Flashlight to the rescue! Noisy people lining up for gas...

jamesbeat

Newly Enlightened
I live in NY, and as most of you are probably aware, there is a gas shortage.
People have been lined up outside my house, sitting in their cars since at least 6am waiting for the nearby gas station to get a delivery.
The line stretches two blocks, and then makes a left turn with cars as far as I can see down a side road.

I don't know if it's boredom, desperation or what, but they all seem pretty angry.

Some of these people seem to think that beeping their horns will magically make the line go faster, and my two year old daughter is trying to sleep.

There have also been a few heated arguments, and also people walking down to the gas station and yelling an update report to their friends and spouses who stayed in the car.

This is a downright inconsiderate thing to do in a residential area, and while I sympathize with their plight, I am in no mood for their pointless horn blowing and yelling, so I tried a little experiment :D

I found that shining a powerful flashlight at them stops them from sounding their horns and shouting.
A quick sweep across the line to find out who the offender is, and then lighting that person up like daylight seems to stop them in their tracks.

I suppose most of them are decent folk, and lighting up the interior of their car reminds them that they shouldn't be doing what they are doing.
Whatever the reason, they don't seem anywhere near as bold when they know that they have been singled out and are being watched.
As soon as they stop, so do I :D

(I should also note that I picked my angle very carefully to ensure that I don't dazzle any people in moving cars or shine my light into the windows of houses across the street.)

Last edited:

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
Never understood idiots beeping thier horns when there is nothing that can be acomplised by it?:shakehead

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
What kind of light did you use to blast -em? I live in westchester, and the gas line are crazy. In yonkers theres cops at every gas station to keep those animals in check.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's a proper use of a thrower if I've ever heard one...

I'm just over the border in CT and it's gotten really bad here too... with all of the traffic jams and waiting lines, it now seems like people are collectively burning more gas idling than they're actually pumping.

ico

Enlightened
Never understood idiots beeping thier horns when there is nothing that can be acomplised by it?:shakehead

Its like those people who keep on pressing the buttons while waiting for the elevator to come :shakehead

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Be careful OP.

With their unprepared tempers on edge, who knows what meds theyre on (or NOT on!), they may decide to take out their frustration on the person who just blinded them with 500+ lumens.

I would certainly not do so from my own residence, given what you've described to us.

jamesbeat

Newly Enlightened
That did occur to me, but I wasn't too worrried about it.
There was a cop car patroling the line, and there were just too many people around for someone to get away with it.
We live in an upstairs apartment, so they would have had to get through two locked doors and six rounds of 00 buckshot before they could have done any harm.
I didn't see any Terminators in the line :D

The flashlight was nothing special, Hugsby P2.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
That did occur to me, but I wasn't too worrried about it.
There was a cop car patroling the line, and there were just too many people around for someone to get away with it.
We live in an upstairs apartment, so they would have had to get through two locked doors and six rounds of 00 buckshot before they could have done any harm.
I didn't see any Terminators in the line :D

The flashlight was nothing special, Hugsby P2.

stay safe

ragweed

Enlightened
People can turn ugly when frustrated so be careful! Can you imagine if it had been a Nuke instead?

fyrstormer

Banned
People can turn ugly when frustrated so be careful! Can you imagine if it had been a Nuke instead?
Let's not bother imagining that particular scenario, mkay? Suffice it to say, if you survived, you would be entitled to do anything and everything you deem necessary to continue surviving.

jamesbeat

Newly Enlightened
Thankfully the station has run out of gas and people are going elsewhere now.
Having a big long line of cars full of irate drivers parked outside your house is not a pleasant thing :(

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
No one is "entitled " to do anything and everything they deem necessary to survive...and I doubt that honking horns and acting like asses will help them survive. But be careful jamesbeat and all others involved.

fyrstormer

Banned
No one is "entitled " to do anything and everything they deem necessary to survive...and I doubt that honking horns and acting like asses will help them survive. But be careful jamesbeat and all others involved.
Congratulations on completely failing to comprehend my post.

Last edited:

passive101

Enlightened
I'm glad to hear the cars are heading off. I bet the cars leave quickly if you fire off a few magazines of Blanks :poof:

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Let's not bother imagining that particular scenario, mkay? Suffice it to say, if you survived, you would be entitled to do anything and everything you deem necessary to continue surviving.

is that the rabbit hole discussion where people justify attacking/killing neighbors to sustain their (families) lives?

ragweed

Enlightened
My point was just look at what Sandy & Katrina did. Look at how everything is brought to a standstill. I feel sorry for all those people! No electric,food,clothing,gas,water etc... I hope they are getting supplies to them today!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they are getting supplies to them today!

And I hope that the people who went without will, next month, secure supplies for next time. The "They" that you refer to as getting supplies can only do so much (Whether it's Nike, the Red Cross, the State, Government, or neighbors).

ragweed

Enlightened
Actually I heard the Red Cross is dropping the ball there! Maybe they will step up soon!