Pocket Clips: not understanding some orientations and locations

Slamfire

Newly Enlightened
I can't understand the reasoning of the pocket clip orientation and location of some flashlights. I feel maybe they are pocket carrying in a way that I haven't imagined.

I have used a streamlight stylus pro for the last year (issued free at work). To me the pocket clip is logically laid out. The clip is extremely close to the clicker end and orients the light emitter INTO your pocket, protecting the glass window. From the forums it appears that Fenix LD20 and a Quarks X 2AA are popular choices for 2AA flashlights. On these popular choices, why is the clicker an inch away from the clicker end? I just don't get see ANY benefit to this...

And more mindboggling to me are surefire lights... When you use the clip on my E2E surefire light, it points the emitter up and OUT of your pocket. I just don't understand the logic to this! Right after you pull it out of your pocket you have to flip it around. Not to mention your emitter window is not shielded in this carry position.

Can someone please knock some sense into my thick skull?!?!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
You and I seem to share common ground on carry preferences. I love a deep carry clip but at the same time there are variances that make things acceptable to me. Example 1: A longer light like an Armytek Predator is okay to me for an inch or so to be sticking out of my pocket. Example 2: A very long light like a Surefire C3 is acceptable to carry bezel up. I hated carrying a light this way but I tried using a Bezel down LX2 clip on it and then switched back after figuring out it just felt more natural bezel up in a light that size.
It's all about how you draw your light from your pocket as to how comfortable/natural it will feel. Either way(bezel up or down) has a seamless method for me now.
I'm not the best at explaining myself sometimes so I tried to shoot a "pictorial" of my 2 methods.

BEZEL DOWN CARRY.
I grab the light (LX2) in a standard overhand grip, pull the light out and it's ready for action.

BEZEL UP CARRY.
I grab the light (C3) by reaching "over" it, wrapping my thumb around the bezel and pulling up.

Like I said, I'm not great at explanation so I hope the pics help, they were harder to take than I expected shooting solo (home alone) To help orient things, I carry my lights in my left front pocket.

BTW: :welcome:

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Can someone please knock some sense into my thick skull?!?!

Nope. ;)
But I can tell you this: my Quark has a reversible clip, and I have it pointing away from the flashlight head so that I can clip it to the visor of a hat.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. ;)
But I can tell you this: my Quark has a reversible clip, and I have it pointing away from the flashlight head so that I can clip it to the visor of a hat.

I think this the main reason... by having the clip on the batt tube, vs head or clicky, it's in an easy position to reverse. I like having my Quark's clip closer toward the middle.... it balances better when clipping to my shirt collar for hand-free use, and it's also my best light for lantern duty.....clicky

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i actually like bezel up position for lights that i use a overhand grip. such as the E2E.
with it bezel up, the motion of pulling out from my pocket and activating it is a more natural movement.
when its time to put the light back into my pocket, its also a more natural movement putting it back bezel up.
this way i never have to change grip positions, and risk fumbling it.

i edc a surefire L1, which has the same type of clip of the E2E, but i dont even use the clip, i just deep pocket carry it, and i always put it in bezel up.

carry method and how its used is my deciding factor.
if the light is usually used in a cigar-type grip, such as a HDS or surefire C2, then bezel down in the pocket is preferred.
i also holster carry some lights, and depending on where the light is positioned on my belt, it could be either bezel up or down. it really depends on how i reach the light, and activate it. i dont want to have to contort my arm just to pull out my light, and turn it on.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
think2x illustrated it perfectly. You use two different draw techniques depending on clip orientation.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a bezel down, deep pocket clip. Hate everthing else with a passion. If it's reversible, that's OK, but if it can't go bezel down and deep pocket I won't even look at it. In fact, I'll shake my head in utter disgust.

I know, I know, "Tell us how you really feel". LOL

Last edited:

Mindfields

Newly Enlightened
On the smaller flashlights (eg 1xAAA), Bezel up clips allow the flashlight to be mounted on the rim of a hat to go handsfree.