Is it safe for my torch ( cleaning )

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi there, firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong forum area.

I have some medical instrument wipes to clean the insides of my PD32, even the contacts if it helps.

on the sachet it states the 70% v/v ISOPROPYL which is fine, but there is something else at 2% w/v named CHLORHEXIDINE GLUCONATE.

will this still be alright to wipe the bits/threads inside the torch?.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorhexidine
Thanks Everyone.

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
I don't see any reason why it would damage the metal parts.
You can wipe it with that substance, and then with water and wipe it dry.

You shouldn't really worry about rusting if you keep the metal parts dry and clean.

I don't really see the purpose of using these chemicals, I simply use soap and it works well in removing all the stuff from threads.

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
As you are probably aware Chlorhexidene is an antibacterial preparation commonly used in mouthwash. It is not harmful to anodised aluminium and can be used without undue concern. However, whilst alcohol wipes are unlikely to damage the torch itself they potentially could/might cause damage to the O rings. I personally wouldn't worry about using them on the body of the light or the contacts but wouldn't use them near other components.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
also soap and water for the contacts?...
like wiping over them.

I don't see any reason why it would damage the metal parts.
You can wipe it with that substance, and then with water and wipe it dry.

You shouldn't really worry about rusting if you keep the metal parts dry and clean.

I don't really see the purpose of using these chemicals, I simply use soap and it works well in removing all the stuff from threads.

nbp

Flashaholic
Seems a bit overkill to use antiseptic wipes to clean the inside of a flashlight, though it shouldn't do any damage to the metal. For the threads, I usually just clean them up with a scrap of old t-shirt and maybe a toothpick if there is some stuck on gunk and then re-lube. A pencil eraser works well for getting the oxidation off the contacts. If you must use chemicals, a lot of members like Deoxit for contacts and springs.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, I mean look at this FENIX clean........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxuCB1XCn4

Seems a bit overkill to use antiseptic wipes to clean the inside of a flashlight, though it shouldn't do any damage to the metal. For the threads, I usually just clean them up with a scrap of old t-shirt and maybe a toothpick if there is some stuck on gunk and then re-lube. A pencil eraser works well for getting the oxidation off the contacts. If you must use chemicals, a lot of members like Deoxit for contacts and springs.

tam17

Enlightened
I usually just clean them up with a scrap of old t-shirt and maybe a toothpick if there is some stuck on gunk and then re-lube.

+1 here, plus some ethyl alcohol or acetone for persistent gunk.

Silicone grease for o-rings, Teslanol T6 spray for switch contacts and basically that's all "flashlight cosmetics" I use.

Cheers