Is my new Fenix LD01 Cree R4 faulty?

Tachylyte

Newly Enlightened
Hi all
I have just bought a Fenix LD01 R4 from an online retailer here in the UK. The medium setting on the LD01 seems like it will be great for general use and hopefully night hiking, the low setting perfect for reading and the high setting has surprising wow factor for such a small light. After taking delivery earlier this week I was initially very pleased with the light -- it seemed a very good upgrade to my old L0D RB80, which has a form factor which I like but I felt for years that it had never really been up to the job.
Unfortunately I noticed yesterday that the medium and low settings on my new LD01 suddenly are basically the same. They are meant to be 26lm and 3lm respectively but now are virtually identical in output and certainly much less than 26lm. I know the eye can be quite poor at discriminating differences in light output but I could detect a significant difference between the low and medium mode earlier in the week and now I can't. I've tried different batteries (GP Ultra and Energizer alkalines and Fujimax 1.2V 1100mAh NiMh -- I was planning to use the NiHh routinely) and have cleaned the contacts in the light with a cotton bud/Q-Tip. I've also tried running the light on high for a half hour or so to see if a change in the amount of charge affected things (most of the batteries I've tried have been fairly fresh), but that didn't remedy the problem -- still no medium output.
I've e-mailed the retailer to ask whether they can suggest anything but fear that I might be returning the unit to them for replacement/repair. Has anybody had a similar problem with the LD01? Thanks in advance for any suggestions/explanations.
Chris

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, on low and medium the LD01 outputs the roughly same amount of light, yet high still outputs the same level as before this problem? and you tried different cells, not of the same chemistry? I see one rechargeable cell in your list. Try charging that cell fully and then inserting it in to the LD01. Still the same? then return the LD01 as defective.

I have never had a problem like that. usually during a lower cell voltage condtion, the high output and the medium output are nearly the same. Never the low and medium output. seems defective to me.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] I have never had a problem like that. usually during a lower cell voltage condtion, the high output and the medium output are nearly the same. Never the low and medium output.
Same here. Sounds odd to me, I wouldn't blame the cell either. :thinking:

Last edited:

Tachylyte

Newly Enlightened
I see one rechargeable cell in your list. Try charging that cell fully and then inserting it in to the LD01. Still the same? then return the LD01 as defective. .

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried this and it unfortunately hasn't helped. Looks like l'll have to see what the retailer can do for me.

tam17

Enlightened
Tried changing modes really quickly to see if anything happens? New LD01 drivers require very quick turning on/off or they refuse to change modes. This quirk and a dry O-ring almost made me return my LD01 R4 right after purchase - it skipped modes and behaved erratically.

Cheers

Tachylyte

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion tam17. I've tried changing modes at all sorts of speeds -- I'm fairly certain that it is cycling through the modes OK. It just seems that the modes first two modes are giving the wrong output. Whatever I do the first two settings are identical (and low) and the third mode is very bright.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestion tam17. I've tried changing modes at all sorts of speeds -- I'm fairly certain that it is cycling through the modes OK. It just seems that the modes first two modes are giving the wrong output. Whatever I do the first two settings are identical (and low) and the third mode is very bright.

Fenix has 18 months of FREE warranty services, good luck.

tam17

Enlightened
Fenix has 18 months of FREE warranty services, good luck.

All my Fenixes came with a 24-month warranty card provided by local distributor and a 6-month extension provided by Fenix itself upon product registration (equals 30 months of free warranty service in total). Have they changed it recently? :confused:

Cheers

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never had a problem like that. usually during a lower cell voltage condtion, the high output and the medium output are nearly the same. Never the low and medium output. seems defective to me.
On the Fenix LD20/22 and LD10/12 that happens when you put in fresh alkaline or lithium batteries. Once the voltage drops, you get the actual low output. I'm not sure if that happens on the LD01 too. In any case, if you have tried with Nihms and you had the issue it might mean your light is defective.