1 x aaa Thrunite vs. iTP \ Olight

jbrett14

Enlightened
First off, I need to thank Bobby C for recommending the Thrunite Ti light, and for providing the link to the great deal. I just got mine (4 of them) this week and I just completed a run-time test against the iTP A3 EOS & the Olight i3 EOS (pretty much the same as the iTP).

But before commenting on the results of my test, I would like to make a few comments about the Thrunite, as compared to the iTP \ Olight.

After using the iTP\Olight models as an EDC for a while now, the first thing I noticed upon opening my new Thrunite was how much better the grip is. The knurling on the Thrunite is perfect, in my opinion. I never realized how valuable this could be until I put it in my hand and operated it, one-handed, with ease. I am not able to do this very easily with either the iTP or the Olight models. Especially if I want to get into high mode.

The second thing I noticed was how well machined this little inexpensive light is. Very nice!

The third thing I noticed is how much smoother the threads are on the Thrunite model. Very nice!

The fourth thing I noticed was the MUCH EASIER UI which is great for both, those who like low mode first or high mode first. If you prefer to turn your light on high mode first, like I do, this light does not require you to twist on, then off, then on, then off, then on again, like the Olight, which, personally, I hate. You can just twist it right into high mode in one motion. This makes so much sense and it has given me reason to reconsider my dislike for multi-mode twisties.

But, how would this thing compare to the awesome output of the iTP \ Olight, which, quite frankly, was the reason I carried them, in spite of their UI which I hate. In fact, I hated it so much, that I preferred to go back to my single-mode iTP. I can see now that having a multi-mode was not my gripe, having a poor UI was.

So, after inserting a freshly charged Eneloop into each of these 3 lights, I turned them all on in HIGH, and let them run, facing the wall. I took pictures at 15 minute intervals, as well as observing them with my own eyes. The pictures didn't turn out very clear so you will have only my word to go by, if you are considering any of these lights.

For starters, the Thrunite appears brighter than the other two, having a bit tighter hot spot. I like it. As for the run-time, to my surprise, there was no comparison. I honestly thought that this is where the Thrunite would suffer, due to it being brighter. Wrong. Both the iTP & Olight lights pretty much burned out between 1 - 1.25 hours, while the Thrunite burned out between 2.25 - 2.5 hours (TWICE as long), and even then, it still had usable light whereas the others did not. This is incredible. And during that first 1 - 1.25 hours in which the iTP \ Olight were burning bright, the Thrunite was still brighter throughout that time.

Anyway, this wasn't a lab test, but it was a good real-world test for those who are just looking for some basic info from an actual user. Hope this is helpful.

Jonny

Racer

Enlightened
The Thrunite also has no PWM like the A3/I3. I've carried both the I3 and Ti, and I believe the Ti is superior. I also like the LD01, which has 3 efficient, constant current modes. But dollar for dollar, it's hard to beat the Ti.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Thank you for the comparo. I cant wait to receive my two thrunite ti's I ordered 6 days ago. Just waiting for them to finally email me an update on the order. Maybe 17 more weeks will finally result in a response.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Thank you for the comparo. I cant wait to receive my two thrunite ti's I ordered 6 days ago. Just waiting for them to finally email me an update on the order. Maybe 17 more weeks will finally result in a response.

Not sure who you ordered from but my order took about a week. I never did get an email update regarding the "shipping status", so it was a pleasant surprise for me to see them in the mail unexpectedly. Well worth the wait.

Time will tell how durable these things are. Mine will be used every day at work.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, jbrett. I ordered mine from "Thrunite-Store". Hopefully they actually shipped my order, but just neglected to email me an update, as claimed by their auto-generated email upon purchase.

I agree with your comment regarding the Thrunite knurling that...actually provides grip! I applaud the Thrunite engineers for including knurling that does what it's supposed to do, unlike the knurling on the majority of lights I've had in the past six years.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Olight EOS i3 and 3 Thrunite Ti's that I bought for $10 each with free shipping about 5 months ago. So I am now topping off all my batteries in all my lights in order to be prepared for this huge, major hurricane that is supposed to hit us dead on in 2 days or so, and is supposed to be the worst storm in a generation around here.

So, as I was removing the batteries from all of my Ti's, I was testing the voltage with my DMM, and I had a cheap 1.5v alkaline AAA in the blue Ti that I use the most, so just out of curiosity I checked the voltage in that battery, and it was 1.46v!! Granted its not my EDC light, and I have many other lights of all sizes, but I do use it at least once or twice every week or 2 for minor stuff like looking for something in my truck after dark, etc. , so I was shocked to see 1.46v.... So then I checked the Tenergy Centura AAA NIMh batteries out of the other Ti's and they were between 1.3 -1.32v. So there is very little parasitic drain is these lights, and they use very little battery power.

I agree that the Ti's have MUCH better grip than the Olight/iTp i3, and their UI is much easier to use. They throw much better too, but they still have a decent sized spill so they are good indoors too.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The added brightness is prob because of the xp-e led, they will give more lux (brighter hotspot) but overall less lumens than the xp-g.
I guess the trunite is not that hard driven in high mode, but still got a brighter hotspot than the harder driven xp-g lights?

Lo mode stopped working last week on one of my ti's. Bending back the little metal thingie wont fix it anymore. Now i have to find my qtc, might work if i put some under that metal lip :)

Had to reposition the foam, and lo worked fine again. Guess the foam was playing a trick on me.

I also noticed that the ti got a little bit deeper reflector than most of my other aaa lights. Both of mine got a 219 hi cri led :)

Last edited: