Me too! CR2 Infinity Luxeon

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Yep, me too. There's been a whole raft of killer CR2 keychain lights lately. Here's my interpretation.

Personally, I blame Kevin from batterystation. Without his killer deal on CR2s we'd all be standing around saying, "Gosh, this would be a great CR2 mod, but their just so expensive" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Thanks, Kevin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Build page is here:

http://www.myrolypoly.com/users/Flashlights/CMG_Infinity_Mod.htm

Teaser:

IMG_2236.jpg

The beam is a great flood pattern. Nothing like what you would get from an optic, but a lot like what you'd get from a McFlood...only floodier.

edit: anyone have a ballpark capacity for these CR2s? I'd love to compute a runtime for this kid.

Oh yeah, here's a funny story. So the CR2s fit, but just barely. The head actually won't screw down much past the o-ring. It was driving me crazy. Then I though, well I'll just flatten the nubs on the batteries a bit. A little hammer action later the batteries were each 0.050" shorter and the head screwed down perfectly. Then it hit me. I just MODDED batteries to fit in my MODDED light. I'm so far gone...

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cant remember the source, but i think the CR2's are around 7-800 mah.
Very nice mod btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE mod chief /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
damn, ain't that look pretty?

Hunter, It looks like chief uses DB, dunno the amperage rating though

Dan C

Enlightened
Kewl stuff for dang sure. That's a lot of horsepower in that small package. I wish I had more knowledge of electrical stuff, I could have a ball. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I read on Eveready's site that the CR2 is 800mAh....

Dan C

HunterSon

Enlightened
I thought a Downboy would be step down only, and the BadBoy would bring the 3v battery up to the vf of the Led. I'm confused.

**EDIT** Found the source of my confusion, the light is running off of 2 CR2s when I thought it was one. OOPS.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
It is a DownBoy. The light uses (2) CR2 batteries in series to yield 6V. Hence the DB.

My other hand is just as big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and it's impossible to work on these tiny things. I can't imagine doing anything smaller. So all you small handed wonders live it up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Nice job Chief! I like your heatsink too!

(Anybody else notice a CR2 feeding frenzy around here lately? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Nice mod, Chiefy! DownBoy? To 400mA? Perhaps you could build an alternate backup thrower to your flooder, with a LuxIII HD emitter and a DB700 or even (*gasp*) a DB1000(!) and turn down a Fraen optic -- I guarantee you would be lighting up the far side of the block with that...in fact make me one while you're at it!

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
lol, thanks Charlie. I thought long about that. I may have to make another one just for the heck of it. I haven't quite mastered the optic turning thing yet nor have I figured out a way to integrate a lens easily. Something to think about, though.

Sonic

Newly Enlightened
Mighty impressive mod, Chief! Your mods just keep getting better and better! Actually, I think your X5T was nicer, but this one is TINY! Keep up the great work!

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chief-Great mod! Still enjoying the heck out of the "XT5-Chieftain" mod. FYI-Flashlightlens.com will custom cut B-227 glass. You could machine a recess for a cover lens in the light I suppose to protect it and bond it in with RTV. On the otherhand,

flag5.jpg

You can use covers like these to keep your CR2 hotrod safe from pocket abuse and coin toss mayhem. The material is a soft "wetsuit" material with a soft liner. Anyway-cool mod on the CMG I-Ultra.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Ah, great idea! Right now I'm using soft nylon caps from Mcmaster. They're working out pretty good on all my 123 and cr2 lights.

UFO, anytime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We can lathe up a storm, lol.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done, Chief!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif If I may do some thread hijacking here, I just finished my R2H HD, BB400 board Infinity. I've done a DD amber HD Infinity previously. Like you (and unlike some other modders), I decided to lower the floor of the cavity (0.10", 0.45" diameter) instead of boring into the reflector area. Unlike your mod, my heat sinks are copper, 0.125" thick and I drive mine with 3v AA cells out of Duracell CR-V3 photo batteries (1500ma). The heat sink for the BB Infinity is clearanced for the inductor and the heat sinks in both lights are keyed to the heads to provide reliable grounds and thermal paths. Both lights are potted with Arctic Alumina.

As to your trials and tribulations with removing anodizing, I find the making a paste of Red Devil Lye and applying it with a Q-Tip to the targeted area make quick work of removing anodizing. A word to the wise about the alloy the CMG uses in the Infinity, its very soft. Scratches show up rapidly on the highly polished reflector surfaces and the presence of the emitter makes repolishing the reflector touchy at best. I'm currently trying to work out a lens/optic arrangement that will prevent this, but I have yet to find a solution that I'm 100% happy with. While I'm on the subject of optics, a NX-01 (yep, that's right) produces a real nice beam pattern and considerably more throw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It just doesn't fit really well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well its time for me to duck out and allow this thread to drift back to you receiving the well deserved accolades of other. Keep 'em comin', Chief!!

Dan

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips Dan! I keep looking at it and looking at it trying to figure out what exactly to do with the reflector. I thought maybe a mineral glass lens, but how to hold it in from the front? Retaining clip or something similiar?

Thanks for the lye tip. I'll have to remember that for future use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif