Fenix TK21 (468lm) or SF G2X pro (320lm)???

tango44

Enlightened
I have $100 to spend and my old TK11 needs a partner!

What do you recommend and why?

Which one is the most powerful and a better thrower?

Thank you!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you should be able to get the brand new TK22 in a couple weeks for sure (probably sooner) --- so for 100 dollars I'd get that. It should have good throw and a nice beam if the new "loss-less" light orange peel reflector does as Fenix says it will.

Honestly though I've been eyeing the newer version TK15 s2 instead of the larger coming TK22. I like the looks of the TK15 a lot and it probably has a more concentrated beam even though the lumens of the s2 are "only" 400. It also will cost you less than the TK22.

skyrider

Newly Enlightened
Yea, I'd wait for some reviews of the tk22. I'm also looking at a new 18650 light that has more power than my tk11. Still deciding between the tk22 and tk21. Tk21 has better runtimes but it isn't as bright

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I had the TK11 for a few days and returned it for the TK15 S2 light. If it means anything, I also have the PD32 S2, and this new Tk15 S2 is brighter. It has a nicer hotspot, more throw, and brighter spill beam. The new TK15 S2 also has a really white beam. I thought the PD32 S2 had a nice white beam compared to my other Fenix lights, but the new TK 15 S2 is even whiter. Gives s nice true color rendition at night!! I really did not think the TK11 was that much brighter than my PD32 S2, because the Tk11 was not as white and had a darker spill beam. This TK 15 S2 is great. I had the dealer compare the TK 15S2 with the TK 21 before I bought, and they said the TK 15 S2 put a nicer whiter beam on the wall, so I went with it. Glad I did.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Tk15 S2 is brighter. It has a nicer hotspot, more throw, and brighter spill beam. The new TK15 S2 also has a really white beam. I thought the PD32 S2 had a nice white beam compared to my other Fenix lights, but the new TK 15 S2 is even whiter. Gives s nice true color rendition at night!!

I purchased the tk15s2 and should be coming in the mail tomorrow. I needed a light exclusively for work (I work nights). I needed a light that can reach a good 150m and I first ran into the tk22. As much as it was 650lm and knowing its brute force will reach those meters, I just didn't like that it was on the larger side of a light (I like compact) and need more of a concentrated beam and not a flood light. I already have a klarus xt2c that shoots almost 500 lumens of a wide floody beam with a nice hotspot so I'm covered there.

Enter the tk15s2. Aesthetically it looks great, it's super compact, and at 400 lumens with an xpg emitter and a deep smooth reflector, it's definitely a compact thrower with a useful spill. UI is simple and it's waterproof. Can't wait!

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Also I only paid $73 for the tk15s2. My budget too was $100 which gave me enough extra change to buy a few 18650 protected cells :)

grayhighh

Enlightened
I like the rubber of the g2x. Also the 100 lumens difference will not be a problem for me since my eyes cant see the different. Ill buy the g2x.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
My TK22 is supposed to be here already, USPS guy is running a little behind this morning :rolleyes:, other wise I would tell you how it compared to the TK15 R5 directly. However, I will say a couple things based off real world experience between XM-L lights and XP-G lights. I have and use a TK15 as my main light at work and absolutely love the thing. Recently I got a chance to play around with an XM-L drop-in light and I was blown away. It was around 600'ish lumens and kept up with the TK15 for all intensive purposes. When you whitewalled the two, you could tell the TK15 was slightly more intense but, in real world use the limit of my TK15 was pretty much the same as the limit on the XM-L. You may have been able to see a couple feet farther, but nothing majorly useful.

The big surprise was just how much more you could see with the XM-L compared to the tight beam on the TK15. I felt like I had tunnel vision when I switched back to the TK15. That huge spot of light made is so much easier to search with. All you had to do was just point in the general direction and the whole area was lit up. No more searching around with a little spot of light. I could also 'perceive' that the XM-L was brighter even though it wasn't quite as intense. It definitely was very nice to use.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has a nicer hotspot, more throw, and brighter spill beam. The new TK15 S2 also has a really white beam. I thought the PD32 S2 had a nice white beam compared to my other Fenix lights, but the new TK 15 S2 is even whiter. Gives s nice true color rendition at night!! I really did not think the TK11 was that much brighter than my PD32 S2, because the Tk11 was not as white and had a darker spill beam. This TK 15 S2 is great. I had the dealer compare the TK 15S2 with the TK 21 before I bought, and they said the TK 15 S2 put a nicer whiter beam on the wall, so I went with it. Glad I did.

That's also my experience with TK15 S2. Very nice white tint! And at 400lm it throws good and with a pretty bright spill. While the hotspot is small I find the corona compensates a lot.

I purchased the tk15s2 and should be coming in the mail tomorrow. I needed a light exclusively for work (I work nights). I needed a light that can reach a good 150m and I first ran into the tk22. As much as it was 650lm and knowing its brute force will reach those meters, I just didn't like that it was on the larger side of a light (I like compact) and need more of a concentrated beam and not a flood light. I already have a klarus xt2c that shoots almost 500 lumens of a wide floody beam with a nice hotspot so I'm covered there.

Enter the tk15s2. Aesthetically it looks great, it's super compact, and at 400 lumens with an xpg emitter and a deep smooth reflector, it's definitely a compact thrower with a useful spill. UI is simple and it's waterproof. Can't wait!

I am looking forward to know your opinion about it!

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
The big surprise was just how much more you could see with the XM-L compared to the tight beam on the TK15. I felt like I had tunnel vision when I switched back to the TK15. That huge spot of light made is so much easier to search with. All you had to do was just point in the general direction and the whole area was lit up. No more searching around with a little spot of light. I could also 'perceive' that the XM-L was brighter even though it wasn't quite as intense. It definitely was very nice to use.

You are absolutely right about being able to see more with an XML especially if a light has over 600+ lumens of brute force. I recently saw a video by Marshall from goinggear on YouTube on the Maelstrom S12. It has over 800 lumens and the light is both floody and throwy (it can reach 300 yds). Holy crap I haven't been impressed by a one cell light that small until I saw that. Too bad even tho it is short, it's pretty stubby and hard to pocket (it takes 1x 26650 battery) but talk about a flame thrower! But I think certain situations call for certain type of lights.

I work in an emergency shelter and the place is pretty much lit wherever you go so your immediate surroundings is taken care of. I just need that extra throw to look a little farther when kids choose to leave the facility without permission. So I don't necessarily need the extra spill you get with an XML but the tk15s2 does have a little bit of useful spill and is not a laser beam.

I love my xt2c which is an XML and is easily pocketable and can illuminate up to 100 yds and my immediate surroundings. The fenix 15s2 I think will complement it fairly well while is still pocketable. If only there was an EDC light that can throw and flood with a UI Like the Klarus' xt line, I wouldn't spend so much time and money looking for that perfect EDC light lol

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
You are absolutely right about being able to see more with an XML especially if a light has over 600+ lumens of brute force. I recently saw a video by Marshall from goinggear on YouTube on the Maelstrom S12. It has over 800 lumens and the light is both floody and throwy (it can reach 300 yds). Holy crap I haven't been impressed by a one cell light that small until I saw that. Too bad even tho it is short, it's pretty stubby and hard to pocket (it takes 1x 26650 battery) but talk about a flame thrower! But I think certain situations call for certain type of lights.

The Maelstrom S12 has a SST-90 not a XM-L.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
I am looking forward to know your opinion about it!

Got my fenix tk15s2 a few hours ago and ill go ahead and tell you my initial impressions. Love love love this light and I probably cannot recommend it more. Out of the box, fit and finish is flawless. Also, it's a lot smaller than I thought! It's smaller than my own hand. I thought people were crazy to edc a light this size, but now I know why people do!

Very strong clip and the on button presses very nice. Not to stiff, not too spongy.

Now what impressed me about this light is its beam. It's got a beauuuuutiful super white beam with a very very concentrated hot spot, with a surprisingly nice, decently sized usable spill. Probably my favorite part about the light.

The fenix UI is probably just as good as my klarus xt2c's UI. Although the mode switch is towards the front of the light, it's surprisingly convenient to use. When being held in a tactical grip, you can use your pinky to switch between outputs. If you don't want to hold the light in a tactical grip, you can simply use your thumb. Idk how you can press the mode button on the klarus without holding it in a tactical grip.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase. I completely recommend it. It's a solid solid compact powerhouse and I can't wait to use it at work!

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
When somebody does a review of the TK22 can you make a picture of it right next to a Fenx TK15 s2 (or the original)? I'd like to see an accurate size comparison. Is the TK22 supposed to be the same size as the TK21?

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Just got the TK22 in the mail. I will upload some photos tonight of the old TK15 against the TK22 and some beam shots if my camera allows. Looks like I'm going to have a busy lunch tonight.