Yet another Infinity mod.......

Dan C

Enlightened
Just whipped this up tonight. I made a new head assembly for an Infinity body which utilizes a MadMax sandwich and full-length NX05 optic that has been reduced in diameter to .560". The head was bored from the rear, leaving a small lip at the front for the optic to bear against, then a separate part was press-fitted in to position the optic and provide a ground for the sandwich. The beam looks just like the Firefly or any other typical LD light and is surprisingly bright for one AA. Next up is to shorten, bore and re-thread the body to take a CR2 batt..
infinity1.jpg

infinity2.jpg

infinity3.jpg

Dan C

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod, Dan. Now why do you want ME to mod your lights? It should be the other way around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Dan C

Enlightened
Heck CM, as you are aware, I know *nothing* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif about electronics. Without sandwiches I'd be totally helpless. I NEED you, ha!

Dan C

TheFire

Enlightened
Nice! I've been thinking about doing something like that, just haven't gotten around it it yet... (time consuming midterms)

Do you have an o-ring sealing things in the front?

Paul

Dan C

Enlightened
Nah, no o-ring. Didn't have one handy of the right size. The optic is in there very tight however. I made the retainer with an interference fit and used an arbor press to install it, then machined it to properly position the sandwich. Next one I do, I may use a threaded retainer ala Arc, but right now I don't have an internal threading tool small enough to single point that .560" hole....

Dan C

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need another Infinity for more prototyping lemme know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool, Dan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I like how you bored the head from the rear and left the lip for the optic to bear against.

This is a clever way of addressing my main problem with the exposed emitter domes and open reflectors of the Infis and Arcs...they collect dust and grit and are difficult to clean without scratching the dome.

On a dove hunt a couple of months ago, I dropped my Arc AAA in the mud. (Yes, I am a febrile old man) and it nosedived and filled up with slimy mud to the brim which of course occluded the light almost entirely. I waited until I was back at the cabin to clean it out with alcohol and compressed air.

I am a fan of the Infinities and have purchased several and given them to family and friends, so I'm always interested in seeing what you talented fellahs do with them./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Dan,

There is sufficient wall to bore that puppy for a 123 if you use an 11/16-24 tap. You have to slightly bore the inside thread, but it works.

Larry

Dan C

Enlightened
Larry, a 123 eh? Yikes, I didn't notice that. Think I'll stick with the CR2 as I have a couple of excellent, compact 123 lights. You may have heard of them, Fireflies? Ha! I could never match the quality of those, they are the benchmark of little 123 lights now...

Oh, I just finished the CR2 batt pack. What a killer little pocket light!

Dan C /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif