LS TSP to twisty conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahoney

Enlightened
I have never been a big fan of the Kroll, it turns on way too easily in a pocket or holster, and a recent need for some more 2AA battery packs led me to an experiment. Not exactly rocket science, I removed the Kroll and replaced it with a Mini-Mag tailcap. It works great. If the LS head has a foam ring, eventually the spring pressure from the tailcap spring will compress the foam and the light will come on as you tighten the battery pack. If there is no foam ring the LS won't turn off unless you unscrew the battery pack almost all the way! In this case you will need to remove the tailcap spring and insert a conductive spacer into the hole in the tailcap. I used a #9 X 3/4" copper rivet stuck into the red plastic sleeve that held the Mag spare bulb. It's just what I had handy that fit the criteria of conductive and fairly large to spread out the force on the bottom of the batteries, but still fitting in the hole. But even a cut-down nail should work.
This "mod" works on the 123 TSP packs as well although the asthetics leave a lot to be desired IMO. But it looks great on the 2AA TSP and makes it "holster friendly" for my uses.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Ahhh! Mr. Mahoney, thus the need for the black tailcaps! Nice find! Later my friend! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now all we need is a modder out there to make aluminum wafers, externally threaded, that have a protrusion on one side to contact the negative side of the battery, and a coin/screwdriver slot on the other for insertion and tightening so it sits flush in place of the Kroll. (Perhaps it would need a shelf to tighten against the batt pack and as a result wouldn't quite be flush...) Add a groove and an o-ring for water tightness if possible. Instant twistie conversion from a clickie!

Status
Not open for further replies.