my power outage from sandy only lasted one night

bouncer33441

Newly Enlightened
im a little upset , and was hoping it would last at least a few days . i was ready to go . we had eight lights in the house and an abundance of charged batteries . 1 spark cw 800 lumen , 1 modified surefire c2 centurion , 1 fenix tk15 , 1 powertac cadet , 1 surefire g2 with a14 extention , 1 streamlight strion led , 1 3d incandescent maglite , and 1 older 2d flashlight . i had 2 rcr 123 bateries , 6d cell batteries , and 9 18650 rechargeable batteries on hand . this would have been my 1st opportunity to really put them all to the test , but it did not work out . i can only hope another storm hits real soon .

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would have been my 1st opportunity to really put them all to the test , but it did not work out . i can only hope another storm hits real soon .

If you live in your own house, flip the breaker off. Instant power outage! If you don't live in your own house, ask nicely or check out other parts of town that are dimmer. If you're hoping to experience 'wandering the streets with no power,' then don't, because that's not very smart in a real power outage. Please don't wish for widespread misfortune just to play with toys!

I have lots of lights. But the one I use daily? A mini mag LED 2xAA (Now upgraded to MM Pro). It's in the work rotation and does well enough there. When I want to pretend the power is out, I just turn off all the lights and play out in the yard. Then I come inside and have hot chocolate -- another good reason for fake outages.

PhillyRube

Enlightened
Charged up my 12v SLA packs, topped off 20 18650 cells to my other lights.......only had a 2 hour outage during the day Sunday.

bouncer33441

Newly Enlightened
im not wishing disaster on anyone and i feel bad for the loses people suffered . with that said its hard to just fake power outages and play with bright lights in the street where the area is densely populated . i live in the manayunk section of philadelphia .

Larbo

Enlightened
Been 2 1/2 days so far without power here in west central NJ, and looks like it will be 3 or 4 more days.
Most used lights are the small camping lanterns and lights with a low output for inside the house.
So far I have had to top off a few 123s and 1 18650. I have more lights and batteries then I will ever need plus a generator for heat and keeping food cold is a plus.
Its strange looking down the street and seeing "dark". But a blast from my L35 or TN11 sure brightens this up.
Everyone stay safe.

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
power gone since monday, 2 house are out, all my fenix's are in use, my generators even more. power out for another week

its kewl at first but gets old when its raining and 35 degree's

also lost a roof, i like power outages not actual damage though, we were lucky could have been much worse

Quiksilver

Enlightened
im a little upset , and was hoping it would last at least a few days . i was ready to go . we had eight lights in the house and an abundance of charged batteries . 1 spark cw 800 lumen , 1 modified surefire c2 centurion , 1 fenix tk15 , 1 powertac cadet , 1 surefire g2 with a14 extention , 1 streamlight strion led , 1 3d incandescent maglite , and 1 older 2d flashlight . i had 2 rcr 123 bateries , 6d cell batteries , and 9 18650 rechargeable batteries on hand . this would have been my 1st opportunity to really put them all to the test , but it did not work out . i can only hope another storm hits real soon .

thats all the batteries you had?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you live in your own house, flip the breaker off. Instant power outage! If you don't live in your own house, ask nicely or check out other parts of town that are dimmer. If you're hoping to experience 'wandering the streets with no power,' then don't, because that's not very smart in a real power outage. Please don't wish for widespread misfortune just to play with toys!

I have lots of lights. But the one I use daily? A mini mag LED 2xAA (Now upgraded to MM Pro). It's in the work rotation and does well enough there. When I want to pretend the power is out, I just turn off all the lights and play out in the yard. Then I come inside and have hot chocolate -- another good reason for fake outages.

Exasperation builds on Day 3 in storm-stricken NYC
http://news.yahoo.com/exasperation-builds-day-3-storm-stricken-nyc-202314418.html

"It's dirty, and it's getting a little crazy down there," said Michael Tomeo, who boarded a bus to Philadelphia with his 4-year-old son. "It just feels like you wouldn't want to be out at night. Everything's pitch dark. I'm tired of it, big-time."

"We had three guys sitting out in the lobby last night with candlelight, and very threatening folks were passing by in the pitch black," she said. "And everyone's leaving. That makes it worse."

2mfnchx.jpg

3479tso.jpg

:D

Last edited:

american lockpicker

Enlightened
I've only had light snow and rain here, power has stayed on. That said the event was a good reminder to get more lights just in case so I ordered a couple AAA lights today and yesterday(I have a ton of AAA batterys on hand...)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I just love this part of the article :rolleyes:

"Bridges into the city were open, but police enforced a carpooling rule and peered into windows to make sure each car had at least three people. The rule was meant to ease congestion but appeared to worsen it. Traffic jams stretched for miles, and drivers who made it into the city reported that some people got out of their cars to argue with police."

So the police had nothing better to do than enforce a carpooling mandate I suppose?!?! Facepalm x10 :ohgeez:

Latest posts