INFORMAL SURVEY: What do you think about lights that aren't BLACK??

dxcom

Newly Enlightened
So, I am wondering. What do you guys think of flashlights that are colors other than standard BLACK. There are a lot of other colors out there now and some I like a lot (grey/gunmetal) while others I don't care for as much (gold?) Do certain colors make a light seem more 'serious' or seem to suggest a quality?

Just wondering what others think.

J

DealExtreme

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
Well, titanium comes to mind. Everyone likes Ti. Copper is good too.

pizza8guy888

Newly Enlightened
I agree that the color portrays a certain feeling of quality. I myself tend to like darker finishes or semi metallic. Anything bright I shy away from. To me it makes me feel like I have a kids toy instead of a tool for working or tactical uses. Then again we are only talking about flashlights here. lol.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to find a purple side switch light for a woman. No luck. All the purple lights were one mode twist keychain style except for a huge Maglight. We need more color options other than just keychain lights with different colors.

Ishango

Enlightened
Besides the obvious Ti, copper and even stainless steel lights (I don't own the first two yet, but do like them), I think the color does suggest the seriousness of a light. i.e. A pink colored Surefire/HDS Clicky or Haiku would look kinda weird, but a cerakoted orange Surefire/ Clicky would look more like a though survival/rescue light.

I personally prefer my lights in neutral colors (black, grey, semi-metallic or the previous mentioned Ti, Copper or stainless steel). A nice cerakoted white or orange light would also be nice. I'm more interested in the beam pattern, output, runtime and UI then in bright colors.

I do own a Thrunite Ti in red (almost pink in certain light conditions) and blue. Both nice lights, but the feel is a bit different, though for keychain/EDC backup purpose I kinda like it. My girlfriend however has a purple E05 and a green Ti, because she is more into looks over purpose (though she does admit the lights are useful).

Quiksilver

Enlightened
black, titanium gray or just unpainted/unfinished.

I can see the utility in having a bright colored one like orange or even glow in the dark.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends on the use you need to put the light to.

In tactical and hunting scenarios, then black or dark grey and no bare stainless bezels etc to keep reflections down when the light is off.

In most other situations, it is helpful if the light is easily seen (when it is off of course), so there are arguments for all sorts of bright colours (this is cheaper than fitting trits).

Personally I find all black of dark lights gets a bit boring. Variety is the spice of life.

One last factor is getting your girlfriend or wife (or both is you are bad) to carry a good light - in general it seems that pretty colours attract female eyes and make it easier to persuade them of the benefits of carrying the light ;-)

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
My wife didn't carry a light until I got a red Ti. I agree, more pink than red, but that's why I picked it up. She's less likely to carry a black one.

yliu

Enlightened
In my opinion, flashlights with darker finishes tends to be less 'flashy' and attract less attention.

While shiny, Ti lights tend to be the ones that are meant to attract attention like a piece of jewelry.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like black colored lights for most uses and silver for some, but there are exceptions. The olive drab type color of Surefire lights is attractive. The bright yellow color of the plastic Streamlight 4AA Luxeon Polypro is great because it is easier to see the flashlight outdoors during rain storms.

Not interested in red or blue colored flashlights per se.

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
I have a 2AA tekna-lite 2 in a very pleasing, subdued orange, that I like a lot (I replaced the bulb with an led).

I normally prefer black, but some quiet oranges and yellows would be nice, and helpful for backpacking lights.

dougie

Enlightened
Call me old fashioned but to me black is THE color for flashlights used by LEO's, yellow for EMS and fire and the gray/green type anodised lights are good for the military. When it comes to civilian lights anything goes? I guess this means that you could say I'm more of a conservative type of flashlight user...lol! :laughing:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
In most other situations, it is helpful if the light is easily seen (when it is off of course), so there are arguments for all sorts of bright colours (this is cheaper than fitting trits).

I find black objects to be extremely visible under most conditions. I could take a picture of my Zebralight and my Quark in a yard at dusk, but you'd only see one of them...

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Years ago I used to pick up Maglights all the time just to get a new color... I would love it if companies did more colors.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally prefer black, gray or silver. However, I have lots of Mag Lites, that are modded, and having different colored bodies helps me tell them apart without having to turn them on, or peer into the head to see which LED it has.

silver_bacon

Newly Enlightened
I am a big fan of brass lights and the color of brass itself. If it were not for the tarnishing I would have more.

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
I really like them. I love the various cerakote colors and really enjoy the looks of my safety orange and pearl white Oveready 6Ps.

I also prefer 'natural' hard anodizing over the black variety. Not just Surefire's version of it, but even more so the really dark brown/green anodizing seen on Oveready's 'steampunk' type lights. I wish that sort of no-compromise HA was more commonly found.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
It depends on the color. I'm usually not a big fan of lights that have a high sheen polish to them, with a couple exceptions here or there. I am fairly utilitarian and treat my lights more like tools than collectors items. I like them to reflect the fact that they are tools. Solid, natural tones with a matte finish and maybe even some dark accenting. It could be gray, green, tan, or black. If it looks serious and not like a toy, then I happy.