Real World Review – Swiss+Tech LED Pocket Flashlight

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the "Real World Reviews"?
Over the years a lot of my fellow "flashaholics" have developed some pretty sophisticated methods for measuring nearly every conceivable technical aspect of the illumination products on the market and providing us with that detailed information. The focus on the "Real World Reviews" is to take that "laboratory" information out into real world conditions to give the reader an idea of how the numbers translate into actual use.

Swiss+Tech LED Pocket, 1xAAA, Keychain Light
$8.00 (USD)
URL: http://www.swisstechtools.com/proddetail.aspx?pid=40
40-1.jpg

What you get:
A 3-3/8" x 1/2" diameter keychain light with a small lanyard

Initial Impression(s)
This light was small and thin with what appeared to be a decently manufactured case. The light had an "O" ring sealing the head and the "reverse-clicky" end-cap was a rubber button. The light appears to be at least "dunkable". The output is a hotspot with some flood and my sample was tinted pretty severely into the blue range.

Output (In "DaleUnits"): Not tested. Very low.

(NOTE: The "DaleMeter" is an un-calibrated, bit of DIY test equipment that I use to give a rough idea of relative brightness. The standard baseline for the DaleMeter is a stock incandescent MagCharger which measures at 190 "Daleunits". The "DaleMeter" has a known bias against "Flood" type lights so their numbers tend to be inaccurately low. I am trying to figure out a better design).

=====================================================================================
The "Standard Evening Walk" starts out with the targets set up in my backyard and then takes place over either a 1.5 or a 2.5 mile loop on an unlit and mostly open grassy area with a couple of short, steep, uphill/downhill gravel trails which I call the "confidence course". The typical constant runtime is roughly 45-60 minutes.

I have placed a series of six white plastic squares measuring 5"x5" to trees in my back yard. Target testing includes being able to see the target and the neutral brown trees (or the grey fence) to which the targets are affixed.
1) 20ft (6 yards / 6 meters): Yeah, this was pretty much the extent of it's range.

Due to it's low lumen capability this light was not taken on the evening walk.
=====================================================================================

I just don't have a lot to say about this light. It's a slim little pocket or keychain light that probably wouldn't come on accidentally and might have some durability. It's also dirt cheap. Unfortunately it has very little power and an awful tint. I see this light serving well as a bedstand/ bathroom-run light or as an inexpensive gift to a friend. I could also see some utility as an "in the tent" light when you don't want to blind yourself or others.

Summary:
This light is small, light decently constructed and has excellent runtime. However it is fairly dim and has a severe blue tint to the beam. It might serve well as a bedstand/keychain/inside the tent light when you want duration but there are many other lights that offer more ability for the same size

NOT RECOMMENDED.

amr14

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! This item is an inexpensive LED flashlight that is perfect for carrying in the pocket- good for techs that need a quick light to see in tight spots. Durable enough to step on and not get crushed. Can be hung with the lanyard or held in the mouth in a pinch! And if you haven't guessed yet, I work for Swiss+Tech! I reference this forum because it has great info and technical data, so when I see something about ST, you know I gotta say something!
-Swiss+Tech Products

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the review and fresh animal!

yourenextl1.jpg

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Thank you for the review and fresh animal!

Thanks for the review. I saw them today in a big box home center store selling for about $4.99 and wondered about their quality.