4Sevens Maelstrom MM-X vs. X7

gothed

Newly Enlightened
I had a couple of questions about the Maelstrom MM-X.

1. Are there difference between the Maelstrom X7 and the MM-X? or are they identical?
2. How does the throw of the MM-X/X7 compare to that of the quark 1232 and the quark turbo 1232? I imagine the throw will be better then the quark 1232 but worse then the turbo?

I could not find any details on the MM-X vs. X7 issue, nor could I find side by side beam-shots of the Turbo vs. the MM-X, so I figure I would lean on every-bodies experience.

Thanks

LEDburn

Enlightened
Pretty sure it's the same - the names changed when they underwent a rebranding recently.

As for throw, it should eclipse both the 123-2 and 123-2 Turbo in output and throw and should be a tad better than the turbo X but have very similar output.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
Pretty sure it's the same - the names changed when they underwent a rebranding recently.

As for throw, it should eclipse both the 123-2 and 123-2 Turbo in output and throw and should be a tad better than the turbo X but have very similar output.

1. Thank you to clear that up.

2. I was not clear. I meant to compare the quark 123-2 XM-L, and the quark trubo 123-2 XM-L with the Maelstrom X7, also XM-L. It sounds like from your response that the Turbo X and the X7 are very closely matched. Yes?

if you want to see outdoor beam shots look up goingprepared on youtube. He has all those lights

I looked those up already, but at first I thought that he used different cameras during the review of the two lights. But then I found his "mega" review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM2z51T7OzQ&list=PL5DCCDFBD44A19BCB&index=27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBZbVsa3Rgc&list=PL5DCCDFBD44A19BCB&index=25

Defiantly using the same camera/set up. In this case the Turbo X seems alot brighter everywhere, more spill and a brighter hot spot. This does not make sense as the specs on the maelstrom (470) state a higher output then the Thurbo X (450). It was exactly these videos that had me second guessing the maelstrom. Am I missing something or is the Turbo X just brighter?

- thanks

weez82

Enlightened
Higher lumens doesnt = more throw. The Turbo X and Maelstrom X7 might be using different reflectors. Hard to say as I dont have the X7. But those vids showed very similar beams and throw. So close that I would call it a tie. If you're looking at getting one of these, look at the UI and features

gothed

Newly Enlightened
Higher lumens doesnt = more throw. The Turbo X and Maelstrom X7 might be using different reflectors. Hard to say as I dont have the X7. But those vids showed very similar beams and throw. So close that I would call it a tie. If you're looking at getting one of these, look at the UI and features

Thank You. I suppose I am inexperienced at interpreting beam shots, as that did look significant to me. Anyways I went ahead and got the X7. It seemed sturdier and I like the UI and form factor better. Plus a killer deal on old 4sevens logo lights.

LEDburn

Enlightened
1. Thank you to clear that up.

2. I was not clear. I meant to compare the quark 123-2 XM-L, and the quark trubo 123-2 XM-L with the Maelstrom X7, also XM-L. It sounds like from your response that the Turbo X and the X7 are very closely matched. Yes?

I don't actually know, I prefer the UI of the Turbo over X7 which is the sole reason I chose it, the difference in output doesn't bother me.
I just figured the X7 would have better throw, this may or may not be true.

As a side note, I also have an S12 that runs direct drive - I burnt in the LED so it should produce more output than stock - and the Turbo X (mine's a neutral too btw) is a very close competitor in throw but nowhere near as floody. For me it's a much more preferable size and battery choice so it sees more use even though lumens are half and has less spill. Hotspots seem very close in brightness too - the S12's possibly being a bit larger, but I haven't compared the two in a while.

Just saying that there's a lot of things that come into play than output alone..emitter size, brightness per sq mm and reflector shape (depth and width!!) are a couple.

Last edited:

byaah_19

Newly Enlightened
I am debating buying either the Maelstrom MM-X or the Quark Turbo QB2L-X. I would rather have more throw, so that is my deciding factor.I can really tell from the videos, but in my opinion the Quark Turbo seems to have the Maelstrom on that. Can anyone say for sure which one has more throw?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want better throw in a light in the same size. Then buy the Armytek Predator X, XM-L2. There are different versions, but you can buy it from HK Equipment flashlight.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Not sure how much it helps, but I own the Maelstrom S12 and Quark Turbo X 123x2. The quark I've tested at about 11.2K in throw, and the S12 a bit more at 13.6k in throw. Both are nice lights. Better UI and throw in the turbo X, better flood and fatter spot with the S12.