Hurrican SANDY 2012 - Prediction as to LIGHTS OUT?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I saw the phrase "Lights Out for NYC" and so forth in the Hurricane Sandy tracking projections.

This implies that if some of the models are correct, on Mon/Tue, there will be a slow moving storm that will dump a sheet load of water on the east coast, and potentially knock out the power like it did for Irene, etc.

Its hitting Florida now I think, and moving up from there.

Sooooo, when the "lights go out", well, we seem to get sort of excited around here.

Who's running out to scarf up batteries and bottled water and so forth?

:D

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy has the potential to hit the east coast hard just before Halloween. It might make landfall around Washington D.C. (European forecast) or New York City (Fox News U.S. Forecast). This storm has the potential to be worse than the Perfect Storm of 1991 (if it makes landfall) and may cause a billion dollars in damage. It could cause widespread power outages for an extended period of time. The specific track of this hurricane is still in question. It may turn east and avoid land, or it might hit land without much warning (in which case, if you're in the damage path, I would suggest stocking up a couple weeks worth of food, water, and supplies now).

www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/future-sandy-east-coast-tropic/546066

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
No need to stock up on anything, but I'll charge some RCR's up on Saturday if the current projections hold true. (I'm an hour northwest of NYC...) Just ran my genny and chainsaw last month, and cleaned off my deck last weekend. We're ready...:popcorn:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hurricane Sandy

Here on Long Island - waiting to see where it will hit. Past hurricanes have been destructive. One item that always seems to be hard hit is the local power. Most of Long Island has overhead power lines, and lots of trees, old big trees. The trees go down and take the power lines with them. That yields no heat, no hot water. The first couple days are tolerable, after that it is a pain.

scout24

Flashaholic

Thankfully, the bulk of our leaves are down here, definitely better than half. And, it's October and not January, so cold is not as big a factor. We'll know more by this time tomorrow night, but the eye making landfall in NYC and curving NW does not make me warm and happy...

karnevil

Newly Enlightened
If it hits me I'll be fine. I have plenty of fuel for the generator, I recently restocked my cr123a supply, and all of my eneloops are ready to go. Although, I'm not sure how much of the storm I'll feel on my side of the state. They say it may come as far west as Ohio, but most of these storms stay on the other side of the Appalachians.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The mountains do tend to deflect the flow at least, you might luck out. :D

Its predicted to be a slow mover, so it sits for a long time with high winds and flooding really blasting each location. The power company already emailed me to say they expect trees to take out lines, etc...and to assume if the power goes out, that they already know and not to call.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sooooo, when the "lights go out", well, we seem to get sort of excited around here. Who's running out to scarf up batteries and bottled water and so forth?

Hah! Already stocked up! Full fuel tanks in the vehicles, plenty of propane for the camping stove, Reserve water containers filled, Kerosene lanterns cleaned and fueled and, because they mention the possibility of sudden temperature drops and snow here, I just got back from picking up 15 gallons of kero for the emergency heaters.

GOOD TO GO!

Of course the odds of anything but wind making it to my area are slim, but this is the sort of "prep" I maintain anyway so nothing new to see here <grin>.

battlehawk

Newly Enlightened
I saw the phrase "Lights Out for NYC" and so forth in the Hurricane Sandy tracking projections.

This implies that if some of the models are correct, on Mon/Tue, there will be a slow moving storm that will dump a sheet load of water on the east coast, and potentially knock out the power like it did for Irene, etc.

Its hitting Florida now I think, and moving up from there.

Sooooo, when the "lights go out", well, we seem to get sort of excited around here.

Who's running out to scarf up batteries and bottled water and so forth?

Im in NC. Believe Sandy will blow right by us. We may get some rain. Im not on the coast. But I got my lights,JIC. On low (13 lum) I can go 150 hrs and I have 4 sets of batts!!!!! Yeah, I know, overkill, but when you like lights you can never be too ready. :naughty:

Be safe out there guys.Especially up north.

LGT

Enlightened
All I can say is if you live in an area that could be hit by this storm, they can change tracks at any time, prepare for the worse. If a storm, such as this, causes enough damage along the East Coast, then those areas will have a limited number of Utility and downed tree removal crews that they can call for assitance from nearby, because everybody is trying to restore power in their own backyard. At this point help is requested from Utilities many States away, some requiring two days travel just to reach their destination. Also, with wide spread damage, it's just a slow process to build everything back up again.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Last year with Irene, it took MONTHS for some areas to get back online.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder how this storm might possibly affect the upcoming election and perhaps its outcome? It will be affecting the most populated areas on the east coast and beyond up until a few days before the election, and there are likely to be numerous power outages well beyond Election Day. You might think that polling stations would have paper ballots on hand in case of a power outage, but this is not required. Each county can choose to postpone the election up to 14 days, but it is highly likely that any delayed votes will be questioned by the electoral college. You also have to consider that voter turnout will be greatly reduced in the event of inclement weather, power outages and infrastructure damage. Both political parties may go into a crazed frenzy trying to prove why these possibly late votes should or shouldn't be counted. Maybe there will be a decision to postpone the election? This weather event could end up making hanging chads seem like child's play.

Hurricane Sandy could end up having more of an effect on our democracy and electoral system than it does on our infrastructure.

LGT

Enlightened
Last year with Irene, it took MONTHS for some areas to get back online.
The work that Verizon, Cox, Comcast or whatever provider serves your area is much more intricate then the electric company stringing up wires. Work is done from transmission points outwards. If one is at the end of the line, you'll be the last hooked up. With events like Irene, there isn't a simple switch to get everybody back online at the same time.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to the TV pundits - as long as it has little effect on Ohio, the weather should not matter. ( for the last few weeks most TV news reporters/analysts have been saying that Ohio will be the deciding state )

EZO - You bring up a very valid issue. No electricity, no gas stations pumping fuel,

DucS2R

Enlightened
Storms like this bring out the OCD in me, I have been through a couple of hurricanes on the Outer Banks and they can be pretty nasty. Lost our roof once while inside the house, don't want to experience that again!

I live in WV now so we are probably not in the danger zone though they do jump the Appalachians now and again and some models are calling for us to get a foot of wet heavy snow. Anyway, have a good supply of firewood, did the chainsaw duty last summer to remove large trees close to the house and have topped off the batteries in every light in which I use rechargeables. I hate to admit it but I thoroughly enjoy the process of preparing for a storm. I have a feeling there may be a few individuals on this forum who share my weirdness :)

T

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to the TV pundits - as long as it has little effect on Ohio, the weather should not matter. ( for the last few weeks most TV news reporters/analysts have been saying that Ohio will be the deciding state )

EZO - You bring up a very valid issue. No electricity, no gas stations pumping fuel,

I gave up paying attention to the TV pundits a long time ago. Their comments and agenda on either side suit their own political and commercial agendas rather than the good of the nation or an interest in an honest analysis or dialog.

And of course, there is always Florida to consider. Remember those chads?

Things could get interesting.

LGT

Enlightened
I also like preparing for any forthcoming storms. Takes one out of the everyday tasks. And gives a feeling of satisfaction getting ready for something bad to come.

Last edited:

Latest posts