looking for ideas for a mag2D upgrade

jspeybro

Enlightened
Hi guys,

I was asked to upgrade a mag 2D to led.
On the LED/optics side, I don't see any issues so far, I'll probably use a 44mm DX aspheric with a cree xml so that I can keep the ability to focus the light at will.
I'm more curious to your solutions for the driver in a mag 2D. I've been looking around, but couldn't really find any drivers that would run an XML from 3V and lower.

Do you have any ideas? Or would it be possible to direct drive the led from 2 D cells?
So far, I only made dive lights, so I have no idea at what current you can drive an XML in a maglite without overheating the led. It should be possible to keep the light on without fear to overheat the LED.
(I have a lathe, I'll be able to make a heatsink that fits in the tube.)

I've seen some of you guys using some kind of PVC piping to convert a 2D to a 3C, but I could't find clear specs for the pipe (inner/outer diameter). This solution would be my backup plan if I don't find a driver for 2D.

any help or info is welcome.
Thanks,
Johan

jspeybro

Enlightened
Hi norm,

Thanks for the tip. I really tried searching for sollutions, and that's how I encountered the 3C alternative, but apparently the magic word was 'mag2D' in one word... I'm still learning the flashlight language apparently.

Thanks,
Johan

jspeybro

Enlightened
looks like C and D-cells are not really good ad giving more than 1A. Should I reconsider using an XML? Maybe use an XPG instead?