Is the Thrunite TN31 a MUCH better thrower than the Fenix TK41?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am at a serious quandry right now. I just found out that Thrunite is selling the TN-31 and the T-10 for only $139 right now, and for the next few days, then the sale ends. But I already have a TK-41, and I have never actually held the 2 lights side by side to compare the throw.

I have the newer 860L version of the TK-41, so the TN-31 is about 287 lumens brighter than the TK41, and it has a larger reflector, but I dont know if that makes a HUGE difference, and whether it would be worth it to buy the light. But I'd also get the T-10 in the deal, and I wouldnt mind having another single AA light. But I dont technically need it, because I have 2 other single AA lights now(my Spark SL5 is getting worked on under warranty because its side switch is too easy to click on).

What do you think?:thinking:

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is the Thrunite TN31 a MUCH better thrower than the Jetbeam TK41?

Fenix TK41 has lux of 55,000. TN31 does around 112,000.

To put it into perspective, TK41 has around 470 meters of effective throw. TN31 will do around 670 meters, on par with SR90.

However...

You can grab TN31 modified by saabluster over at One Stop Throw Shop. His custom version does a whopping 240,000 lux, translating to around 980 meters of throw. Not even the SR95UT can touch that.

Last edited:

Bwolcott

Enlightened

I am at a serious quandry right now. I just found out that Thrunite is selling the TN-31 and the T-10 for only $139 right now, and for the next few days, then the sale ends. But I already have a TK-41, and I have never actually held the 2 lights side by side to compare the throw.

I have the newer 860L version of the TK-41, so the TN-31 is about 287 lumens brighter than the TK41, and it has a larger reflector, but I dont know if that makes a HUGE difference, and whether it would be worth it to buy the light. But I'd also get the T-10 in the deal, and I wouldnt mind having another single AA light. But I dont technically need it, because I have 2 other single AA lights now(my Spark SL5 is getting worked on under warranty because its side switch is too easy to click on).

What do you think?:thinking:

I think you mean fenix tk41 and the thrunite does throw quite a bit better being around 100,000 lux vs about 60,000 of the tk41 u2 version, but it really depends on what you want it for? the tk41 will do pretty much the same thing the thrunite just does it better

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you mean fenix tk41 and the thrunite does throw quite a bit better being around 100,000 lux vs about 60,000 of the tk41 u2 version, but it really depends on what you want it for? the tk41 will do pretty much the same thing the thrunite just does it better

Yeah, I just got through recharging and replacing batteries in my 3 Jetbeam lights, and for some reason I got Jetbeam and Fenix mixed up. We have the hurricane bearing down on us and I've been topping off and recharging batteries for 2 days when I've had time.

But if I buy the TN31 and send it to Saabluster, will he mod it?

laur

Newly Enlightened

However...

You can grab TN31 modified by saabluster over at One Stop Throw Shop. His custom version does a whopping 240,000 lux, translating to around 980 meters of throw. Not even the SR95UT can touch that.

I was lucky in the LED bin lottery and have a TN31s (modified by saabluster) that is certified @275,000 Lux. This translates to about 1000 yards of throw!! You have to see it to believe it -- I have lit up trees at 900 yards on a local golf course!! It also will go down to 0.5 lumens which will give over 2000 hours of runtime. It is just an amazing flashlight.

laur

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was lucky in the LED bin lottery and have a TN31s (modified by saabluster) that is certified @275,000 Lux. This translates to about 1000 yards of throw!! You have to see it to believe it -- I have lit up trees at 900 yards on a local golf course!! It also will go down to 0.5 lumens which will give over 2000 hours of runtime. It is just an amazing flashlight.

laur

Did you buy the light from Saabluster, or did you buy it stock and then send it to him to mod?
Did you lose brightness with the mod, and is the beam much narrower, and do you still have decent spill beam like stock, or was the spill sacrificed in the mod as well?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

laur

He's really conservative with his measurement estimates, so I'm not surprised that yours has that kind of numbers.

But, still, 1,050 METERS OF THROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooowwwwww. That's just insane.

biglights

Enlightened

Let me know if you find out, I PMed him, but got no response. Its been almost a week. Must be busy or something :thinking:

I had the TK41 untill I got the TN31. I sold the Fenix soon after. The TN31 just destroyed it and I like the control ring a lot better.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think i read on his site that he doesnt

also he may have gotten his TN31's at the old price so he certainly would want to move those first

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

My L3 Illumination K40 will destroy my TK41. It's the older T6 version. And I have a light that puts out around 400,000 lux and I doubt if I could light up much at 1000yds for those that are saying otherwise. My goodness that's 3000 feet right there. That's over 8 football fields from goal post to goal post. And I don't see no light that puts out in the 250,000 lux range of throwing that far regardless who says different.

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would just the stock TN31 & T10 deal at $139.00. The TN31 will most likely have plenty of throw plus good spill to see everything.

biglights

Enlightened

I would just the stock TN31 & T10 deal at $139.00. The TN31 will most likely have plenty of throw plus good spill to see everything.

:thumbsup:

hahoo

Enlightened

My L3 Illumination K40 will destroy my TK41. It's the older T6 version. And I have a light that puts out around 400,000 lux and I doubt if I could light up much at 1000yds for those that are saying otherwise. My goodness that's 3000 feet right there. That's over 8 football fields from goal post to goal post. And I don't see no light that puts out even in the 250,000 lux range of throwing that far regardless.

do you have a lux meter that goes to 400,000 lux ?

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

do you have a lux meter that goes to 400,000 lux ?

No but I know a guy that specifically told me who has a few modded HID spotlights that is what this light is probably putting out. It will whip a TK70 and my K40 and leave them in the dust for throw.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

Let's put that into perspective. I keep hearing all this 1000 meters crap in throw when guys don't have a clue what they are talking about and how far that actually is.

Here's the K40 at 350yds zoomed in some on my camera on man exposure and a 1.4 sec shutter, f4 and ISO 400.

DSCF3992Small.jpg

Now your telling me that you have lights that will throw over 3 times this distance. Come on now. Even at 600yds this light would be pushing it to actully light an object up at that distance.

And here's the same shot on another nite with the big 120 watt halogen on the same settings as above. And this light has like a 10" reflector.

DSCF3873Small.jpg

And here's aiming at the trees with no zoom.

DSCF3882Small.jpg

And make fun of the rings all you want, but this light will throw with some of the best ones. And I still don't see it going to 1000yds let alone 1000 meters.

Last edited:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

It would take one hell of a flashlight to out throw this big spotlight.

DSCF1099Small.jpg

I think some people truly don't have a clue how far 1000 meters really is. And I'll also bet that very few flashlights would truly throw a 1000 meters especially here in Missouri.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
I personally myself from the experience I have in testing flashlights would love to honestly witness a flashlight that would throw 3 times the distance to the barn in this photo at about 375yds or so and actually light an object up to where you could see it with binoculars.

Re-edited: This is actually about 470yds after I found out about google earth.

DSCF0790Small.jpg

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

And make fun of the rings all you want, but this light will throw with some of the best ones. And I still don't see it going to 1000 meters let alone 1000yds.
1000M is a little further than 1000Y a metre is 3 feet 3⅜ inches.
But I have to agree that a 1000Metres sounds like a heck of a stretch, I had a home made 35W HID (similar light shown above) and the longest measured beam shot was around 600M.

dsc8290015.jpg

You can see a concrete tower just to the right of the post.​
Norm

Last edited:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

Yea I said that kind of backwards Norm. I used do do a lot of shooting and played football in high school. I know when you honestly start talking about even 500yds that most flashlights won't cover that distance in throw regardless of what the manufacturer rates them at. The K40 probably would make the 500yd barrrier but that is pushing it.

I was just playing around on this one with the 120 watt halogen spotlight. How far that beam actually went I haven't a clue.

DSCF3878Small.jpg

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

I took this one with the K40 not too long ago since I got this light for my birthday last week. I'm gonna say this is right around 400ds or so.

DSCF4001Small.jpg

And here it is zoomed in some to show how well it did.

DSCF4008Small.jpg

I think this light might actually go around 500 to 550yds or so max.

Latest posts