My First Purchase! Rayovac Indestructible

JustJohnny

Newly Enlightened
http://www.rayovacindustrial.com/DI...-Alkaline-Batteries-4-lightscase-P298C99.aspx

OKAY! So it's obviously not as cool as some of the lights I've seen you guys post about, BUT I AM SO happy with it! Seems pretty legit.

I'm happy with the throw and spread. Seems bright enough to feel "safe". I tested it's "Indestructible" claim and it held up very well. I ran it over with my Suburban, dunked it in a tub of water, threw it about 10 feet in the air and let it drop, and whipped it at a brick wall. It's still working fine. It doesn't seem to heat up much at all. The rubber will wear out MUCH quicker than the aluminum body, but that's fine.

Now that I've caught the "light bug", I'll be looking into some other lights. I know I want something brighter with a wider spread. I think the spread is more important than the throw. Anything over 50 feet for throw distance is sufficient for me.

ANY THOUGHTS?

EDIT: I should mention I purchased this at Home Depot for $19.99 and also used Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get some decent low self-discharge NiMHs and a charger. Now it's free to operate* until your next upgrade.

*Actually costs less than a cent per hour

JustJohnny

Newly Enlightened
Get some decent low self-discharge NiMHs and a charger. Now it's free to operate* until your next upgrade.

*Actually costs less than a cent per hour

That's a good step to take. I just need to look into which ones. Is high mAh important?

Congrats to the purchase. i thought that it is $14.99 only?

You're right! Those batteries threw me off on the final purchase price. With tax, everything was around $27 and change. Those batteries are expensive for a 1 time use kinda thing!

Lucciola

Enlightened
Four Eneloop HR-3UTGA and a Sanyo Eneloop Charger MQR06 would be a good package to start with. Easy to use, always ready, good quality excellent performance. You really can't go wrong with this setup.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Once the power goes out, there are no "cool lights"; there are only the lights that are there and work, and the ones that aren't/don't. Take care of your new tool. This is a good opportunity to learn proper cleaning and lubing.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good step to take. I just need to look into which ones. Is high mAh important?

No. Sanyo Eneloops are about the best bang for the buck. They're reliable, of high and consistent quality, and last for a long time. If you use that light for several hours daily and recharge every night, a 4-pack of Sanyo Eneloops will last you about 5 years. I say '5 years' because I don't have a large body of long-term test data beyond 1500 or so charge cycles.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once the power goes out, there are no "cool lights"; there are only the lights that are there and work, and the ones that aren't/don't. Take care of your new tool. This is a good opportunity to learn proper cleaning and lubing.

Truth!

And the Rayovacs are quickly developing a good reputation for quality "beater" lights. And, it turns out, the 2AA model can be adapted to a P60 host.

Fun times. :D

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's entirely up to you. I have three Rayovac Indestructible 2AA flashlights around the house for emergencies and beater lights. The Rayovacs won't replace my high-end, expensive lights, but they fulfill a very specific purpose.

I leave one by each door as a "grab light" and the third is in my toolbox.

So, if you want to get into modding, upgrading, and tweaking - the Rayovac has potential. If you want a good, cheap, reliable flashlight, the Rayovac has you covered there, too.

Tiresius

Enlightened
This is actually the first p60 host I've seen that comes out of a B/M store that doesn't carry Surefire lights. And it's relatively low-priced as well. I plan on grabbing one myself and doing a driver/emitter swap. Buying the XP-G2 P60 drop-in isn't exactly cheap

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm glad you like the light.

Been thinking about picking one up as a 2 AA P60 host, might do that the next time I'm at Home Depot.

izaic3

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually fairly impressed with the light myself. A decent light even before mods. Sure there are much brighter lights out there, or ones with a lot more modes, but in a true emergency situation, I'd be pretty happy with it.

BobLight

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine for about a month now and I like it. I'm going to get one to keep in the car too.

Lightlytoasted

Newly Enlightened
The headlamp version is nice also and plenty bright. I believe it is around the same price also the 100 and 30 lumen output. It is fairly comfortable with only the headband as padding.