PA20 not changing modes?

Taylor442

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, just got a PA20 in the mail, out of the box the light doesn't seem to change into user mode when twisting the head, i read reviews on here before buying it, and honestly went for it due to price. This is my first non disposable light other then my headlamp, it seems like when rapidly pressing the tail button it wants to go into the user modes, strobe and lower levels but wont turn on in anything other then turbo.

Is it possible i got a refurb with issues? it was an ebay purchase from a reputable store with a return policy just thought i would check with the pros before i spend money to return it, or just live with turbo on always. Tried with both enloops and normal duracells, its also possible i'm not smart enough to work it.

here is what happens, when i loosen the head and slightly press the tail it will flash a lighter mode then go to turbo, then i try again it sometimes flashes a strobe for just a second then turbo again, i also recalled from a review the guy was able to enter user defined with the light on in tact, and turned the head while still on and it clearly changed modes, mine just stays turbo.

any thoughts?

thanks in advance

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesn't sound right, sounds like your light is going into overdrive but could be something else too.
I'd suggest before you contact the reseller for return, you try at least to change the batteries and try again.
You might also to try to clean the threads and ensure that both the head and tailcap are fully tightened.

Taylor442

Newly Enlightened
That doesn't sound right, sounds like your light is going into overdrive but could be something else too.
I'd suggest before you contact the reseller for return, you try at least to change the batteries and try again.
You might also to try to clean the threads and ensure that both the head and tailcap are fully tightened.

Charging up another set of enloops to make sure, I thought it might be my batteries first so I tried new from the box Duracell, do I just wipe the threads with a damp cloth? Sorry I'm terribly new

Taylor442

Newly Enlightened
Tried some other batteries, and wiped it down with a clean cloth, same thing, is this a case of you get what you pay for? Always on turbo doesn't sound terrible, always on low would be worse i guess.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to be sure, are you talking about a JetBeam PA20 or another PA20?
In any case, you should get it replaced no problem: even if you got it on sale, it's supposed to work. Seriously send it back.

Taylor442

Newly Enlightened
Yes jetbeam, eBay store says its new and I have to deal with jetbeam. Cursing myself for buying a starter light to see what lumens mean in the real world for my life, should have just gone right to a higher end light.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is the ebay store based?
It looks like they sold you a light that does not work properly and you just bought it so you shouldn't deal with JetBeam, they should replace it or refund you completely after you send the light back.
If the light really only goes on Turbo, they basically sold you an item that does not match the item description (unless they specified the fault on ebay). If you paid using Paypal, you can open a case to get your money back.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry to hear about that problem. there are several 'CPF approved" vendors who sell jetbeam along with outstanding customer service here in the USA. I like ebay as well, yet buy my lights from BattJunct, IlluminationGear, 4Sevens, illuninationsupply, lighthound, shingingbeam, eliteLED, PTS etc.

wjv

Enlightened
- Open a complaint with Paypal/eBay

- Nothing wrong with JetBeam. You got a bad one. Doesn't mean JetBeams are garbage. I just paid $70 for a Fenix that was defective. It happens.

- Don't buy off of eBay. Stick to the dealers tsask mentioned, or even some of the brick & mortar places like REI & Sears. They will replace/refund without any hassles.

Taylor442

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, sending it back. Will try a CFP vendor next time like I should have in the first place.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Thanks guys, sending it back. Will try a CFP vendor next time like I should have in the first place.

Well.. I've never heard any horror stories about Jetbeam, so I think you will just be in the dark for a week or two.

But if in the future, if you want to test lumens, lowes and walmart sell lights with the "try me" packages.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard any horror stories about JetBeam either but they seem to expect customers to buy their lights and do the beta-testing for them too - paying!
See the UI glitch in the PA/PC series - these could have been great lights with minimal quality control before being released but why delay the release of product if can get paying customers to do the quality control for you?