Thinner anodizing on LS's than AAA's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinner anodizing on LS\'s than AAA\'s ?

Just wondering here, I've purchased 6 AAA's and two LS's both of the LS's had what appears to be thinner anodizing. Is that consistant with your purchases? That the AAA's have a much thicker appearing anodizing? If so I wonder why and if so does the finish wear any faster?

GregR

Mattman

Enlightened
Re: Thinner anodizing on LS\'s than AAA\'s ?

I can't really say if it's thinner or thicker or what, but it is definitely different. The two AAA's I've purchased are no-gloss and my LSH-P and AA are much more like nice lacquer finish is on furniture. I probably will never be able to comment on the wear since I'm keeping the LSH-P pretty much like new - the AAA's my EDC.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

what's with the glossier finish on the arc LS? it was something i noticed as well.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can agree with the observation that they are different feeling. Anodising tends to amplify any surface features or defects. It was my impression that the LS, being a more expensive light, simply went through a polishing stage prior to anodising that the AAA did not. So the result was a smoother surface.

I think I would actually like an LS that looked more like the AAA though. The matt finish is very nice and I like the way it feels.

Of course, thats just conjecture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't really know what the manufacturing steps are to create the lights.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

The process and tanks used are pretty much the same for all of our lights. The difference is the size of the surfaces, machining texture, etc.

HA also gets more polished as it is used.

Peter

Mattman

Enlightened

Thanks for the info, Peter. I guess it's just the initial level of finish on the aluminum that makes the LS and AA shiny on the non-knurled surfaces.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do like the "lacquer look" of the LS, but it doesn't look as thick or durable as my AAA's.

The LS I just received on Monday is odd, on one side it looks so thin as I can see silver striations through the greenish coating. I'll compare that to the fraen optics LS I just ordered.

GregR

Status
Not open for further replies.