Can I direct drive an sst90 with 4x 14500 cells?

Epsilon

Enlightened
In series: definatly no. The voltage is way to high (3.7 * 4) which will instantly fry the sst90. Parallel is possible. If you want to use series, you can use regular NiMH rechargeables.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
I think series eneloops is a better solution as they've been shown to hold up well up in the 10A discharge range.

Yeh, I forgot to mention that bit. Definitely in parrallel. I'm just not too familiar with these kind of batteries. I get the impression 4x nimh won't have much current. Will the current from 4x 14500 be too much for the led? Would I be better off running a single 26650 or 32650? I hope I explained myself better this time.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
Why do you think that? Eneloops IMO would do a better job and have been shown to hold about 1v at 10A draw which should be plenty tto power an SST-90 with some parasitic resistance.

4x 1.5v = 6v So with some resistance 6v won't kill the led? Roughly how long a runtime might I expect from eneloops? I don't mean to put them down, I'm just asking the question(s) because I'm a noob:eek:

Epsilon

Enlightened
4x 1.5v = 6v So with some resistance 6v won't kill the led? Roughly how long a runtime might I expect from eneloops? I don't mean to put them down, I'm just asking the question(s) because I'm a noob:eek:
Eneloops and all NiMH cells are 1.2v. Loaded with 10A, they sag to around 1v each, which is ideal for an stt90.

Runtime is very short at those currents though. Even if an eneloop could use 2000mAh at those current levels, this would mean a runtime of 12minutes. But in reality, you will a minutes or so of the full 10A, then it will drop and keep around 5A for a few minutes before dropping even further.

As I understand 1.2v is nominal voltage. At full charge they are 1.5v. Just like li-ion is 3.6v nominal and 4.1v at full charge. Lipo is 3.7v and 4.2v at full charge. I was hoping 4x 14500 being li-ion might hold higher current for a little longer than nimh but if they are much of a muchness there doesn't seem much point in going with li-ion.