Float Tanks

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, these things are the exact opposite of what us flashlight junkies find interesting.
NO LIGHT. ( including No sound, or other physical sensations).
The new term for them is Restricted Environmental Stimulus Tanks ( or Therapy). The creepy old name is Sensory Deprivation Tanks.

Has anyone else tried a FLOAT session?
Curious as to your exprerience or if you have ever heard of these being commercially available.

This is one "Centre" where they have 4 tanks currently. These guys are 6 hours from home, so not likely I will drive back down there.
http://floathq.com/

Yes I have tried FLOATING. For me it was an amazing experience. The "after glow" of feeling great lasted many days after.
It would be something I would do on a regular basis, even if it were just for the stress relief.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Sounds pretty neat, if you're into that sort of thing. This reminded me of the movie Altered States. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do. Not trying to scare you though. I loved the movie myself.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a Tom Clancy(?) book called "The Cardinal of the Kremlin" where the KGB used a sensory deprivation tank as a torture/brainwashing technique. They put a woman in the tank with noise canceling headphones and a thick wetsuit so she couldn't hear, feel, or see anything, and eventually she went stark raving mad from the total lack of sensory input. Don't know if that would really happen or not but it was kinda creepy anyway :D

nbp

Flashaholic
Neat idea. So a company finally figured out how to get people to pay money for literally *nothing*. Haha. ;)

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
nhp funny you mention that. The guys in Portland use that in their advertising. Nothing.

Things like "get your wife NOTHING for Valentines day"
Avoid the Void.
Come and experience NOTHING

Then my Favourite in the local newspaper FECK GRAVITY

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend late friend John Lilly invented what was called the isolation tank in 1954.
...try it for 8 hours on LSD sometime... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Lilly

Wow, very cool you were friends with John.
I was lucky enough to meet his friends/partners Glenn & Lee Perry about a month ago. Very interesting people.
Yes I am familiary with John's research & writing. :)

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I looked up Glenn Perry and from among the surgeon, the photographer, the astrologer, and the chairman of the SEC, I'm going to guess you mean the astrologer! ;)
Yep, a wild and crazy guy. ;)

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not looked up Glenn, but from the stories was telling, he worked early on in the computer field, and (forgive my memory), was one of the first to use the "internet" as he told a story about his office (Xerox) trying to login over phone lines to a University computer. He would send an L, then over the phone confirm the received the instruction, then an O, Confirm, G - Crash, start again.
Glenn & Lee manufactured tanks for John, the Samadhi Tank Company in Ca.

http://www.samadhitank.com/history.html

lightdelight

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting, and I would certainly pay a visit were a facility closer. It doesn't take long for your mind to fill in the voids. My experiences in sensory deprived environments are my most profound memories (that I can consciously remember). And the prices are reasonable there too. If you have the space it is possible to build your own.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Launch, thats why in the early days, it was easier to keep your computers in a semi truck and drive them around where ever they wanted to go!