Maelstrom X7 question

2swift

Newly Enlightened
Just received this light and put it on a shotgun and had a quick question.
I was wondering on how loose the head is supposed to be?

Is the head of light able to wobble when cycling down modes?
It is tight obviously when running turbo, but when I loosen the head, it has noticeable movement to the point that it will change modes when the head of the light is bumped.

I understand there will be some play when loosening I'm just wondering how much is normal for these lights.

Wish I could explain it better.

I was going to call foursevens but thought I'd get your thoughts on this first.

Thanks

weez82

Enlightened
any light that has a loosened head will have play, the more it's loosened the more play it will have. So yes, it's normal. As for your problem of mode changing when bumping, dont bump the light so hard. I have the G5 and just now tested it on low and had to bump the light hard to get it to flash a brighter mode.

2swift

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick response.
It is loose enough that it does not require a hard bump.
The recoil of the 12 gauge shooting buck and slugs is enough to get it to get it to change modes.

Obviously a non issue when on turbo but on high it will change when shooting.

It is used to control wild hogs at night that are causing damage.
I need the runtime on high not turbo to complete the jobs. Love it on turbo.
This light is awesome. It replaced a 5 year old tk11 that has seen thousands of rounds.

Sorry I was not as clear in my first post.

GreySave

Enlightened
2Swift, I have the same problem with a G5 and X7. To my way of thinking it is a design issue and you are correct that once it gets bad enough it does not take much of a tap to get the light to change modes. Might be a warrantable item. I elected not to worry about with mine as they are locked in the Turbo mode 99% of the time anyway. In your case its use as a weapon light may have made the problem more prevalent. I did not change modes that often so there really was no vlaid reason for a well cared for and lubricated light to develop this condition.

2swift

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.
Reckon it's going to be full power on for me which I'm sure is its intended purpose as a weapon light.
I just hate the idea of having it strobe or change modes when I have to go in after a wounded hog and the shooting starts.

Liked the runtime and power on the secondary. Might just have to stick with my old tk 11.
I was just trying to upgrade my lighting. Plus this X7 is a neutral white which helps me with the color rendition. Ill give it another run or two before contacting 4sevens. I just got it but don't want to beat it to death with the shotgun. Maybe I got a bad one I don't know. Thanks again for y'alls help.

Anyone want to make other suggestions as to a weapon light that compares to the X7?
Surefire
Zebralight
Fenix
Nitecore
4sevens
are the ones I have had experience with.

Fenix and Surfire are the only weapon lights I've tried till the X7.

Latest posts