Is your spouse, partner etc a closet flashaholic?

jamesbeat

Newly Enlightened
​​

My wife is constantly critical of my hobbies. Not in an active way, but in a passive way.
She doesn't share my enthusiasm for, say, Star Trek prop replicas (few people do...) and I totally get that. There are not many people who would understand the months of work I put into making an exact replica of a Trek communicator.

Thing is, she loves flashlights!

She'd never admit it though.

Here's what happens: she will complain about me spending money on flashlights, chargers, batteries etc, and roll her eyes when I talk about them, but every time I get a new flashlight, it has to pass her 'test' first.
When a new light arrives in the mail, she grabs it off me, inspects it, and if she likes it, she keeps it :(
It doesn't happen often, but I find myself losing flashlights all the time.
I was looking for a favorite of mine today, the Hugsby P2. Only a cheapie, but I really like this light and I wanted to play around with it.
I asked my wife (the last person who had seen it alive) and she admitted to 'borrowing' it, and I just spent the last hour trying to retrieve her old pocket books out of closets and hunt through them to find my light (to no avail :()

I wouldn't mind one bit if she just admitted that she has a problem, and that she's just as much of a flashaholic as I am, but she stubbornly denies it.

When I perform an upgrade for her, it is evident that it is very important to her that her light is at least as bright, if not brighter than my brightest light.

Does anyone else have this problem with a loved one?
Should I do an intervention? :D

jamesbeat

Newly Enlightened
Yes of course it is (this thread is very much intended as a light hearted tongue in cheek one).
My wife is awesome and very tolerant of my bizarre hobbies, but the flashlight addiction is the only one she can really empathize with.

I just wish she'd admit it :D

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes of course it is (this thread is very much intended as a light hearted tongue in cheek one).
My wife is awesome and very tolerant of my bizarre hobbies, but the flashlight addiction is the only one she can really empathize with.

I just wish she'd admit it :D

:laughing: i definitely got some chuckles reading through your original post...
find out what types of lights see likes and get her her own set of lights, that way she will prefer her lights more, and stop stealing your lights hehhe

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife a closet flashaholic? Never in a million years. She uses my lights when she needs to use one, but, she absolutely doesn't understand my infatuation with them. She'd actually yell at me if she grabbed one of my brighter lights and blinded herself with it, though, and would not know how to change the modes to make the light dimmer. For this reason I don't leave any of my brighter lights out.

My children, though, are closet flashaholics. When my daughter was preparing to go to outdoor-ed (week long "camping" trip that her school does every year) I asked her what flashlight she was going to bring and she reminded me of me when I had to make similar decisions about size vs output vs run time vs portability, etc. Fun stuff. My son tends to grab brighter lights for doing menial tasks that require a flashlight where a dimmer light would have been more than sufficient.

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
My wife tolerates my flashlight obsession quietly. While she has zero understanding why I am obsessed with lights, and why my collection continues to grow (why do i need more than one!?), she avoids giving me too hard of a time about it which I appreciate.