics of your Surefires for as long as possible but think that using that rational as a reason to have SF redesign a bezel is inappropriate. As I have already mentioned I really do beleve that SF lights are tools. Tools are made to be used and any aluminum bodied light will suffer from wear and tear no matter what surface it carries.

When I first purchased my Surefires (and they cost mega bucks here in the UK)I continuously tried to cosset them to prevent any blemishes. I then came around to the conlusion that I had bought these lights to use because of their superior beams and performance and not because they looked nice. Compared to other lights which are not HA111 coated SF's do fare much better at resisting wear. But of course they are only aluminum bodied.

To my mind the major benefit to keeping a Surefire pristine is because of the possibility of resale at a later date. Obviously chips and minor damage can and do detract from obtaining the best possible price but if you dont want to have any damage occur perhaps aluminum Surefires are best avoided. The Nitrolon bodied lights whilst not LED equippped (at present) are much better at enduring abuse because of their shock absorbing qualities.

I myself have dinged bezels and know how it feels to see your prized light with a scratched or chipped surface. However because I realise this is bound to happen I now use a rubber shround from the E2e filters to protect the bezel. This works really well and even on the E2e + KL1 combo does not cause any heat retention problems.

I understand your feelings but dont agree about a redesign which I feel is not warranted.

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:

Did you guys noticed why the belt clip was designed in such a way that causes the bezel to face upwards? The belt clip was meant for prolonged carrying of the flashlight whereas the lanyard was meant for short term carrying. That is why there are holsters made for your SF flashlights if in the event you need to carry it for a long period of time.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Andy Ho
Singapore

[/ QUOTE ]

SF does make a bezel down holster the V71 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif