How come nobody talks about dereelight?

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading this forum for a while and just heard about dereelight. How come dereelight isn't more popular? I love the pill idea. Want a bright white? Warm? Just swap out the pills. Given Haitz's law of logarithmic LED growth... this seems perfect.

Yet in the show me your lights threads people can literally have 300 flashlights and might have 1 but probably no dereelight's.

I don't get it. The light has a lot of positives to it. Am I missing something? What are the negatives? Why isn't this more popular?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight is pretty small and doesn't push new products like others. As for the pill idea, yeah, it's pretty neat, but it's nothing other P60 hosts can't do.

What sets Dereelights apart from other manufacturers is the fact that you can do some crazy lego with it. Heck, I cobbled together one myself and ended up with the Javelin Shorty, which has a rather disproportionate amount of throw for its size.

Dereelight has come out with a couple of new models, the Night Master and XSearcher, both of them catering to the thrower market.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have only ever owned a Dereelight CL1H and was very unhappy with the fit and finish, quite expensive for what is basically a P60 host .

Did you notice how far back you had to dig to find the reviews that you linked?

Norm

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen several threads just recently on the DBS which is made by Dereelight.
That is probably their most popular product.
The Javelin was popular until Dereelight switched to the XPG, which ruined the throw, and then nobody bought the Javelin anymore.

I think Dereelight has some potential. I also think they have made some mistakes in understanding the desires of their market, and have had some spotty QC issues.
People have come to expect Dereelights to be throwers. They should stick to that, and produce lights which will fill those expectations. A Dereelight Javelin with an XPG that doesn't throw better than a Quark is not going to be a seller.

Vesper

Enlightened
I have two and love using them. They're definitely lego-able. There's been lots of Dereelight discussion in the "Dedicated Throwers" thread over the last year.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight is pretty small and doesn't push new products like others. As for the pill idea, yeah, it's pretty neat, but it's nothing other P60 hosts can't do.

What sets Dereelights apart from other manufacturers is the fact that you can do some crazy lego with it. Heck, I cobbled together one myself and ended up with the Javelin Shorty, which has a rather disproportionate amount of throw for its size.
That's pretty cool, but is it really any different to what you can do with a Solarforce host? A few months back I bought a L2M 2012 Edition host, this has a shorty 1xRCR body or with the included extension 1x18650. I run it in the shorty mode with the Manafont Ultrafire 3 mode XM-L T6 drop in. All up under $30 including shipping for something that chucks out a tonne of light and still out throws my XP-G lights.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I would say that I am still rather new to the high-end light scene, as I have only been collecting for a few years,
but for the most part, I know enough to get by. I'm just not all that into the modding part of it all.

..and dereelight's website makes my head spin.

For the average-joe wandering around with a 2 C-cell dollar store light, I am a wealth of information, but I can't
tell them to head over to dereelight and build their own. It's too complicated and too pricey.

duro

Enlightened
If you're a flashaholic, you need a DBS. EZ 900 XRE, Aspheric lens, come on now....

Ragnar66

Enlightened
My Nightmaster is the only light that never gets switched out. I bought 4 more my our dept.......amazing light.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

They're a slow & steady kind of company,
if you look at what they offer, they have the basis covered including some wicked aspherics.
{the XSearcher has an XM-L driven @ 2.8A behind a 70mm aspheric head}

They need to bring back the great anodize of a few years ago,,, really tired of HAII'ish black.

:poke: Alan ,,,bring back that true HAIII military green/grey of the original CL1H V1

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty cool, but is it really any different to what you can do with a Solarforce host? A few months back I bought a L2M 2012 Edition host, this has a shorty 1xRCR body or with the included extension 1x18650. I run it in the shorty mode with the Manafont Ultrafire 3 mode XM-L T6 drop in. All up under $30 including shipping for something that chucks out a tonne of light and still out throws my XP-G lights.

L2M is larger than Javelin Shorty.

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
I got hooked on them a while back when I followed the Dedicated Throwers thread. It's good lego, but their site is very poorly built for the regular user. I can only recommend The DBS V3 with EZ1000 pill from vinhnguyen54 and the 2xCR123 body + aspheric head with Dereelight EZ900 pill, they are some astonishing throwers with quite some "wow-factor." in 'em. The build quality is in the same category as Solarforce but the Deree switch could be better. Note, the DBS reflector is compatible with P60 pills. Just unscrew it from the P60 reflector and install it in the DBS reflector - works like a charm.

A reason they're not very pop in this forum could be because of the poorly design of the driver. They now got the "tactical" option (loose/tighten the head) which probably makes the GUI better. I'm not gonna buy any more from them in the future though. For legoing I'm experimenting with some Solarforce L2P bodies and available add-ons. Misses the IPX-8 though.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the P60 pill format of the DBS and have cycled thru LED changes (XR-E, MC-E, SST-50, XP-G, XM-L) at minimal cost over the years w/o having to buy new lights (although that didn't stop me from buying plenty anyway...). I rarely use Deerelight pills though. Right now I have a DBS V3 with a 2.1A XP-G2 and an Aspherical with a 2.1A EZ900. The DBS with diffuser is both a flood and thrower, and the ASP is just amazing for it's size.

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
I really like the P60 pill format of the DBS and have cycled thru LED changes (XR-E, MC-E, SST-50, XP-G, XM-L) at minimal cost over the years w/o having to buy new lights (although that didn't stop me from buying plenty anyway...). I rarely use Deerelight pills though. Right now I have a DBS V3 with a 2.1A XP-G2 and an Aspherical with a 2.1A EZ900. The DBS with diffuser is both a flood and thrower, and the ASP is just amazing for it's size.

How are the DBS XP-G2 2.1A vs. XP-G R5? Does it run cool for extended runs?

langham

Enlightened
I think it is obvious that most people on here don't care to switch things out. They don't care to mod anything, or update it. I have seen a lot of information to support that people either buy several lights to do the job of one LEGO light, or just buy a new one when a new emitter becomes available. I personally do not trust LEGO lights when it comes to heat sinking, I have to have heat sink compound between every threaded union and make sure that the star is thermally installed to the pill. I am too cheap to buy an expensive throw light, I mean come on all they are good for is showing off, they serve no useful purpose.

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
I think it is obvious that most people on here don't care to switch things out. They don't care to mod anything, or update it. I have seen a lot of information to support that people either buy several lights to do the job of one LEGO light, or just buy a new one when a new emitter becomes available. I personally do not trust LEGO lights when it comes to heat sinking, I have to have heat sink compound between every threaded union and make sure that the star is thermally installed to the pill. I am too cheap to buy an expensive throw light, I mean come on all they are good for is showing off, they serve no useful purpose.

I all depends on the drop-in you get for your lego light and how you wrap it. A host is a host.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

___________________________^

Wrong answer

davyro

Enlightened
I own about 6 or 7 what i'd call high end lights & they're really great lights but my Dereelight is my thrower i love it for my camping nights out it's rugged & well built.They have never let me down even after quite a bit of abuse so i'm a happy Dereelight owner.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are the DBS XP-G2 2.1A vs. XP-G R5? Does it run cool for extended runs?

It's a 3-mode driver so I use High sparingly (5 - 10 mins. or so) as medium is pretty bright. Haven't noticed any heat issues, but the pill is solder filled and the threads with Arctic Silver. Definitely brighter and throws farther than the R5 I used to have.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a 3-mode driver so I use High sparingly (5 - 10 mins. or so) as medium is pretty bright. Haven't noticed any heat issues, but the pill is solder filled and the threads with Arctic Silver. Definitely brighter and throws farther than the R5 I used to have.

Is this something Nailbender put together for you? I've been tempted to get an XP-G2 for my DBS, but haven't heard any views on the newer emitter in the XP-G reflector.