Zebralight blinky Low when battery is low?

Pretbek

Newly Enlightened
The battery ("cell" really, right?) of my ZL H502d was low and I saw that the light wouldn't switch to the High level anymore, which I understand. But when I turned it to Low, it would blink a few times and them turn off.
I did not expect that.

Does the XM-L need higher voltage to drive the LED at such a low level?
I thought that the light would simply step down to the lower levels as the available voltage dropped, not that Low would stop being available before Medium.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think the battery is just too worn down for this light. I've got a few lights (including an old H50) that will exhibit this same behavior. It is strange, however, if you are truly getting a medium level output without blinking. I always use rechargeables, which might explain some difference.

Geoff

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in hearing if this is normal with ZL... have low is kinda important to extend runtimes when your battery is on its last legs.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I've noticed some of my ZLs will flash and go all funky when the battery voltage gets a bit low. But not all, my H51c is an excellent battery vampire and will consistently fire up (on low only) with batteries that won't even raise a flicker in some of my other 1 x AA lights.