The MSC20 – A Real World Review

LedTed

Enlightened
The MSC20 – A Real World Review
I have broken this long and subjective review into sections; allowing readers the option to skip to sections in this assessment they may wish to read.

BACKGROUND
For a brief time, I had a Zebralight SC600. I enjoyed both the intense beam from light and amazed look I got from others when I used the tiny powerhouse. One time, my youngest nephew checked out the SC600 and in an instant temporarily blinded an entire room full of people; who all reacted at that same moment impromptu and in unison – funny lesson learned. Per the switching mechanism, I prefer rear clickies, and never front twisties. Again, I enjoyed the light, I just couldn't get used to the location of the switch. So, I ended up selling the Zebralight on CPF marketplace.
As soon as I sold the little Zebralight, I missed the astounding amount of light that I once had instantly available to me; and with only a press of a button. So I decided to get a ShinningBeam S-mini. I now had the clickie I so desired. But, maybe due to the fact that I decided to get the XP-G R5 version, I soon found myself again missing the amount of light I could seemingly almost magically get from the Zebralight.
I could no longer stand my longing to have the seeming rays of the sun stowed in my pocket and ready to shine. I therefore decided to get a NitEye MSC20.

INTRODUCTION
Although "candle lamp" did a very good review of a MSC20 mockup on CPF. I really couldn't get a great understanding of the operation of the production flashlight. If you want to know more technical specifications about the flashlight, I recommend that you click the links at the bottom of this review.
This LED light, hopefully, seemed to have every function I wanted. Unfortunately, what I truly wanted was a never produced NiteCore D12 with: 18650 Battery Support, Smart Piston, and XM-L U3 LED. In all honesty, this new LED flashlight from NitEye / JetBeam (AKA: SYSMAX = IE NiteCore) seemed the next best thing.

FEATURES
I believe that the M and S in MSC20 stand for Military and Series, respectively. However, as printing on the flashlight itself titles the light Military Solder Series, I may be wrong.
For me, the MSC20 with its: rear mounted Magnetic Ring / Soft-switch combination, 18650 compatible body, and XM-L U2 LED all seemed a hopeful and potent combination. Although my new LED light's sturdy and resilient reversible Pocket Clip cannot provide deep-carry, it has one. And, the light can tail-stand as well. These are two big plusses in my book!
I discovered that the Magnetic Ring will not only change modes from: Strobe, Off, Adjustable, and High – detent positions; but will also turn these modes On when selected. Once selected with the Ring, turning the various functions On and Off may also be performed via Clicking the On / Off soft-switch. With the Ring turned or returned to the Off position, a Battery Indicator LED will softly shine for about ten seconds; GREEN for GOOD and RED for BAD. The indicator also glows for about ten seconds when the tail switch assembly is reinstalled after first inserting a battery and the Ring is in the Off position.
With the Ring at the Adjustable position and while Holding the On / Off Button, the light's output will rapidly ramp Up or Down; opposite the previous direction. Both the ramp Up and Down take about three seconds – a little too quickly for my preference.

REVIEW
I have only owned the LED light for about a week, but that has been plenty of time for me to confirm my fear that both the Magnetic Ring and the On/Off Switch can too easily be activated; leading to accidental activations.
I required the use of my new light to aid me while making a repair to a light fixture. The simple act of putting the light into my jacket pocket half-clicked the ring over to the High position. This was enough to turn the flashlight On High. By the time it took me to make the short sixty second trip out to my garage and the broken lamp, I could barely but positively discern the heat from the full running LED through my jacket. I removed the light from my pocket and turned it back Off with use of the On / Off Button. I then more carefully placed the flashlight back into my jacket pocket; as to free my hands.
I used both hands to hold on to a ladder as I climbed, then while at the top, merely bumped the On / Off (too) soft-switch on the bottom of my otherwise empty pocket while retrieving the flashlight. This led to the somewhat startling event of a bright light, in my face, while I was perched atop a ladder – NOT GOOD!
It is for these two reasons above I recommend one keeps the Ring in the Off position until illumination is needed.
I use the Blue TrustFire 18650 protected battery recommended by Going Gear. Even with this good quality and freshly charged battery, I noticed the flashlight's beam flicker while I was repairing the fixture. This flickering made me curious, as the light is advertised as having a Constant Current Circuit.
After I finished my repair, I checked to see if beyond flicker, I could determine that the LED was operated by Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). Guess what I discovered? Yep, I confirmed PWM at all levels by simply waving the flashlight up and down in front of, and not into, my eyes. I emailed NitEye asking about the PWM. After a week, they have yet to respond.
The repair I performed was in a small darkened space behind a board; hence my need for a flashlight. In short, although the MSC20 is brighter than the S-mini, it did not provide the amount of light the SC600 would have.

In this next example, I did find the MSC20's highest Adjustable output more than adequate for lighting the edge of a small wooded section in which I worked a few nights later.

The light was set up kitty-corner, across the alley, and ahead of the section in which I was working. The length of the entire lit section spanned about a quarter of a city block. I'd like to note that the small trees and shrubs were only about six feet deep. The broad spot beam penetrated the inner branches and twigs; while lighting the outer ones with enough detail for me to work easily and safely. The spill beam provided ample light to illuminate the entire width of the single lane road.

I have one last example for you as well. The Magnetic Ring of the MSC20 proved generally useful this Halloween.

For the most part, I could easily click my light On to the lowest Adjustable setting to light the way for little hands into the candy bucket, and then click over to High allowing the various character owners of those hands safely down fifty feet to the sidewalk.

Again, I found the Ring too damn easy to manipulate. Two times in fifty, from the Off position, I accidentally rotated the Ring past the lowest Adjustable setting and over to High. This, of course, temporarily blinded the little trick-or-treaters who were intensely staring into the cauldron of candy. Immediately after one quick blast of light, it made me instantly sad when one little girl looked through my eyes and in to my very soul as if to ask, "Why would you do that to me"? I apologized as the tiny costumed girl ran to her dad; reporting what had just happened. The dad incorrectly explained to his little one that I had pulled a Halloween prank one her, and it was OK because it was just a part of Halloween. I apologized to the little girl again and told her that I would try not to do that again.

CONCLUSION
I must say that I find the look of this light personally very appealing. While the NitEye MSC20 is not a bad flashlight for the money, I do not recommend any of the current line-up of Magnetic Ring / Soft-switch lights from NitEye for those of use in-the-know on CPF.

It seems to me that, better-the-next-one, is the trend with many LED flashlight manufacturers these days. Perhaps later versions will be improved? I tend to think that LED flashlight manufacturers remake the new version of earlier models for the sole purpose of making us purchase multiples of very similar and only slightly improved flashlights.

TIP
I purchased a deep carry clip for the Fenix LD10 and a regular carry PD20 clip; either to be used as a hopeful improvement over the MSC20's clip. Both of the clips from Fenix directly fit on the NitEye without any modification.

Because of the Fenix LD10 clip's deep carry ability and perfect fit to the MSC20's body, this perfectly functioning replacement clip, to me, is a better clip than the one received with and originally intended for the NitEye MSC20.

LINKS
candle lamp's excellent review:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...teye-MS-Series-(mock-up-test-samples)-Review&
Fenxi: http://www.fenixgear.com/
Going Gear: http://goinggear.com/
NitEye: http://niteyelight.com/

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. You really have some very relevant thoughts, you shared. Thanks again. Looks like I won't be getting any lights of the MSC series for the time being. The lack of a decent low and of a momentary mode made me sceptical to begin with, reading that the magnetic control ring and switch turn on too easily settles it. Things like these shouldn't be, it's a shame that manufacturers put products on the market that could be better. I'll be sticking to my trusty old SWM V20A, I still like it a lot.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
funny story. bad light.
no MSC20 for me!!

( it's an ugyl light anyway imho )

ccmdfd

Newly Enlightened
i believe MS stands for "Military Soldier".

I too have had accidental activation when placing in a pocket. It's also quite easy to spin the ring past "off" and onto strobe when trying to turn off.

ppdickey

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! This review confirmed my concerns about accidental activation with the soft switch and magnetic ring, as well as the absence of the momentary on.

I'm searching for a light that can be easily managed overhanded, with guaranteed instant access (by feel) to either high and low output.

I was hopeful when I saw that the magnetic ring made it to the tailcap. But, I wouldn't be able to determine just from the feel of this torch in my hand, that a turn of the dial, or hitting the soft switch was certain to produce a blinding light in a defensive situation, or low light in a context where high output would be disruptive.

For me, the Pila GL series/Wolf Eyes Raider with LED tailcap remains the most reliable solution.