Building up my "Bug-Out" kit with new flashlights

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
In my quest to be safer and more ready for SHTF I have built up four little keyring kits for my work bags and for our Bug-Out kits. I purchased the materials at CountyComm and built these up:

_DSC3530 by BobFairbairn, on Flickr

The lights are Maratac AA and AAA's I added the Ti pry bars, the SS peanut lighters, and Delrin battery cases to round them out. So the lights and the cases have L91 and L92 primaries in them. The check list now says check the lights in the bag every year!

Bob

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice setup, Bob. Might have to make one myself, especially since I've also got a Maratac, a Peanut, a Prybar, and a cable link. Just need that battery case.

Geoff

nbp

Flashaholic
Cool little kit, nice job. I'm continuing to work on a little kit kinda like that that goes in my pocket for EDC with a few handy things on it. Can never be too prepared.

deklan

Newly Enlightened
Good idea. Perhaps something like a small multitool would round it out nicely, like a Leatherman PS4 or Swiss Army Knife? :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hate to say it, but the fuel inside the Peanut Lighters tends to evaporate. Might be a good idea to check those too. And, more often than just once a year.

easyeggplant

Newly Enlightened
What do you use that titanium pry bar for?

It seems to me that it's small, thin,and soft (compared to other metals) but I guess I'm just not thinking outside the box.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
6765982087_ca03343f7d.jpg

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
Good thought. Changed to 6 months! I may replace them with some sort of fire starter. I am thinking about doing two rings. Fire / Light, Tools / Knives and looping them together, or something. The key is to have them where you need them!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For a basic firestarter I rely on mini Bic lighters. Tiny, thin, reliable, no evaporation of fuel. Unfortunately no keyring attachment. One idea is to loop a shoe-string around the body. Take a tiny bit first though to form a loop on the bottom. Wrap the body of the lighter. That should secure the bottom loop. Add a drop of Krazy Glue if needed.

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
The pry bar is great for lots of things. I open boxes, cut cardboard, pry out staples. And more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a basic firestarter I rely on mini Bic lighters. Tiny, thin, reliable, no evaporation of fuel. Unfortunately no keyring attachment. One idea is to loop a shoe-string around the body. Take a tiny bit first though to form a loop on the bottom. Wrap the body of the lighter. That should secure the bottom loop. Add a drop of Krazy Glue if needed.

IMG_9492.jpg

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I like it but its hard to say whether its good or not, since we don't know anything about your bug-out situation, such as whether or not you have a place to go and how long it will take to get there on foot.

My bugout flashlight kit:

Headlight – Surefire Saint -- 3xCR123
Flashlight – HDS Rotary -- 1xCR123
Backup – Malkoff Hound Dog -- 4xCR123
Holster – HDS Holster
Batteries – 12xCR123 + fresh ones in lights (20 total)

--

Gets me from my current residence to my Bug Out Location in one piece, not meant for indefinite/longterm away-from-civilization survival. Sort of a 1-week configuration. Current plausible threats in my AO are tsunami or bushfire. No aliens, book of eli, walking dead or gray state. I could strip it down to just the HDS + SF Minimus and be good for awhile.

boblights.jpg

HIDblue

Enlightened
Hate to say it, but the fuel inside the Peanut Lighters tends to evaporate. Might be a good idea to check those too. And, more often than just once a year.

+1. Had several peanut lights where the lighter fluid evaporated within 2-3 months. The O-ring seal seems to be the weakest point on those. Great concept and I still carry a mini-peanut lighter on my key ring, but I check it at least once a month.

GG came out with their own version of the peanut lighter that seems to be a bit more substantial and may have a better seal.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1. Had several peanut lights where the lighter fluid evaporated within 2-3 months. The O-ring seal seems to be the weakest point on those. Great concept and I still carry a mini-peanut lighter on my key ring, but I check it at least once a month.

GG came out with their own version of the peanut lighter that seems to be a bit more substantial and may have a better seal.
+2. I have ordered both the Peanut lighter and Split Pea from CountyComm. I have actually had no trouble with the Peanut lighter and it's lighter fluid has not (completely) evaporated in the 10 months it has been filled. This is what led me to pick up a Split Pea and it has been the complete opposite. The Split Pea will last about 2-3 weeks before it is bone dry. The O-ring on it seems to be too small/thin.

I picked up the GG version recently. It is more robust but you also feel that solid quality (except the ano which wears pretty easily). Time will tell how well it holds up with it's seal but 3 weeks in and it's still good. :)

IMG_20121112_104419.jpg

meyeracing

Newly Enlightened
you guys keep saying county comm been trying to find there website is there one sorry

schmanto

Newly Enlightened
nice setup. i would put a victorinox farmer on both rings. that's a great knife