Quick question on LED tint for rifle hunting at night

JohnGalway

Newly Enlightened
I have just purchased a Crelant 7G5CS, the seller has emailed me asking if I was sure I wanted the "Neutral White-T6 3C" LED tint as I picked on their site. The other option is the "Cool White - U2 1A" which they say throws farther. An extremely important part of my hunting is colour definition, I am led to believe (unless I have picked this up wrong) that the Neutral White LED tint will be better on colour definition than the Cool White?

Many thanks,

John

Kabible

Enlightened
Yes. Browns and greens look more natural. I'll always use my neutral/warm lights for outdoors. I prefer a neutral/cool tint for on the job a mechanic.

stienke

Enlightened
I use a NW led for hunting and have a P60 red led (osram led) module ordered , a NW led does a better job in a rainy night or there is a little bit fog!
A XP-G led throws further than a XM-L and I think it's a better choice for hunting at night , I will try the red one in a couple of weeks for pig hunting in Germany.
Red doesn't scare the pigs or deers because they do not see 'red light' , I would say try different tints and leds and make a decision wich one you like the most.

Kabible

Enlightened
Agreed. The neutral range has more range of color the warmer you go. Go with an XP-G in the 5-6K temp range for 25-150 yards out. XM-L's are warmer (4-5K) with tints & shades from green to yellow and have broader beam profiles. Greens tend to make everything look dull to me. An XM-L in the right reflector is great from 75 yards down to point-blanc.
I'm trying out a Nitecore EC2 and an Olight S10. Impressed with both but would be happier with less green in the S10's tint. The EC2's tint is very neutral/white and just a bit cool.
Check out some of "Selfbuilt's" reviews.

Didn't know that about red.

Last edited:

somename

Newly Enlightened
I exclusively buy only Neutral or Warm White LEDs for my lights if they are available since they look much better in the woods to me. The warm lights make everything look natural like the old MAGLITEs, just way brighter.

For hunting I use a RED drop in LED on my Eagletac T20C2 and it easily shines 100 yards no problem. If I had a rifle scope I could probably use it out much farther, but I prefer bow hunting.

On a side note, don't think with a red or green light you are invisible to animals out there, just their eyes are less sensitive to it so they don't notice it as easily unless there is movement. I walk with the light shining on the ground in front of me when I walk in. But if the animals catch the movement of the light directly from the end of the flashlight where they can see the LED, then they will get alerted.

I was walking down a dirt road this weekend with the light on my bow when I was stopped dead in my tracks by animals moving in the brush next to me. I just kept the light pointed away from them and slowed my walking speed and crept by them without them being alerted enough to dart off.

JohnGalway

Newly Enlightened
I've always hunted with incandescent lights, I'm told the neutral tint is more like them, while the cool tint is more of a bluish light. I think my EagleTac has a cool white tint, I'll have to investigate that, and if it does I can then compare it to the Crelant with the neutral tint. Though by what I've read I can guess I will favour a light similar to the incandescent light as it's what I'm used to.

I'll be shooting out to 300 yards, so I do need that extra "poke". 100 yard lights are no use to me. A lot of people seem to get their animals into that range, they must be less used to humans and lights than where I am. Most of my shots would probably be between 140-190 yards. Sometimes there'll be a fox that isn't happy unless he's 200+ yards from me so I need that 300 option.

Thanks for all the replies :)

somename

Newly Enlightened
If your wanting a white light that shines 300 yards, there are plenty out there. An aspheric lense setup light will certainly do what you want for distance and much more and it will be a tight beam so animals don't get a glimps of the spill beam.

For colors like red and green one great setup is the laser designators. My father has one and they do shine an extremely long ways. The one he has if focus able for a wider beam for close and a tight beam for far. If you haven't seem them here is one I found on-line.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_135861_-1?N=6841428

You can also try products from here for rifle mounted lights that really shine as far as they say.
http://elusivewildlife.com/index.php?section=22&p=productMore&iProduct=261