What lights do you have charged up and ready to go for Hurrican Sandy?

pizza8guy888

Newly Enlightened
Hurricane Sandy is getting all the attention here on the East Coast, and some people are freaking out. So in preparation, what lights do all you East Coast flashaholics have ready for the storm?

trialt

Newly Enlightened
I am currently in north western PA so I decided to stock up on some canned food and some water. Lights and batteries on the other hand are last on my shopping list during an emergency (probably have enough to last me some lifetimes) ... I guess that is the advatage of being a flashaholic :)

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
All of the same lights that I always have charged up and ready to go. The only thing out of the ordinary that I might do is to swap primaries into some of the lights that may get loaned out.

BudK

Newly Enlightened
We have:
a 3-c overdriven Nichia equipped 2d mag , couple solarforces with various custom drop ins .
A female wood duck decoy (plastic,floating)with multiple hi-cri led's modified as a table lamp . I should do a thread on that .
A modded E-03 Xeno.
3d mag with 5000k xml & custom reflector .
& other stuff .
The kids have some long running older lights with commercial upgrades .
Bunches of batteries at relative max charge to incite the photons thereof .

scout24

Flashaholic
All of my regulars, with a bias toward runtime. MD2 high/ low with an M61LLL, VME head on an E2e body with an M61NLL, Aeon, two Nautilodes as Enrique dubbed the plural, EO1's, a Milky Candle, my two 007's, Haiku XML, SF E1L wearing an FO4 diffuser. Malkoff Wildcat ready for big area lighting outside if needed, and my Alpha ready made for the same use. Oveready copper 219, too. :) Not to mention the headlamps! 2x ZL 501's with Eneloops, and several assorted others. Lots of ceiling bounce, lots of runtime...

DaveG

Enlightened
Gas for the gen,charged all batteries and lights.I tend to use low light 5mm led stuff in the house,Pak and Pal lights work well.Headlights a must have.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
- ThruNite TN11S
- ThruNite TN12
- EagleTac T20C2 MkII XM-L LO
- 4Sevens Quark X AA Tactical
- Lumapower LM21
- Dereeligh Javelin Shorty
- Ultrafire A3
- Fenix P2D

I expect the TN12, Quark X and LM21 to be most used, with TN11S standing by for when a ton of light is needed.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in the middle of the area where the storm is supposed to hit, and I am ready! I have 18 higher end LED lights, and a headlamp, and a headband that I can install lights into as well. But out of the 18 lights, 14 are running on rechargeable batteries, so I topped off all those batteries over the last 2 nights, and made sure I also topped off the extra rechargeable batteries I have stored. I also have a bunch of primary batteries at the ready.

I was given a 2 burner Coleman propane camp store just 3 days ago, so I have it and extra propane just in case the electricity goes out. Also have my MSR Simmerlite backpacking stove, and my Jetboil stove, with fuel for both. Got my Katadyn Guide backpacking water filter for filtering water should the pumping station go down.

I also went out today to help an old friend(who is literally old) get his stuff in order because he's like 72 and extremely overweight and doesnt get around well.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
ZL H502w because that worked great for the last 8 days of no power storm and Quark X AA2 as just got it in. Have a bunch more around and charging the batteries as we speak.

pizza8guy888

Newly Enlightened
great replies so far. I know every flashaholic is always ready. I myself have a ld41, tk60, and ba10 set up with plenty of spare eneloops and tenergy lsd cells. I work as a dispatcher and am not looking forward to monday and tuesday at work. Busy busy. Stay dry and stay safe everyone. It is nice to tell my parents not to worry about candles when they can just turn the tk60 on low setting and be set for about 400 hours of available light.

smokey240z

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to flashlight so all I got is a 2 pack of defiant cree xb-d 100 lumen for $9 and spare battery for my xd45 with tlr-1.

jamesbeat

Newly Enlightened
...I know every flashaholic is always ready....

Except me it seems :(

For some reason, I can't find my bag of AA Eneloops!

I went to get them yesterday to top them all off, but they weren't where I thought they were. I seem to have misplaced my AA flashlight too, so I bet they're all together in a closet somewhere...

It's not too bad though, I still have my Li-ion cells charged up and ready to go, and I have a little 1xAAA flashlight and around 50 AAA cells.

I realized also that I didn't have any flashlights capable of sustained low output. Since we may get a prolonged blackout, I have made a big version of a 'throwie' type thing using two C cells and a 5mm led. It puts out a tiny amount of light, and hopefully will continue to do so for a loooong time!

I work in a store that sells batteries, and I've noticed the rapidly increasing panic that appears to be spreading over Long Island.
I've had customers coming in all day asking for flashlights, radios and D cells, all of which we sold out of several days ago.

It's astonishing how rude some of the people are being when they find out that that we haven't got any left, and it's the exact same people who were laughing and making jokes about the hurricane a few days ago.
The sensible folks bought their batteries days ago, (we sold out of D cells on Thursday night, and all of the suppliers are out too) but somehow they're acting like it's my fault that they didn't think to buy batteries until a couple of hours before the storm hits!

scout24

Flashaholic
Went to my local grocery store around 5pm just to see how bad things were, and C & D cells were long gone... AAA, AA, 9V, and the "photo lithium" 123's and CR2's were still available, but picked through. A few lights left, some water and milk as well! I was pleasantly suprised that everyone seemed in pretty good spirits, all things considered. I did get a few looks for just buying some veggies... :)

andrewnewman

Enlightened
The current lights I have with fully charged batteries are:

MD2 with M61L (219 Hi CRI)
Fenix TK45
Olight S35
HDS Rotary
Nitecore EA1
ZL SC800

Good luck to everyone!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Legacy Nichia 219 with a loaded 17670 body and 1x123 body on standby with 3 RCR's
Fenix PD32 loaded with a 2900ma 18650 and 2 more on standby.
Surefire LX2 17670 + A2L head + E2C/Z44 and Malkoff M61
U2 Ultra 17670
Kroma 17670
C3 with M31-219 2xAA's Duraloops and 10 spares.

Not that I expect anything this far down the coast, I just keep'em all ready.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I topped the cells off and pretty much have enough capacity to last until the storm passes and the sun comes out on say Thursday or so....and then some. :D

I have large lead acid charger storage cells charged, that can do AC or DC output, plus lithium ion storage cell boxes for portable recharges.

I also use the Cottonpicker foldable solar panel charger set-up...so even if there's no fuel or electricity, etc...I can recharge the storage devices during the day.

This routine worked like a charm through Irene, etc.

:D

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to my local grocery store around 5pm just to see how bad things were, and C & D cells were long gone... AAA, AA, 9V, and the "photo lithium" 123's and CR2's were still available, but picked through. A few lights left, some water and milk as well! I was pleasantly suprised that everyone seemed in pretty good spirits, all things considered. I did get a few looks for just buying some veggies... :)

I did the same... REI cleaned out of AAA, AA, 123s but had stock in C size and 9V. Not too surprising, they had plenty of Eneloop AAs. CVS had 123s, AAAs and 9V, but no AA or C size. Radio Shack still everything.

Thanks for the Pak-lite runtime tests Scout... may come in handy.

lmorrison17

Newly Enlightened
DQG Tiny 1 and 2, LF2XT, FenixStream hybrid, Colman Max, Energizer headlamp (umm I like AAA lights) and a Xeno G42.
A 1971 Coleman dual mantel lantern and a gallon of fuel.
My favorite light a Fenix PD31 was stolen about a month ago and I just got around to replacing it found out they were discontinued.
So after a little research I ordered a Sunwayman C20C Tomahawk but it wont be here in time.
Located smack dead at the upper tip of the Chesapeake bay.
Larry

Last edited: