TK40 fixed after a year of not working!

battlehawk

Newly Enlightened
Maybe this will help someone out there.

I bought my TK40 back in 2010. I loved my light! Then about a year ago, I clicked it on and...NOTHING, it simply stopped working. It was not dropped or anything. it worked great then stopped. It didn't cut off, it just wouldn't come back on. So, long story short, Iv'e tried many things, but nothing worked. I was sick. I went a year without my light.:sigh:

Well the other day, I was reading some older threads on CPF about TK40 issues. Someone said "sounds like it has to be your battery cartridge". So, once again, I took the batteries out and checked all screws, nuts ect. THEN, (I had never done this) I REACHED INSIDE THE CENTER OF THE CARTRIDGE AND TURNED THE CENTER BAR CLOCKWISE AND IT TURNED SO I TIGHTENED IT UP. I put it all together and IT WORKED!!!! :grin2:

Hope this helps someone. Let me know if you have any questions. I am so happy you wouldn't believe it. Ive got my TK40 :clap: back!

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
Great news. Fenix are stunning torches with superb beams and reasonable build quality. For me they could easily become the biggest manufacturer of torches on earth with just a few neat tricks in place and a brand awareness drive...at least here in the UK.

battlehawk

Newly Enlightened
I know TK40 was big stuff when it first came out. "Brightest light made" etc. Now, they dont even make it any more. Now its a TK41. And, everyone has big bright lights.

But when yours stops working and you paid $160, you go into mourning. Getting it back and in full working order is like Christmas morning. Its like I just got it and its newwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!:clap:

Can you tell I been missing my light? Sorry if I'm :dedhorse:.

Thanks for your replies.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my TK40. I know it's outdated and will one day become completely obsolete, but it was the first of it's kind and a benchmark light. I don't use mine much anymore, maybe once a month just for old times sake, but it's a superb light and I wish they'd make an XM-L version of it. I like the location of the switch and the UI.

xlight

Banned
Great story. I am glad you fixed your tk40. Anyway, dont forget the service warranty.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never seen the TK40, although I own a TK41 U2 version. But I do own a Cree MC-E light(an iTp A6) and I like the tint and the beam quality too, so I'd like to have a TK40....

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my TK40. I know it's outdated and will one day become completely obsolete, but it was the first of it's kind and a benchmark light. I don't use mine much anymore, maybe once a month just for old times sake, but it's a superb light and I wish they'd make an XM-L version of it. I like the location of the switch and the UI.

Ahh, they Do make an XM-L version of the TK-40, its the TK-41....

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TK40 that has seen almost daily use without problems. I guess I got lucky...... but if I do have problems I know where to look first! Thanks!

bill_n_opus

Enlightened

I bought my TK40 back in 2010. I loved my light! Then about a year ago, I clicked it on and...NOTHING, it simply stopped working. It was not dropped or anything. it worked great then stopped. It didn't cut off, it just wouldn't come back on. So, long story short, Iv'e tried many things, but nothing worked. I was sick. I went a year without my light.:sigh:

Well the other day, I was reading some older threads on CPF about TK40 issues. Someone said "sounds like it has to be your battery cartridge". So, once again, I took the batteries out and checked all screws, nuts ect. THEN, (I had never done this) I REACHED INSIDE THE CENTER OF THE CARTRIDGE AND TURNED THE CENTER BAR CLOCKWISE AND IT TURNED SO I TIGHTENED IT UP. I put it all together and IT WORKED!!!! :grin2:

Hope this helps someone. Let me know if you have any questions. I am so happy you wouldn't believe it. Ive got my TK40 :clap: back!

... runs off to check my tk40 that's been sitting on shelf for last year ...

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, TK41 has a smooth reflector and two side switches. I want o/p reflector and single (or double if it's like the LD40) tail switch.
I've got the TK41, and while it's brighter, it's not better.

Oh, the TK40 doesnt have a side switch or 2? I assume it has a rear clicky and not a bezel twist ring for on/off?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battlehawk: Glad you got it working. The TK40 passed the most destructive test I ever saw, so I'd be surprised if it stopped working without apparent reason. You should get yourself a multimeter and save yourself from such troubles, although it's like you just bought a new light without spending a penny.

Oh, the TK40 doesnt have a side switch or 2? I assume it has a rear clicky and not a bezel twist ring for on/off?

The TK40 has a rear button. Hold down for mode change.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened

Expletive Gone - Norm. awesome.

You helped me bigtime.

My tk40 was sitting on the shelf collecting dust for the last year. Same thing ... just stopped working, couldn't figure out why. I don't have a multimeter ( I guess I should) so I just did the usual physical inspection and that's it. Never got around to sending it back or whatever (too lazy, I have like a billion kids ...).

I periodically check CPF and saw your thread and I finally check my tk40 this morning. Lo and behold the center column/bar/whatever was "loose". I turned it clockwise and it tightened up. Put in some eneloops and turned it on and it was working again. F*ck yeah!

So, thanks a ton. I bet there are other tk40 owners out there with the same problem come to think of it.

(Sorry Norm! The excitement got the best of me ...)

Last edited:

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Fenix TK-40 Flickering

This is pretty disappointing. Granted I've had the light for 2-3 years and I've used it some but you would expect a $140 light to last for a long time.

Light had been working great. I went to turn it on. It didn't turn on. I smacked the light with my hand. It turned on. A few minutes later it turned off on it's own. I smacked it again. It didn't turn on. I pushed the clicky in and out a few more times. It finally turned back on. This process went on for a while.

I looked at the battery holder. Everything looks okay. Connections were tight. I replaced the eneloops with alkalines. No difference. Still turning off on it's own and not wanting to turn on.

Any ideas? Anyone else have any problems with this flashlight not turning on and then turning off on it's own?

Thanks

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix TK-40 Flickering

My TK-40 worked well for a few months, and then started shutting off unpredictably (even with fully-charged Tenergy cells). Then pretty soon it would not turn on when I clicked the switch, until I clicked it a dozen times, when it would decide randomly to turn on.

I cleaned all the contacts, and made sure that I had 6 volts coming out of the battery-holder. But still it acted totally unreliable.

I stopped using it.

It's a darned shame, because I liked the light, liked the beam (very floody) and liked the ability to use AA's.

But it has not worked--not really, reliably worked in a trouble-free way-- since a few months after I bought it.

I wish I knew what to suggest for your case. And I wish I had sent the light back to Fenix when it first started acting up.

GrnXnham

Enlightened

Sounds like the exact same problem I have. I just cleaned all the contacts as well and then it still took like 10 times turning it on and off before it finally came on.

GrnXnham

Enlightened

Thanks, SCD! Missed that thread when I did a search.

It seems to have worked for now.

I sure can't figure out why twisting that center bar fixes it but why argue with a good thing?