L4 story

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Last night I was working on my wife's Suburban. The radiator had a small crack in a place I couldn't see. It's plastic so I figured I could repair it myself.
I used two lights, a Scorpion and an L4. I used two so that I could alternate between them and keep the heat down. Of course I could have used one of my plug-in lights but why would I, this is what we do! Both had used batteries in different states of discharge. I used the Scorpion more because I could hold it in my mouth without chipping my teeth. After a period of time the Scorpion became quite dim so I switched to the L4. I immediately thought to myself, "wow, that's white". I ran the L4 until it lost regulation. Now the cool part...I took the old batteries out of the Scorpion and put them in the L4 because I was nearly done. I was able to use the L4 at full brightness for 7-10 more minutes. It was still running fine when I finished. I meant to replace both sets of batteries last night but got busy with other task. I just retested the L4 and even with the old worn out Scorpion batteries she is still running in regulation.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... nice story. I wonder how dead the L4 leaves 123's when it's done with them? Anyone know if they still provide useful light in an ARC? (sorry if this is too far off topic)

-Mike

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xrunner,

I can get 5 or 10 minutes out of depleted 123s from my L4 in my Arc LS, if I take them out immediately upon loss of regulation.

Paul

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Damn, I guess the Arc LS is the Marine Corps of torches.

Once the Air Force gets done they give it to the Navy and when they have exhausted all use it goes to the Corps and the Corps is thrilled to have it.