Fix or replace burnt out lamp on old school Surefire L4?

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Hi All. I tried doing a search on this first, but am not having any success.

As the title indicates, my old school L4 finally gave up the ghost. Can I get the lamp repaired, or do I need to replace the whole L4 head? Thanks in advance.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hi All. I tried doing a search on this first, but am not having any success.

As the title indicates, my old school L4 finally gave up the ghost. Can I get the lamp repaired, or do I need to replace the whole L4 head? Thanks in advance.

:thinking: ... L4 has an LED, not a lamp.

If you would provide a bit more detail, I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice :)

SureFire has excellent warranty and customer service, BTW :thumbsup:

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I don't have much in the way of details. The L4 went dark on me recently. I used an L1 head on the L4 flashlight body to make sure that it was a problem with the head and not any other part of the flashlight. The L1 head works fine, so it must be the L4 head.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Calling SureFire customer service and describing the situation would most likely get you a solution.

Note that there have been various different LED emitters in the L4 over time, so it is possible that yours might be replaced by a newer version....

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Surefire doesn't replace it under warranty, take a look at the VME Malkoff Valiant Concepts head and put a Malkoff M61 in it.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Test using known-good batteries. Essentially dead cells might still light up the single-cell L1 head, but not the two-cell L4 head.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that is an old old l4 it probably has a luxV led. It is a four die led like an mce or p7. You could send it to a modder o have the led replaced which will give you a big boost in output or send it back to surefire.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
I really like the idea of sending it to a modder. I have dealt with Milky in the past but do not see him under the modder section. Is he still in the business? If not, can anyone tell me who works on Surefires? I live in central NJ. Thanks much.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modding sounds premature since you don't know if the problem is a dead driver, dead LED, or dead batteries.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Modding sounds premature since you don't know if the problem is a dead driver, dead LED, or dead batteries.

Batteries were replaced with fresh ones. The contact where the bottom of the head meets the battery seems to have torn away from the black plastic that surrounds it, so there is no contact being made with the top of the battery.

tsl

Enlightened
Batteries were replaced with fresh ones. The contact where the bottom of the head meets the battery seems to have torn away from the black plastic that surrounds it, so there is no contact being made with the top of the battery.
I suggest that you call Surefire and explain the situation to them. I imagine they would give you a RMA to send the light back for them to either repair or replace the head. If then you wanted to have it modded, you would at least have a functional head for a modder to work with.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate all the suggestions. I have not gotten a response from SF to my email from last week, so I imagine a call makes more sense. Cheers.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
I followed the advice of sending my L4 back to SF for repair. To my astonishment, they gave me a new flashlight. That is some serious customer service.