Price vs. Perceptions of Perfection

nbp

Flashaholic
[/rant on]

I have to laugh sometimes at the threads started with the intention of lambasting a new flashlight acquisition based on the the user's perception of 'inexcusable flaws' and other such similar complaints.

I find members seem to have wildly varied opinions on what sort of "defects" are acceptable at what price-points.

Some unreasonably expect perfection from cheap lights.... "My $6 Crapfire has a smudge on the reflector and the laser etching is slightly uneven! How can this happen?! Why didn't anyone tell me these were crap?!"

Some feel that $6 Crapfires are not worth looking at, but for $50, you should definitely get perfection... "My $50 FourJetZebraSun has a fleck of anodizing missing and the emitter is a hair off center! What is the point of paying all this money for a stupid flashlight if you don't get a perfect one every time? What the heck are tolerances anyways?! I want a refund and a three page apology from the president of the company!"

Some recognize that slight imperfections are often part of life, but feel that for enough money, you should absolutely get a perfect sample.... "Listen buddy, FourJetZebraSuns are good lights, and I doubt those flaws will affect the usage of the light in any measurable way, but they aren't $500 Customs, which is what you're gonna need to get if you want a flawless sample every time."

Then there is the final group. Those who recognize that there is no such thing as perfection, at ANY price (for those who want to find flaws). They have reasonable expectations based on the price of the item and what they already know of it, and understand that there are limits to what humans can do, even when an item is assembled one at time and costs an awful lot. They look at a piece for what it is as a whole, what it does, how it functions, how it makes them feel, and balance all that against any perceived "flaws", their impact on the quality/usability of the whole, and only then do they make a decision as to whether or not the item meets their expectations.

I like to think that I am the last person. I can pick out the "flaws" others rant and crab about in most of my lights at virtually any price point, yet I don't view them that way.

I have some E01s. They are what I consider cheap lights; my expectations weren't that high. Yet, I love these things! Some complain about the beam, expecting perfection from a $10 light. Sure, the beam isn't that great. But I have beat the crap out of the E01 on my keys and it will not die! Plus, I almost never have to change a battery. For the purposes I got it for, this thing is flawless.

Let's pick a high end light, something people might expect perfection from. My HDS lights are a good example. Ok, so a Clicky 200 is $200 or so. We have conquered the beam issue, my unit has a flawless beam. But guess what? The anodizing on head and the body tube is slightly different! OH MY! I have seen MANY posts where people want to crucify Surefire and others for uneven anodizing. Seriously?! The pieces are done in different batches at different times, and it's a well documented fact that HA-BK does not come out the same every time. But my Clicky is tough as heck and works like dream! It has one of the most advanced UIs out there, and is built to take serious abuse. What does the fact that the ano is slightly mismatched have to do with anything? It has zero impact on the functionality of the light. Zero. Yet people rant about such things. For its purpose, this thing is flawless.

Ok, now let's go really high end, the coveted ~$500 Custom point. The point everyone will point at and say, "that's where you have to go for perfection!" I have been EDCing a McGizmo Haiku XP-G for some 17 months. It should have been absolutely perfect for that price, right?!! Well, it sure seemed like it was when I got it. Look at the machining! The threads! The incredible clip! Not a machining mark to be found on its elegantly sculpted titanium body, YES! I have found perfection! It feels so good in the hand, it's everything I've ever wanted! Then I saw it..... the emitter was slightly off center.... Don, how could you do this to me?!?! You're killing me!! Do you know how much I paid you for this light??? Then I turned it on, and shined it on some things. And I discovered that the beam was perfect anyways. The hair off center made absolutely no difference. I started carrying it daily and realized it was the most ideal EDC light I had ever owned. And I stopped caring about the emitter altogether. Now the only time I think of it, is when someone complains that their cheap light has an minutely off center emitter and someone else says to get $500 Custom to fix that...and I laugh and think, no it may not. And if they are that fussy, even expensive Customs won't satisfy them. For me, this thing is flawless.

Sometimes we need to get a handle on our expectations. There will always be SOMETHING to complain about if you want to. But are they things that actually affect the ability of the item to perform its intended purpose? Maybe if you bought a piece of crap item, yes. In that case, your expectations were wrong the other way: you thought you could beat the system by getting perfection at budget prices. Haha. But many times the flaws are trivial and asinine. You are left then, with the misguided viewpoint that at some point you will have paid enough money that flaws have been completely eradicated and the option to complain is notably absent. If you are living life this way, I urge you to rethink it, as you will spend a lot of money and ultimately end up disappointed. There is no absolute perfection, only relative perfection, at ANY price.

That said, the $500 Customs, while not perfect, are really really nice. ;)

[/rant off]

Thoughts? :wave:

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfection, like beauty (not to mention value) is in the eye of the beholder...

Most of the things I hear complained about I couldn't care less about.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfection, like beauty (not to mention value) is in the eye of the beholder...

Hear hear. The only 'Perfect' light I ever had was one I built on a hard hat. I glued together bits of copper, a power LED, a driver and battery. I added two modes and put hot glue on the LED to make a diffuser. That hat-light was reasonably reliable with self-clearing switches, potted electronics, and duct-tape fixability. I wouldn't dare sell it, but it gave me better performance for certain tasks than some $500 headlamps. It wasn't perfect for being good - it was perfect because I fixed all the things that bothered me about it.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's entirely possible there's some aesthetic flaw with the light I use for room lighting during a power outage, but hours later, when it's just been sitting there on all night without dimming, and I haven't even thought about the problem of providing light and am on to other things, I don't think I'll mind..

davyro

Enlightened
Everyone is different & everyone has different opinions,standards,likes & dislikes & that's exactly how it should be.I personally don't get bothered by small imperfections there's far to many more serious things going on in the world
to have a moan about.

LGT

Enlightened
While I'm sure most everybody will visually pore over every aspect of a new light, as I do. I've never really had a complaint about a missing speck of HA, a slightly off center emitter, or a mismatch in the color of the different parts. As long as they function as advertised, I'm happy. Plus my lights are used hard in good weather, bad weather, dropped, tossed and just all around beat up.

scout24

Flashaholic
But, but, but... Even DAVE says in ALL his sales threads that McGizmos are PERFECT!!! :mecry: :poke: :D :nana:

We are fortunate to have the plethora of quality factory lights available to us that we do, (There are a bunch of very good ones out there...) and blessed as enthusiasts to have the customs available to us that we do. A more talented group of engineers, designers and craftsmen would be tough to find outside of our halls, methinks.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
For me it would be like complaining that a screw driver handle had a small bubble in in it, etc...I don't really care as long as the dang thing works.

If the 'imperfection' makes me worry about reliability...sure...that might be an issue.

Aesthetics, eh, I might throw a light AT the ground to make a point...so, it will likely get dented or scuffed, etc, any way.

If it lights up what its supposed to for as long as its supposed to as brightly as its supposed to, I'm happy.

I DO have different expectations for different price points, etc...and I don't expect a long heavy light to survive a fall that a p60-ish light could take...the physics are just too limiting when the light's heft itself is the killing force, etc.

:D

nbp

Flashaholic
But, but, but... Even DAVE says in ALL his sales threads that McGizmos are PERFECT!!! :mecry: :poke: :D :nana:

We are fortunate to have the plethora of quality factory lights available to us that we do, (There are a bunch of very good ones out there...) and blessed as enthusiasts to have the customs available to us that we do. A more talented group of engineers, designers and craftsmen would be tough to find outside of our halls, methinks.

I think Dave is just talking about the machining. And yes, they ARE perfect in that regard. ;)

I agree that some of these lights I carry, McG, Mac, Muyshondt (my three favorite custom builders) are about as close to perfect as humans are likely to make them or ever need them to be. But even with the care that goes into them, and the money they cost, there are still flaws IF you insist on looking for them. Are they worth complaining about even in these high dollar lights? Not in my estimation. As I said, they are still far better than I need them to be for my generally low intensity usage and non-life threatening daily activities. That's what makes it even more funny when people complain about silly issues on significantly cheaper lights, especially when by all normal measures the light is still really good! (There was a thread earlier today in regards to an off center emitter and the apparent lack of QC indicated by it that made me go :ohgeez: The asymmetry was virtually unnoticeable. )

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think some are just not as "de-sensitified".
when i first started researching lights. anything over $60 was a lot of money to spend on a flashlight. my limit was about $80. but now, my average is over a $100 per light.
you see a lot of $10-$30 lights from major retailers, then you see the higher end stuff costing more than double that price, and dont really understand where that extra cost comes from. for some, paying $50 for a light is a lot of money, and others its a mid-level light. and then for some, $400 for top of the line, cant get any better than this, is a bargain.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just depends. The more a light costs the higher my expectations are. However, I'll accept some flaws on a hand made light that are not acceptable in a mass produced light.

I also have higher standards for longtime established lights vs newer models. As the kinks and issues that come with new models should be worked out after some time. New manufacturers I judge based on price point.

AaronG

Enlightened
There are quite a few silly inexcusable flaws threads and rants. It also makes me shake my head when users go on about design flaws like no pocket clip or no anti roll feature. There are more flashlight models than I can keep track of and they all appeal to different users. Some like hex heads and some like round. It's not a "flaw" it's just not the model for you.

It's very easy to get diluted in a day and age where everything is built for you. The best cure for for being too picky is to try and build something yourself. Not a you assemble item, actually build something from scratch. I garantee you'll have a better appreciaton for day to day items afterwards

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
There are more flashlight models than I can keep track of and they all appeal to different users. Some like hex heads and some like round. It's not a "flaw" it's just not the model for you.

Thank you! I wish more CPFers had this attitude. So many think that what they like/want is what EVERYONE should like/want.

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG

I just looked at my McGizmo Haiku and can tell from 50x magnification
that the cutter blade used in the barrel was different than the one used on the head.

OMFG I wants me monies back

(har har jus kidding)

Captainbeaky

Newly Enlightened
I like your attitude man...

If a £1 flashlight does the job you need, then it's perfect.
I didn't know you could gat a "Custom" flashlight.
I knew that some diving torches are rediculaous money - £600 etc,.
A member of the dive club bought one and then couldn't afford to go diving!

I've got a really battered old 3 D cell maglite.
Ive had it for years and years - I bought it back in 1998 when I worked for Jaguar cars and visited the US on business.
I bought three maglites then, a 2xAA, 3XD and a 6xD ( the exchange rate was good - and I had never seen a 6-D cell maglite before!)

I still have them all.
The 3-D is my favourite.
It's scuffed and old and battered, streaked with paint etc etc,.
Has seen many camping trips - it's the standard torch that I take with me everywhere in my car.
It's seem me through breakdowns, putting the tent up in a gale, walking back from many a late night session in some country pub (usually suffering from the over-imbibing of ale!) building a wall in the dark, etc etc.
Until the bulb failed.
Then I found out about the LED inserts, and upgraded the bulb to a 3W cree element.
So for very little cash, I've got a nice 3W cree torch - and it's perfection.
It does what I want - and I love it because it's been with me around the world - is battered to hell, and STILL WORKS.
I loved the thing before - I love it even more now it has a new bulb.
(And because it's battered to hell - none wants to steal it!)

A mate has given me a nearly new LED Mag - it is in seriously good nick.
It's like new - but I prefer my old 3-D..... It's perfectly worn (even if it does roll off the table every time!)

M.

Yourfun2

Enlightened
There is no finer, more useful flashlight than 4Sevens. That is what it says right on the box. I have 5 of them and they are all perfect. Having a hard time underthings what all the complaints are about.

If you are not happy with something, send it back. That is my solution. Ninety percent of people keep what they get and live with it. I think this has caused quality control to slip on a lot of products. Fortunately in this industry we are very lucky. Almost all the lights work right out of the box. Even when we push them to their limit, most of them keep on working.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Keep in mind that for guessing the majority of people spending even 50 bucks on a flashlight is considered a big coin. I just want them to work so I don't trample a timber rattlesnake or break my neck slipping on a root night hiking to camp.

fyrstormer

Banned
Please. Just because I made that ONE guy commit seppuku because he sold me a flashlight with the wrong tint bin, you gotta make it sound like a big deal.

Seriously though, if you saw what I see in the mirror every morning, you'd understand why I have impossibly-high expectations. :whistle:

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Ehhh, if the view is that bad, the finest flashlight known to man won't capture the ladies attention.